Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Butts Aerowing-The Only Way To Fly

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Tim Butts 1977 prototype

I sure would like to talk again to Tim, he left Michigan when we got the Butts/areowing drag boat running. I know you circle boaters are not interested in drag's back then but this is more about one of the winningest boats from 78-85 and it was on a Butts hydro. It measured out from the tip of the sponson to the after plane 14' 11". The engine was a first year V-6 Evinrude 1976 200hp on a racing V-4 midsection and gearcase. One year later Evinrude people (Tom Ireland) saved me the last of 50 factory new racing CCC engines. Tim I wish to say your a man of your word, you built one of the safest boats one would ever drive at that speed. Your boat won a total of 38 of 44 events entered. It beat Ron Jones hydro's and several others during those years. From VA to CA the aerowing was the boat to beat. I have some pictures if your intersted later I could share with you. I hope you guy's get Tim back to look at what your running, he would make suggestions that could only help you to strive and achieve your goals of safety and speed. Take care.

Pat Golba

Post Thanks / Like

Pat, we'd be very interested in seeing pictures and hearing more about it

Your detail about the CCC was interesting as well; coincidentially I just finished scanning the CCC parts list/owner's manual
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Roy Alexander

Good Evening,

Jeff & Bryan,
    The boat I remember was all wood finish. Little, if any, and a duct tape X for a number. There was a BUTT'S emblem on each side near the transom. VERY VERY FAST. It may have been Roy Alexander.

Jeff,
    Bryan and I were re-living the glory days of C Service Runabout last month at Lake Placid Florida. Carelton Place was a hot bed for C service Runabouts for a long time. We were trying to remember the drivers in that era. Stan McDonald, the Wellans, the Hagmans, Les St. Pierre, and that CZ-1 DeSilva of yours. There were more, but Brian and I are getting old and the memory is fading. Will we ever see the CZ-1 make a comeback? That was an awesome class!

RussW

Post Thanks / Like

Default rawson rediesign

Hey Jeff,

I have not had much time too build baots lately but I have some plans done for the 3 boats. I went over all these with Dave R. Attached are the DSH DMH and FEH that I have redesigned. I also have a 25SSH Boat drawn and a D classic hydro boat as well. these are now all in Cad at full size.

I still Ian Thorpe's Rasoncraft SCCH and I found and now own Gresco F44 boat which will require full restoration as a butcher was at it.

Regards,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Scott
    Ottawa, Canada
    Need Race Parts - http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
    www.aimoutboards.com

20-CE DSH
    20-CE DMH

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cz-1

A 'lytle' off topic here, [do we have a CSrR thread?] but here is a pic of
    the infamous CZ-1 in action, with 'we all no whom' at the helm. The Lytle's, Sr.& Jr., made a cameo apearance in this rig a few years back at a AOMC meet in ON. It is part of a well cared for collection owned by retired Canadian racer Ken Kirk. CZ-1 still holds some CDN records.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aojesus
    Good Evening,

Jeff & Bryan,
    The boat I remember was all wood finish. Little, if any, and a duct tape X for a number. There was a BUTT'S emblem on each side near the transom. VERY VERY FAST. It may have been Roy Alexander.
    Now I remember!! (I think?)

As I recall, one of the last races we had there was attended by Raymond Ratitius (SP?) who was Vic Pede's Brother in law. Guess he caught the racing bug while attending races with his sister Sylvia and Vic. Vic used to race 250ccH untill his death at a race in Acworth Georgia.
    Raymond purchaced and engine from Bill Wanamaker ( Canadian Doug Thompson raced his stuff ) and a new Butts lay down. He was still rigging it in the pits at Carelton place it was so new. Was this the boat you remember?
    I wish I knew where it was.........It had less than 10 heats on it.
    Last edited by Jeff Lytle; 02-19-2006 at 12:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crankbearing
    I found and now own Gresco F44 boat which will require full restoration as a butcher was at it.
    The last time I saw that boat, it was being driven by Bob Abbott with a 44 on it. He got it from Tom Bird.
    It was painted yellow with sposors names on the sides.

Where in the heck did you find it?

Also----I am really impressed with the drawings, and shocked at how similar they look to John Yales designs of 25 years ago!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aojesus
    Will we ever see the CZ-1 make a comeback?

RussW
    Hey Russ............The last time I took her for a spin was in Clayton NY a number of years ago. Ken called me up out of the blue and asked me if I wanted to take her for a spin!
    Honestly, I really doubt I 'll be able to ever drive again, let alone start one of those old buggers. I've got some medical issues that'll probably prevent it. Lot's of good memories though. In that pic Brian posted to my inside is Mike Willan, the fastest and best driver to come from the Willan family in my opinion.
    And the pic was taken at Carelton Place.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Pat!!

I remember seeing a video of what I think was your boat. I remember it was a Butts, with a big OMC monster on it.

I saw it at a boat show years ago. I remember the boat launching through the 1/4 and hanging high as a Butts always did. The engine had a small blubber, so the front dropped down, but lifted up high and hung there when the engine cleared out. IMPRESSIVE!

I too would love to see your pics!

Post Thanks / Like

Default mystery Butts

Hey Jeff,
    In my previous post I mis-typed a sentence. It should have said...
    All wood, no paint, duct tape X. I want to remember it as a lay-down boat but can't be certain. It was beautiful though.
    I remember talking to you at the Clayton show a few years back and the CZ-1 was there. I was able to buy back my old '69 Austin BSR at that show.
    Many great boats and drivers ran at Carelton Place! My birthday always fell on the Carelton Place weekend so Mom always brought a big hydro shaped cake and we passed it around the pits. Many great memories of watching the Alkies at Carelton Place!

RussW

Thread Information