Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Phil O'Berry

RogerH

Default Another O'Berry boat

Here's a much later O'Berry boat that I came across. I note it is also painted by John Hervat and in general, has a similar paint theme. Anyone know who drove this boat for Phil? Did Phil or his brother drive any of the boats?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

440 is Sam Labanco.

RogerH

Default O'Berry Marine 440

Quote Originally Posted by Popa Sam View Post
    440 is Sam Labanco.
    Sam, What class is this boat? - V4 or V6

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking that Rudy had passed away, but if someone is trying to put you in touch with him, I guess happily I was wrong.

Randy popped up here, and I too e-mailed him just to catch up, but didn't get any response.

Randy going over I was thinking was Lake Alfred, but very well could have been Winter Haven. That little lake in Winter Haven would have been an adventure with a Mod-U boat with "flighty" handling.

Randy's best crash was peeling an entire sponson off a brand new Burgess during a clock start in Stuart. I mean like five minutes running time new! All in one piece deck and all. I saw the fork come through the rooster tail and thought he was blowing over, then realized it was only ONE fork. When the spray clear there was Igore plowing along on the tunnel towards the beach with a "what the F***" look on his face. Sorry to get off subject, but just thought about it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

440 is an SST-60 boat. 3cyl. OMC

RogerH

Default Winter Haven - Lake Alfred ???

You very well may be correct about it being Lake Alfred as Steve Larkin wasn't that sure about the location. Thanks for all the info!
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by boatmark59 View Post
    I was thinking that Rudy had passed away, but if someone is trying to put you in touch with him, I guess happily I was wrong.

Randy popped up here, and I too e-mailed him just to catch up, but didn't get any response.

Randy going over I was thinking was Lake Alfred, but very well could have been Winter Haven. That little lake in Winter Haven would have been an adventure with a Mod-U boat with "flighty" handling.

Randy's best crash was peeling an entire sponson off a brand new Burgess during a clock start in Stuart. I mean like five minutes running time new! All in one piece deck and all. I saw the fork come through the rooster tail and thought he was blowing over, then realized it was only ONE fork. When the spray clear there was Igore plowing along on the tunnel towards the beach with a "what the F***" look on his face. Sorry to get off subject, but just thought about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Roger,
    I had someone that was supposed to relay a message to Rudy to contact you. Guess it never happen. After reading your post I tried information for a number. There is a Edwin R (Rudy) Foote in Calvert County, Md with an unlisted number. I was told he works for the post office. Suggest you try a letter to the following PO in the area, Dowell, Lusby, St. Leonard, Solomons.
    Maybe he will respond.
    In regard to Phil or Bill driving. Bill was always into drag racing. We built Phil an E & T V bottom the first year of the Johnson 3 cylinder 55 which he himself raced. I don't remember him racing anything else.
    Phil saved my bacon one Saturday in Febuary. We were testing a J Production boat we were developing on the Paxutent River. Our shop was across the river from Solomons. It was cold enough to have ice in the center of the v. As I set the boat and turned left it flat spun and ejected me stage right. I swan. shivered my way back and climbed over the bow. The boat was about half full of water and the engine was in the tilt up position (no trim allowed in those days). I made the decision to attempt to run to back, drop the engine and hopefully jump back without sinking. Then I realized I had no gearcase, it had sheared off. Phil had seen and heard us running, not many dummies running on a day like that. Lucky for me Phil came over and picked me up and took me to the ramp. By the time I got there my clothes were frozen. A father and son fishing were nice enough to tow the boat in.
    The word spread through the Southern Maryland Boat Club quickly and a large party took place. So happen I had my second date with my future wife that night. Still married me and still married.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beale Tilton View Post
    Roger,
    I had someone that was supposed to relay a message to Rudy to contact you. Guess it never happen. After reading your post I tried information for a number. There is a Edwin R (Rudy) Foote in Calvert County, Md with an unlisted number. I was told he works for the post office. Suggest you try a letter to the following PO in the area, Dowell, Lusby, St. Leonard, Solomons.
    Maybe he will respond.
    In regard to Phil or Bill driving. Bill was always into drag racing. We built Phil an E & T V bottom the first year of the Johnson 3 cylinder 55 which he himself raced. I don't remember him racing anything else.
    Phil saved my bacon one Saturday in Febuary. We were testing a J Production boat we were developing on the Paxutent River. Our shop was across the river from Solomons. It was cold enough to have ice in the center of the v. As I set the boat and turned left it flat spun and ejected me stage right. I swan. shivered my way back and climbed over the bow. The boat was about half full of water and the engine was in the tilt up position (no trim allowed in those days). I made the decision to attempt to run to back, drop the engine and hopefully jump back without sinking. Then I realized I had no gearcase, it had sheared off. Phil had seen and heard us running, not many dummies running on a day like that. Lucky for me Phil came over and picked me up and took me to the ramp. By the time I got there my clothes were frozen. A father and son fishing were nice enough to tow the boat in.
    The word spread through the Southern Maryland Boat Club quickly and a large party took place. So happen I had my second date with my future wife that night. Still married me and still married.
    Beale:

Was Rudy a member of the old "Speedmasters" racing team out of Maryland?

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if he was a member of the Speedmasters or not. Of course he was friends with the members as all of us in the Southern MD. Boat Club were. Rudy was a member of SMBC in his early career. I stopped racing the end of '73 and moved to FL. in '78, lost close contact with most of the guys. Usually I go back for a long weekend in the summer and run a few laps with some of the guys.
    When did you start? About the time I was getting out?

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a great story Beale.

Thread Information