Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Butts Aerowing-The Only Way To Fly

Post Thanks / Like

Marc
    I got the boat from Bob Blackley. He got it from Malcom about 6 or 7 years ago so that he could have a nice Butz for his grandson to run PR on it, but it never happened. It was stored inside a trailer in Bobby's yard and I aquirred it along with other "stuff" just before Bob passed away last fall. I want to run a Mod 44 on it but haven't done it yet alto I have ran a Cmod Merc on it. With my weight and only a C it isn't quite enough motor to hang it up there just yet. It sure is a beautiful old boat altho I don't have the cowl and the rumble seat had been removed. I used tiger stripe mahogany marine plywood and reinforced the cockpit sides so that I didn't blow them out as without the rumble seat the sides were very fragile.
    David Everhart S52.

PS An Antique PR isn't enough to get it up either, The bottom isn't quite wide enough

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default speaking of getting it up........

.........Tim gave me these at the reunion to post. It occurred during kilos on the Brazos River near Waco, Texas in 1980. Tim had made a previous run with his Ron Anderson Konig and he felt the motor was starving for fuel. Tim had been turning around 10,000. Those 700 cc Konigs could really suck the fuel down and Tim figured the pop off on the Konig relief valve was blowing off to much to keep enough fuel fed to his 4 cylinder Konig. He unscrewed the brass tube, removed the spring, stretched it some, then fit it back in the checkvalve.

As Tim started to enter the traps he looked down and saw he was turning 10,400. As he was looking at the tach, he started over. Too late to bring it down. It happened just across from where the launching ramp was where you entered the river. The river that day was a little flighty with certain places that a boat would get squirrely. This is the incident where Tim's parachute didn't deploy properly and he rolled in the water with parts of the cord and chute wrapping tightly around his neck. It had to be cut off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Poor Tim

My Daughter Was In Waco She Was 3 1/2 At The Time. When Tim

Fliped The Sponson Was Broken Off . My Daughter Christy Said Look

Daddy Tim Busted His S. ----the Number On The Boat Was US 1----------did We Laugh About That After We Found Out Tim Was Ok. Children Do Say The Funniest Things.

Free Spirit Racing Team wboxell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default was this the boat doing the flying ????

was this the boat doing the flying or it's older brother???

wayne, what's your guess on speed at 10400 rpm?

Free Spirit Racing Team wboxell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default great legs !

is this the boat that started this thread???

pic had 82 written on the back of it. looks like spray problem is fixed now.

don't remember where this was.

Post Thanks / Like

The first time Tim came down to test the boat at our house I didn't take pictures. His motor wouldn't run then because it was catching water. I took pictures the second time, but he may still have had some water problems then after making corrections. I will have some more info on this coming up later on Amazing Story Bill.

In the last couple of weeks I have been trying to organize all the correspondence so I can find stuff easier and then refile it. You can't imagine how much time I lose trying to find something I remember seeing, but don't know where it is. Choosing which file is sometimes the tough part. Such as this letter from Tim. Do I put it in Tim's file or Master Oil Racing? Anyway I just came across it and thought I'd post it here since it preceeds Tim's jump into boat building for others than only himself. The beginning of Butts Aerowings as a commercial venture. Incidentally...I found a letter from Todd Brinkman from 1974 that I never opened. I was hoping for some interesting info, but it was just thanking me for the pics I sent and wanting to buy some from Alex of him and Todd Jr.

ADD: Alex as he was referring to was the NOA World in the fall of 1971.
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 01-24-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: additional info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    In the last couple of weeks I have been trying to organize all the correspondence so I can find stuff easier and then refile it. You can't imagine how much time I lose trying to find something I remember seeing, but don't know where it is. Choosing which file is sometimes the tough part. Such as this letter from Tim. Do I put it in Tim's file or Master Oil Racing?
    It doesn't matter where you file it, put it in one and put a copy or note referring to it in the other
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I know Sam, it's just taking the time to do it. Just like typing in the info on the photos I scan. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I used to be good about cross filing, but that's many years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking great stuff

hi im new to this site i just purchased an 11ft 9in butts aerowing i had never heard of this hull before i bought it but it look to be a good design. what would be some of the best motors for it? it only has a 9 in transom now . i do have a102 yamato n an old 4cyl 50 merc but unsure about the weigt of that one would it be safe with a 250 cc pro motor or 350 cc yamato rb-2 cuz i see jeff akers has one of those any help here apprieciated

Post Thanks / Like

While the Aerowings were excellent in their day as race boats, they don't offer much as a toy.

With a built up transom it is completely possible to float a 102 Yamato or D Merc (I raced one about that size years ago with a 6). The older alky motors were pretty finicky and often troublesome compared to newer alkies.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Thread Information