Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fiberglass reed material??

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default fiberglass reed material??

anyone know where and who to contact to get some fiberglass reed material...soo can make my own,,,,,found lots carbon fiber sites but need fibeglass,,,,

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Try Hobby Store

Chenny,

Did you check at a RC car shop ? You mentioned you found carbon but want fiberglass. I know the RC car shops here cary the carbon sheets you can use to make reeds, not sure on fiberglass.

If not, try contacting Larry Mcafee. He has made some carbon reeds for the Mods and might have a source, or could make some to your specs ?

If all else fails, do a search on premade fiberglass panels, you might find a source out there that sells premade panels and you could get some scraps that you could cut up for reeds. You would not need much to make reeds for a 49 cuber. Have you thought about laying up your own ? Go buy some light glass and some west. You can use two pices of dry erase board like stuff waxed up to lay it up on, wet it out, put the other piece of dry erase board like stuff on top and put weight on it. This should work well enough for reeds if you get the right glass. Especially if you are doing what I think you are. It would be pretty easy to lay up.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks dave,,, i make the nose and cowling mold pieces and hate it sooo deff dont want to lay-up my own reeds just want to cut and be done,,,carbon to stiff for reeds,,,besides who say's it for a 49er,,,,hehehe,,,, ya think my kawi-rude was diff wate till ya see what i got in store next,,,and legal nbra/aof...yeeeehaaaa

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of sources for glass and a few for carbon fiber.

Carbon fiber is not too stiff. It comes in a variety of thicknesses and stiffnesses. It is also not "too hard to cut" ... you can cut it with cheap scissors and file it to finished shape with emory board ... the exact same process for fiberglass.

For glass you want "G-10 board" about .020" thick with a fuel resistant resin, same for carbon fiber.

If you want more flexible reeds you can use .018" or .015" thick or possibly "G-7 board".

I have found .012" and .010" thickness too short lived ... might work on a kilo run but not that good for heat races.

Modeling and hobby websites carry carbon fiber ... fiberglass G-10 will probably have to come from a plastics supplier.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

do ya know who i can contact by chance called 8 hobby stores in spokane and courdelane nothing,, need about .030 glass,,,,, bin searching web ugggg,,,was easy in old days go figgg

Post Thanks / Like

.030" will be dramatically stiffer than stock metal reeds. Why do you think you want that thick?

I would try Googling G-10 .020

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

that what my boyseen reeds are now... for the bottom part of the duel stage reeds

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

just wanted to {thank you } for your help mark 75h,,, goggled it and 12"by 24" 15$,,,, way cool thanks for your help,,,,, gonna make a few diff thicknesses....cheyney

Post Thanks / Like

Great, I thought you could find it if you just knew exactly what to search for.

I hope the 2 stage reeds work ... let us know (or keep it a secret )

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

yaaa didnt know what they called it,,,, hec ille tell every one what ime up too most dont believe me anyway,,,heheheh i figg more the merrier in the first turn,,,, that why i did the snowmobile frontend on my rude/kawi-rude now,,, soo everyone can do it if they want,,,,and it doesnt take a rocket scientist or lots of bucks,,,, i know so far running it on my trailer backed in the water almost to the bottom of power head she spinns that 11lbs flywheel no prob,,,,, hopefully can test this weekend..

Thread Information