Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rumors...Good News...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rumors...Good News...

Dave Rankin is building a new Carbon SS with a CAPSULE...for Dennis to drive in 2005..

Three other guys are talking Capsules in their FLATBOTTOMS...Jeff Brockhauser, Drexel Vandenburg and Pat Eason owner/driver of K711...

I have offered my capsule mold to anyone who wants to use it...at NO CHARGE...

The FLATBOTTOM guys are a good group, and I think they are seeing the light about capsules..
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-09-2004 at 02:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kip Brown's PRO COMP with Capsule

Check this out...Not sure the capsule... Maybe Ron Jones...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

That's different?????
    Scott March

Post Thanks / Like

You said it Scott,
    That is the problem with capsules in Inboards they look different. I know a SS or GN could be made to look very cool and desirable to race. I have been to parker three out of the last five years and seen three people killed in inboard boats. Tunnel boats have had capsules for over ten years now and saved more lives then I could count and look better then they ever have. My blow over at Parker in 96 could have very easily made me a statistic, looking at the boat after it was back on the beach. I know I cant race much longer having people killed at boat races in any class simply because my wife will never go with me. I agree with my dad the inborders today are a good group of people and I would like to see them around for awhile. Boat racing has always been a family sport and I donít know any family that will participate in a sport that kills off people all the time.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron,
    I dearly hope the rumors are true. If they would spend half as much time looking at ways to make the sport SAFER, as is spent on what shape scoop to put over the carb or what color anodize to use, we might put the FUN back in the deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely! this is GREAT news!

It took me a long time to start enjoying races again after watching 2 close friends get killed just months apart. That was more than 13 years ago, and the tunnel boat capsules have allowed me to enjoy boat racing again.

Now my kids are starting to pay attention to whats happening on the course, and after our Super Stock friend Lance's death, we find something else to do when the non-capsuled inboards are running. That's no kidding. It would be just too traumatic for me to see another non capsule death, and I would not know how to explain it to my kids.

It's hard enough now just to pass by his daughter's wagon....

I'd much rather see a wreck like this, where the driver is out of the ambulance and standing on the beach even before his crew has all the pieces pulled out of the lake.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Miss BK; 12-13-2004 at 03:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Capsules

The safety capsule has been in tunnel boat racing for 19 years. Developed for the International Formula One series where the fatality rate was very high. Chris Hodges was the first to develop the Tiger Cell wich was funded by Outboard Marine Corporation. If you have ever seen one it bolted in the boat and was covered by the front and rear cowling . The front was square and direct behind the driver had a V type structure for rear protection. Bob Spaulding and Bertil Wik both had these in 1985. Cees Vander Velden also had his own design for that year and in 1986 incorporated the center section of the boat to the capsule as the tunnel boats of today are. Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Amen!

I feel naked even running down the river in my open "play" STV on the weekend without being strapped into a capsule! Years ago, I never used wear my car seatbelt (even post seatbelt law) regularly until being strapped into a capsule boat...now it's a natural and/or instinctive "part" of my life whether in a car or race boat!...the best "part" is that you can be there later to tell poeple about! It's the ony way!
    Scott March

rossdbos
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rumors & Good News

Well, I just wanted to let everyone in on the little secret:
    I have four teams - Two Pro-Stocks and Two GN's that are in process of encapsulating their boats. I have even met with the producer of a Discovery Channel T.V. show that is possibly interested in documenting the entire process for an upcoming show. I have a bold and lofty goal of getting these boats on the water by April Parker. Stay Tuned!
    Ross

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for joining and posting...

I won't tell people what your OLD NICKNAME was or about your Sport C Racing...

I'll just call you Rossdbos...unless, I need some favors.....

Keep us posted, my guys haven't called me in two weeks.....I was ready to move on this!!!! (We'll get there!!!!)...Someday...Rankin for sure will have a new capsuled SS.

ADD:

I
    ll bet you have some great pictures of you and the Wilsons...

Thread Information