Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Butts Aerowing-The Only Way To Fly

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question

Somebody with more engine knowledge than I possess could help here. Would this engine run better with a more symmetrical pipe shape? This shape seems odd to my eye. Perhaps a simple adjustment could improve the performance.

You might also consider moving the fuel tank within the boat to lower the center of gravity on the bach end.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation limits?

Quote Originally Posted by David Mason View Post
    Looks good Cyberpunk. Make sure you check the weight for the min in 500CCMH. You should do just fine in this rig, just remember, it does have limits compared to todays designed boats.
    i ran it for about 20 mins on easter the only limits im seein is its a little ruff in the corners but 2 runs and 2 trim setting motors not broke in yet either and i lost my darn expansion chamber i got some video of it too it crappy but i try to post it

Post Thanks / Like

Default got some cell phone video

the resolution is crappy but i put up 6 seperate clips on you tube just type in cyberpunkicon to find em if ya like

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne remember these.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I sure do Danny. That would be correspondence to you regarding the 1977 UIM OD World Championships coming up at Dayton, Ohio is my best guess. But as an Officer, Tim may have sent you some other letter.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Forum and great pictures. My aerowing is still going strong as a topend toy. Pinner built me two long course props for the 55H and hope to get a little more speed this spring on Lake Martin. These are great boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Tim brought these two pics of the Aero Cat to DePue. I don't know if there are any others, but no pics of the bottom.
    I have a whole set of pictures of this boat being used as a ramp at Dayton Ohio that I will be posting tonight. Just wanted to bring it to the top.
    - Craig "Dew"
    Flyer Race Boats

Post Thanks / Like

As promised here are the Photos of the Butts 45SST being used as a ramp by a Flyer.

The Photos were used for a picture slide show for dad's 40th.
    - Craig "Dew"
    Flyer Race Boats

Post Thanks / Like

Default Butts Aerowing Drag Hydro

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I sure would like to talk again to Tim, he left Michigan when we got the Butts/areowing drag boat running. I know you circle boaters are not interested in drag's back then but this is more about one of the winningest boats from 78-85 and it was on a Butts hydro. It measured out from the tip of the sponson to the after plane 14' 11". The engine was a first year V-6 Evinrude 1976 200hp on a racing V-4 midsection and gearcase. One year later Evinrude people (Tom Ireland) saved me the last of 50 factory new racing CCC engines. Tim I wish to say your a man of your word, you built one of the safest boats one would ever drive at that speed. Your boat won a total of 38 of 44 events entered. It beat Ron Jones hydro's and several others during those years. From VA to CA the aerowing was the boat to beat. I have some pictures if your intersted later I could share with you. I hope you guy's get Tim back to look at what your running, he would make suggestions that could only help you to strive and achieve your goals of safety and speed. Take care.

Pat Golba
    I emailed Pat a week or so ago about his drag racing, and especially his Butts hydro. After digging for a few days, here's what he came up with. I saw a video at a boat show of a Butts drag hydro with a CCC on it. I posted my comments on it once before--It was hangin' high in typical Butts fasion when the engine blubbered for a sec, when this happened, the front of the boat lost it's altitude. When the engine cleaned out, the front lifted right back up again........Love to see that video again!

More pics of Pat's racing days to come.........

Free Spirit Racing Team wboxell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1975 Johnruid Aerowing

Here's a couple pix of an Aerowing that Tim built for a Johnruid for the 75 season.

Thread Information