Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Phil O'Berry

RogerH

Default Hey Beale - Cold Rides

Nifty story - fortunately with a good ending. Last week our neighbor had to go "save" two young duck hunters whos John Boat (they ought to be outlawed) had capsized mid way out in the TN river. They had been out there for about a half hour and they were scared to death. It's been unusually cold here this winter and they were definitely lucky! Would love to hear from Rudy or Randy. Both seem to be AWOL.

The Molinari is back home from Gary Pugh's shop with its new decks and a few other things fixed as well. Will be getting it ready for paint starting tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the info! - Roger

Post Thanks / Like

Default O'Berry

Here's a little story about Phil. In the mid 70's Phil came to visit D.F. Jenkins at his home on John's Island S.C. we were all going to Miami for the Feb. race I think it was called the 225. While in D.F.'s shop Phil started talking about the South, even if he was from M.D He told D.F. that all the people down here did was sell moonshine for a living. A lot of people really thought this was true, and I guess It could have been some truth to it. D.F. looked at phil and said you ever tasted Moonshine, Phil said no, D.F. said you want to taste some and Phil said you got some, D.F. said why I sure do, an reached in the paint locker and got a pint jar out, he told Phil here take a drink, Phil said you must be crazy D.F. I not drinking that it could be paint thinner. D.F. takes a drink out of the jar an hand's it to me and I do the same D.F. said see its the real stuff Phil. Now Phil is ready to be brave and take's a little drink and started to spit an sputter like an old Johnson in the winter time. His face turned red more than normal and he said I think you are trying to kill me D.F. an so Phil had a little taste of the South, we all went to the race an had a great time.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a good story too Danny. When I was a kid, and I might add before the PC gestapos forced their way into town, I remember cartoons of St Bernard dogs saving frozen people. Disney did some too. I bet Beale might have welcomed some of that hospitality after having been swimming amongst the ice for a little bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Correct again Wayne. Started with a quart of Windsor Canadian at the ramp.
    Continued at my home with the beforemention party at my home. Seems most ramps in Southern Md. those days were owned by bars. Don't think the cold was the reason for feeling bad the next morning.
    If I did that today I'd feel bad for a week.

RogerH

Default Picture of Phil O'Berry - anyone?

I've been inquiring about the Oberry Marine Molinari (#86 & #60) for some time now. It just occurred to me that I have never seen a picture of Phil O'Berry. Anyone have one?
    Thanks,
    Roger

Post Thanks / Like

Default O'Berry

Roger, the guy in the white pants is Phil O'Berry, this is the only pic i have of him.Lady in red shorts is DF Jenkins wife Hilma, dad is leaning on boat. This is a Cougar tunnel I drove in 74. This pic is in Charleston SC 75. I tested the boat for Phil. My boat is behind blue truck. we are leaving for Miami 1975 Nat's after this test, Rudy will drive this boat at the race.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Default O'berry

I Knew Phil Pretty Well Growing Up (i Was A Kid). I Still Have An Original O'berry Marine Tshirt He Gave Me, Brand New, Never Worn. Its Pretty Neat.

Ruddy Is Stile Alive And Well, He Came Into My Office Not Long Ago. Phils Brother, Bill, Is Still Living, And Is Close By To Me. I Stop In And See Him Probably Once A Year. Bill Raced A Little Bit, Way Back. I Could Tell You Some Funny Stories About Phil. He Was Funny. I Still Have Some Old "floating Buoy" Key Chains Marked Oberry Marine. Phil Died, Probably 7 Years Ago Now. I Went To School With His Youngest Daughter, And She Lives Close By.

I Remember Those Boats He Had, And He Even Had A Little Wooden 15 Hp Powered Wood Hydro In His Showroom For A While, Back In, About 1986. I'm One Of The Kids He Helped Get Stuff With Little Money. I Needed A Part For My 115 Crossflow On My 15 Hydrostream And He Said "$40, Or $15 And Go To Angela's And Get Me A Chicken Salad Sandwich And Chocolate Milk Shake. You Can Take My Truck." I Did It. On Another Occasion, He Had Me Pick Up Some Stuff From His House In Exchange For Parts. I Was A Little Kid When He Gave Me My First Snap-on Wrench. I Was About 6 Years Old. I Still Have It. He Would Let Me Borrow Tools, Even Though The Big Spray Painting On The Wall Said "don't Ask To Borrow Our Tools". He Knew My Dad All The Way Back To About 1962, When My Dad Moved Here, Before I Was Born. They Were Into Fast Cars And Were Good Friends. Foote Had A 69 Camaro With A Built 427/425. It Was Fast. Phils Brother Bill Was Into Fast Cars, Still Is, But Recently Had An Arm Amputated, So Isn't Wrenching On The Stuff Like He Used To. Bill Still Lives In The Old Family House On Solomons, Overlooking The Water, Beautiful Spot. I Can Probably Post A Pic Of The T-shirt If You Want For A Copy, In Caseyou Want To Reproduce It To Wear When Using Your Oberry Boat. I Probably Have Some Old Oberry Brochures, Too.

Thanks

Ronny Jetmore
    410 394 9000

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Picture

I Am Sure I Ca N Get A Pic Of Phil Pretty Easily. My Aunt Used To Date Him 25 Years Ago.
    Rj

RogerH

Default Phil O'Berry Information

Quote Originally Posted by PIP View Post
    I Am Sure I Ca N Get A Pic Of Phil Pretty Easily. My Aunt Used To Date Him 25 Years Ago.
    Rj
    Ronnie and Danny,
    I want to thank both of you for taking the time to post the information about Phil O'Berry. Ronnie, Thankyou for the call today. I greatly appreciate the information and potential to talk with other associated with Phil and the #86/#60 O'Berry Marine Molinari.
    The boat is nearing completion and I hope to hear it start and run next week after I get back from the Vintage race in Tavares FL. Just couldn't get everything done for this race. It certainly wouldn't have been painted yet, so didn't want to display the boat in various renditions of primer. All of the electrical / mechanical aspects of the boat are complete. Just finishing up the Hyd. trim and lift lines.
    I really think that John Hervat ought to paint this boat one more time!
    Regards,
    Roger

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default John Hervat....

......should still be around, pulled up alongside me at a stop light in Kenosha about 6 months ago.

Thread Information