Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Phil O'Berry

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Phil O'Berry

Has anyone seen or heard of Phil O'Berry in recent times?

Phil ran an OMC dealership on the water in Solomans Island Maryland for years. Ran some nice OMC stuff with Rudy Foote and Randy Gore as drivers.
    I lived in that area in the late 90's and used to see him occasionally, but he closed up shop after I saw him last and I am curious where he ended up.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Phil

From what i heard he passed away a few years ago . I once drove a few boat's for him in the mid 70's nice guy

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the update.

He was a good guy helped a lot of people both in racing, and his dealership. A lot of little kids in the neighborhood got their ancient little motors fixed in exchange for washing his truck or sweeping the floors. He kept a pile of old junk motors to scavenge parts from for just this purpose. Always said he thought out in a skiff with a fishing pole was a great place for kids to stay out of trouble.

R.I.P. Fabulous Famous Fast Phil

RogerH

Default Phil O'Berry

I am nearing the completion of the O'Berry Marine Molinari / Johnson RS tunnel hull (#84 & #60). It was driven by Rudy Foote and Randy Gore. I hope to have the rig completed early this Spring. Steve Larkin has provided a lot of information concerning the boat, but I would appreciate any additional information about the people and the boat.
    Regards,
    Roger Hinsdale hinsdale@bellsouth.net

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, if that is the boat I think it is, it goes back a looong ways. I'm gonna have to think about this one for a while, and dig for some pictures.

My best recollation is of someone blowing this boat over. Randy I think. I was from Florida (as was Randy) I can only remember Rudy coming south once during that period (very late seventies). For that matter Phil only came down on occasion. Phil was going gung ho at that time and had trucks, boats, trailers, kids, and probably the dog painted up in the Johnson Outboard colors. I remember them being at Lake Alfred with that rig, but don't think that is where it went over.

Randy ran another boat that belonged to Phil but stayed in Florida . . . I can remember Lawrence Enzweiller having to deck it as I think Rudy had crashed it, but I don't think it was that boat.

Randy Gore shows up on this forum occasionally, and would be a great source to sort out the timeline. In the meantime I'll see if I can find any pictures and jog some memories.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember Rudy blowing one over at Eufaula in the 70's. I think it was a V4 class. Could it have been the same boat?

RogerH

Default O'Berry Molinari #86 & #60

Boatmark59 & Popa Sam,
    Both of you are correct as Rudy blew the boat over at Eufaula and then Randy did the same thing at WinterHaven (I think). I believe the boat always had a Johnson V6 on it as best I can tell from the pictures I have and the marks on the transom. According to Steve Larkin the boat didn't see a lot of water time and was known to be "flighty".
    I had someone who attempted to put me in contact with Rudy and I haven't been able to get a response on the forum from Randy. We (Gary Pugh) will be putting the finishing touches on the new decks Tuesday and will start the re-rigging and painting of the boat soon. Took the dimensions from John Hervat's paint job and will try to replicate it.
    Here's a couple of pictures I have. Steve also sent me some pictures of he and Rudy with the boat in the trailer (not posted). One shows the boat with #86 (Rudy) and the 2nd with #60 (Randy). The 2nd picture shows the restored RS on the boat before restoration. The boat had a sizable gash in the front left sponson, but otherwise we found the structure to be in excellent condition. The decks had to be replaced because it was stored outside for many years. I purchased the boat in upstate NY.
    My plans are to run this boat at various Vintage events. Information is always welcome!!!
    Regards,
    Roger Hinsdale 423-452-0428 hinsdale@bellsouth.net
    Attached Images Attached Images   

RogerH

Default Blow-over at Eufaula

Quote Originally Posted by Popa Sam View Post
    I remember Rudy blowing one over at Eufaula in the 70's. I think it was a V4 class. Could it have been the same boat?
    Sam, Were you the person who called Gary Pugh's shop last week? We were there working on the boat at the time. Gary mentioned that "his friend Sam" was a great mentor to him when he started in OPC. I missed your last name - just remembered it began with "H" I think. This is the 2nd boat that Gary has re-decked for me, and I'm really pleased to have met Gary and experienced his friendship and workmanship.

It was almost comical to see our 7-liter Staudacher hydro (23') crammed into Gary shop. We got-er-done though.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    Sam, Were you the person who called Gary Pugh's shop last week? We were there working on the boat at the time. Gary mentioned that "his friend Sam" was a great mentor to him when he started in OPC. I missed your last name - just remembered it began with "H" I think. This is the 2nd boat that Gary has re-decked for me, and I'm really pleased to have met Gary and experienced his friendship and workmanship.

It was almost comical to see our 7-liter Staudacher hydro (23') crammed into Gary shop. We got-er-done though.
    Yep, that was me. Ask Gary about the first tunnel boat, other than 45, he built in his old shop.

RogerH

Default Rudy Foote & Steve Larkin

For conversation sake, here's a shot of Rudy and Steve with the 89 Molinari behind them in the trailer. I've done the mid and pan in black. Wish I had seen this picture before powder coating them. It actually looks better black I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information