Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Phil O'Berry

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Update

Roger,

I Talked To Bill Oberry (phillips Brother) Last Night And He Does Not Have Any Pictures Or Anything Else On This. I Stopped By One Of The Other "old Guys" Houses Last Week And He Was Not Home, And His Number Is Unlisted. Will Try Again. I Sent Rudy Foote A Note To Give Me A Call, As His Number Is Also Impossible To Find. I Will Stop By His House Again Shortly. My Old Man Has Known Him For Over 30 Years, We'll Get Up With Him.

Thanks
    Ronny

P.s. Still Interested In The Oberry Hat And Shirt For A Pattern? Am Happy To Send To You If You Can Send It Back. Thanks

RogerH

Default O'Berry Materials

Quote Originally Posted by PIP View Post
    Roger,

I Talked To Bill Oberry (phillips Brother) Last Night And He Does Not Have Any Pictures Or Anything Else On This. I Stopped By One Of The Other "old Guys" Houses Last Week And He Was Not Home, And His Number Is Unlisted. Will Try Again. I Sent Rudy Foote A Note To Give Me A Call, As His Number Is Also Impossible To Find. I Will Stop By His House Again Shortly. My Old Man Has Known Him For Over 30 Years, We'll Get Up With Him.

Thanks
    Ronny

P.s. Still Interested In The Oberry Hat And Shirt For A Pattern? Am Happy To Send To You If You Can Send It Back. Thanks
    Ronnie, I am especially interested in receiving the hat / shirt for a pattern. I have a good friend & neighbor who has a degree in textile and runs an embrordary business. I'm sure she can duplicate the shirt and hat. Please trust me to return them to you promptly.
    Thanks,
    Roger
    845 Dreamland Road, Spring City, TN 37381

Post Thanks / Like

Roger,
    Sent you a PM, I think, with Rudy's phone number and address.
    Beale

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Phil did pass, probably 8 years ago, I went up and visited with him about a week before he headed to Lake Paradise. He was very close to me and I have really missed him, my son's middle name is from him. Never a dull moment with him around!!!

RIP Phil O'Berry

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Randy gore

Hey, randy, did you ever talk to jerry. Remember we talked last year and i gave you jerrys phone number. I send roger hinsdale the o'berry hat and shirt and he did an awesome job making copies. I just came across an old "buoy style" o'berry keychain i am sending roger now to use in the moinari.

You run across any old stuff, please let me know. Pictures, memorobilia, whatever.

Thanks

ronny jetmore
    410 394 9000

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Roger

You are correct, Rudy blew over at Eufaula and I went over in St. Pete (one of the giant turn bouy's launched me trying to beat Ken Olson to the line). The boat liked to be flown and had good top end, it did not want to set for the turns and had only fair acceleration. It liked the 1 2/3 mile course (it was fast when you got it to fly) but struggled with the shorter courses.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boatmark59 View Post
    I was thinking that Rudy had passed away, but if someone is trying to put you in touch with him, I guess happily I was wrong.

Randy popped up here, and I too e-mailed him just to catch up, but didn't get any response.

Randy going over I was thinking was Lake Alfred, but very well could have been Winter Haven. That little lake in Winter Haven would have been an adventure with a Mod-U boat with "flighty" handling.

Randy's best crash was peeling an entire sponson off a brand new Burgess during a clock start in Stuart. I mean like five minutes running time new! All in one piece deck and all. I saw the fork come through the rooster tail and thought he was blowing over, then realized it was only ONE fork. When the spray clear there was Igore plowing along on the tunnel towards the beach with a "what the F***" look on his face. Sorry to get off subject, but just thought about it.
    Hey Mark

For some reason ALL of my boats seemed to have "flighty" handling....................... Or maybe it was just me. No, the Burgess was not brand new, remember I took it to Ft. Myers a week or two before Stuart to make sure it handled ok, Ted had to be somewhere else and made me promise not to push the envelope without a little time in the boat. We came home with a new Champ Boat World Record for 5 miles in competition on a 1 mile course. Mickey Garrett broke the record in the first heat with his Burgess and I set it higher in the second heat with mine.

In Stuart the look I had on my face was for Billy. We were faster than he was and I had established the inside at the first turn, he cut across me and I went thru his Roostertail right behind his engine, the boat tried to climb it and when I came out the other side the boat slammed down kinda sideways, I thought everything was ok and stepped on the throttle to go catch Billy, but the boat didn't react very well, thats when I realized the whole sponson was gone, but the deck was still there.

I could probably spend all week writing stuff that happened, we had fun!!

Randy

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PIP View Post
    Hey, randy, did you ever talk to jerry. Remember we talked last year and i gave you jerrys phone number. I send roger hinsdale the o'berry hat and shirt and he did an awesome job making copies. I just came across an old "buoy style" o'berry keychain i am sending roger now to use in the moinari.

You run across any old stuff, please let me know. Pictures, memorobilia, whatever.

Thanks

ronny jetmore
    410 394 9000
    Hi Ronnie

No, I never did talk to Jerry, I will have to try him again. I don't know if you knew Jeannie (Phils girlfriend for quite some time), but we had her over for dinner last weekend and spent a lot of time catching up. The funny part is she has lived 6 miles from my driveway for quite some time! She emailed yesterday that there is a Regatta in Taveres March of this year and told me that Roger would be there with the Molinari. We definately plan on attending, should be pretty cool!

Randy

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Default oh yeah

You know, roger told me about a jeannie bowen that knew a lot about the boat, am assuming this is her. I remember now, a "jeannie" being talked about now. I think i remember seeing her years, and years ago.

Solomons classic boat show in may of 2011 that roger might go to, with the molinari. You ought to try to come up then. It would be cool to get some pictures of you and rudy with the boat.

Call anytime
    ronny jetmore
    410 394 9000

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Photo of Phil O'Berry

Roger

Here is a photo of Phil O'Berry I scanned, not sure where we were??

Randy Gore
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information