Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How fat is too fat?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How fat is too fat?

Every time I start thinking racing again I look at the class mix and SST-45 and SST-60 seem like the perfect fit. Except I'm not sure I can fit anymore. So the question is how heavy driver weight maxes out being competitive in these classes? I am too far out of date to know what the equipment weighs anymore.

I'm 6'2" and could diet my way to 225 +/- but don't think less is realistic. You'd never know I was once so young and skinny that my EP Allision had 40 pounds of lead in it.

Thoughts?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont think you would have any trouble in SST60 class...you should contact Howie Nichols who was very successful in 60's. He went on to SST120 but understand he is going back to kneel-down racing with his daughter.

As for SST45, I dont recall seeing too many really big guys running that class. I think the additional power from the 60's would be workable. We dont see as many 45's as we do 60's running with APR Superleague. If you go to the webb site for www.aprsuperleague.com you can get weights etc.

Good luck with your ambition!

Pitboss

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have gotten several helpful PM's from current and former competiors in these classes that essentially confirmed what I thought. 60 is realistic, 45 possible, but not as realistic to be strongly and consistently competitive.

Thank you very much for all the advice.

Thread Information