Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Butts Aerowing-The Only Way To Fly

Free Spirit Racing Team wboxell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default after windwalker ????

in the next few years after the fla trip with windwalker (84 or 85) i remember talking to tim about a couple of projects

the first was an outboard drag boat. i saw that boat mentioned in this tread but no pics? can someone post some?

the second (old man disease (OMD) really a problem now) was a opc/tunnel type boat that tim built and drove? think he told me he blew it over on the back stretch at dayton?? if this isn't a total case of OMD can someone post pics of that boat????

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[the genesis of windwalker happened at a race or straitaway in the early 80's. we were bs ing and some guy is looking at tim's boat. really looking. we were waiting for the tape measure or large sheets of tracing paper to come out. we (tim) did a ha how's it going. turns out he was a RC hull builder. tim and the guy (tim to fill in name) talked and i listened. i do not think tim had seen those boats run. i had shortly before that. at that time they were 4-4.5 ft boats running 70-80mph. do the math, maybe 250 scale mph.

I got into r/c boats a few years ago and was talking to Tom Pryzenka (sp?),
    the owner of Octura Propellers. I told him that I had been into kneel down
    boats and he pretty much relayed the same story to me but had never
    heard from Tim as to whether or not the boat was built or tried out. I
    had a few shots from the pits at Dayton so sent them to him to show
    that it had indeed been built....never saw the boat run after that...thinking
    that the boat was built for a 500 but Tim had blown his up and was
    trying it out with a 350 at Dayton.

Free Spirit Racing Team wboxell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 45 ss aero cat

talked to tim at depue about this boat. tim said " Bill i got that boat running 90 mph with that FISHING motor on it". "it's the only time i had all the money i wanted to build a boat". that was the good news. then " but i couldn't get it to turn". i had remembered something about and ask, didn't you blow it over? "no i barrel rolled it. twice! " guess you couldn't get it to turn

i know earlier in this thread joe talked about rule changes on the fly at dayton regarding this boat but tim didn't bring that up.

it was great to see tim and meet ryan

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim brought these two pics of the Aero Cat to DePue. I don't know if there are any others, but no pics of the bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I met Tim at Depue this year. I have Malcom Harden's E18 A Alky boat. It is still beautiful. It was on the top of my trailer and Tim had been searching all over the pits on the ground for it. I had brought it to put my 44 mod merc on it and test it. But as I run Antique Cs I didn't have the time so I never unloaded it. We had quite a talk and I found a lot out about the boat. It had everything done to it to make it light. I have some pics and will try to attach one. It now sports my number instead of Malcom's E18 but other than that I have made no color changes or painted over anything. Mr. Nydahl introduced Tim to me.
    David Everhart S52
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a great boat. Malcolm was a fine competitor. I actually first met Malcolm and Tom at DePue in 1970 or 71, and they were pitted either next to Tim and us or only a couple of trailers away. I was hoping Malcolm might show up.

Composite Specialties

Default Mal's Boat

David, I actually purchased that boat from Mal in the 80's when he started building his own boats. I ran a Yamato 250cc on it, then started building my own 250cc boats. later, I sold it back to mal and he restored the boat. When did you get it from Mal?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Back togeather again....

My Rawson/dalton hydro &Glenn Coates" VC 73319 will be back togeather at
    Rideau Ferry the weakend after next. Sorry it won"t be running this year.
    Needsome parts....(flywheel &gaurd & check valve ) Next year? Also have 12 FT. runabout & 350 / mid 60"s Koing....should be in the water ...running? only need checkvalve ....ANY HELP!!!!!!...DD

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave.............You can buy check valves at any industrial HVAC supply store. The Konig valves have the adjustable blow offs that need to be set at a specific pressure to work. I have a Konig check valve that dosn't seal, but the blow off works. use it before the HVAC valve inline and it'll work fine.

You are welcome to use it if you wish. (Now all I'll have to do is find it!)

Post Thanks / Like

As an HVAC tech, I will tell you that not all HVAC places will have the check valves or even know what you are asking for. You have to find a place that has parts for pneumatic controls; which are becoming less common all the time.

Ask for "a check valve for pneumatic controls" They will either point you to a little cabinet of widgets & tiny brass fittings or tell you they don't have any pneumatic stuff.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Thread Information