Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Butts Aerowing-The Only Way To Fly

Post Thanks / Like

I remember seeing this boat at the Dayton U.I.M. race in the early 80's. I was a very young kid and remember thinking the boat was something from outerspace. It had big diameter hoses running from the cockpit to the motor and the design of the boat itself was incredible! I'd never seen anything like it. Still today, looking at the photos of the aerowing outrigger, not sure of its actual name, it gives me goosebumps. I wish I could see this boat in person today. Anyone know if it is still around?
    Joe Silvestri
    CSH/500MH

My avatar picture is complements of Fred Eckert. 1997 Hinton, WV Nationals Thundermug 20-H Runabout.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Windwalker

John--I forgot to mention that the boat in the Avatar isn't the Windwalker. The Windwalker was built probably a little over a year after Tim built "Vibora de Cascabel". In that photo that Rusty Rae took, the stern portion is obscured by spray. (Note that the sponson are floating through the turn.) You can see some of the similarities in the boats, however.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 06-09-2005 at 07:42 AM. Reason: add photo

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default YOU CAN STILL SEE SIMILAR TRAITS IN YOUR HULL, THE WINDWALKER AND MY SUPER C & FE

That is one very startling looking hydro!

When you compare hull pictures you can see similarities all over the place that tells you its a Tim Butts hydro between the various years of variants and even depending what the hull was used for. Did Tim ever have a trademark logo for his hydros as such? Do you have any idea just how many raceboats did he produce over his span as a builder?

Post Thanks / Like

The sponsons are floating cause' it looks like you have a left hand full o' pipes !!

I used to use a 2 stage air slide system in my 700 cause' my forearm used to cramp from holding the pipes up, and it looked cool too!
    Got it from Kay.
    Last edited by Jeff Lytle; 06-09-2005 at 12:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 stage air slide

How come Kay never told me about that? But then again, he never told me about how you could save the pipes that would fall off by aiming them forward over the cockpit.

In Texas we have a lot of ground to cover and I always had one of those gripper things to squeeze while driving down the highway. The photo was taken at Yelm, Washington, and what I always remember through the turns was that when the right sponson patted, my helmet bottomed out and blocked my vision for a split second.

Post Thanks / Like

The 1st time I saw one of Kay's air slide systems, I knew I had to have one.

Really cool set up-----2 air switches that were mounted just ahead of the throttle so I could flick them back and forth with my pinky. The 1st one would pull the pipes up 1/2 way, and the 2nd brought them up the rest. Knocking both switches back released the pressure so they would slide back.
    I really only needed 1, since I always ran the rails on the outside, wide open with the pipes up 1/2 way anyway. The pneumatic cylinders were mounted on the cockpit side beside the fuel tank, with a throttle cable running to the pipes.
    All done with push in type fittings and a can of R-12 refrigerant.
    Kay explained to me the reason he designed it to be a 2 stage slide was the smaller displacement engines would barf if the pipes were pulled up too fast. Doing it in 2 stages worked better.

Neat stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Default air slide

It never came up too fast? It's amazing the things racers come up with.

Post Thanks / Like

Neither came up all that fast, or so I thought, but I can understand Kay's thinking.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Butts in CMH

The race in Huntington IN, 6-4 and 6-5 Mod race with a few stock classes invited, there was a Butts that won CMH on Saturday with a Yamato on it. He flat smoked them, turns out he was 20 pounds underweight to. Oh well, boat looked cool, and performed well, even to todays standards.

Steve Bullhise (spelling) is the owner driver from Holland MI. In addition the Pro Antique boats there were awesome to look at. Saw Bill Seebolds old Byers Craft there, Duke Johnson had it. Spoke to Duke, nice family that is. Nice restored Byers craft, I think it was Bill's A or B boat. Marshal Grant was the boat owner if memory serves me right. I took a nasty spill there and it rung my bell, so maybe Duke can correct me if I am mistaken on the Byers History.

I live not far from Dick, my dad sees him now and again. I also shoot Trap with his helper Phil each week. Phil pounded many a brass nail in his day.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Default Butts in CMH

David, Hope all is well, it was nice finally meeting you in Huntington. Get well soon. That was Marshall's B-C-service hydro that Billy ran before the Butts series boats. My nephew Walter won C-service Hydro in his first week-end of driving to take the Johnson's to 4 generations of Antique Outboard Racing in that Byers.

Thread Information