Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: knock sensor on my 3 holer!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default knock sensor on my 3 holer!!

since some savie guys here,,, was wondering how to hook up a knock sensor on my 3 hole v-rude,,, and hook it to a red light on dash since i have a batt alrady in boat,,,,,where to place it on motor also,,,it a49er block,,,,

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

why?

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know of any OEM that has done it so I am guessing you cant get a good signal from a 2 stroke?

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

had a knock sensor on a go fast car, all it did when it went off is pull the timin out and slow the car down. so why do you want one?

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Post Thanks / Like

duh ... I bet he doesn't want a controller to work like a car, he wants just the sensor and some indicator as a tuning aid to help determine good spark advance other than watching for aluminum on the spark plug

Outboards have to meet emissions standards, but they aren't the same as cars and fuel economy is not as competitive as it is in cars ... therefore more spark advance safety factor is just built in
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

correct ,,mark75,,, bin doing alot reading especiallly a snowmobile dyno site i subscribe too... knock senser just there for knocking attributed to detonation,,,either poor gas or to much timeing,,or???... saves lots and lots of pistons from what i can tell.... i know how fast i was when i went through the kilo traps first time,,,then all i did was advance timeing and went faster,,,from 102mph, to 2 passes at 106,5,,, and that just from timeing and from what ime reading from tuneing 2 strokes on the dyno timeing is everything that and leaning the feul a bit,,,, ive heard people timeing the v-rude up to .235,,, but haaa thought my comp might be a little hi at 175 psi cranking,,,, i know stock timeing is 19 degg,,, but where we and i have timed them is 22 degg,,,,, but with the exhaust porting we doing???soooo?? but also heard v-rude doesnt like hi comp???...just trying to make as much hp as i/we can...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Both Mercury and Yamaha used knock sensors on their 2 stroke EFI models. They were mounted on a head bolt. They are probably still available.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

was hopeing someone could tell me witch one touse ie chev /ford outboard/snowmobile and how to wire it up thanks,,,

Thread Information