Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel and Oil Mixing

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Fuel and Oil Mixing

Hi Guys, looking for some advice

Ive read when mixing synthetic 2 stroke oils with some race fuels and in particular, Avgas, that also mixing a small amount of acetone or tolulene helps to disperse/mix the oil more effectively throughout the fuel, (as well as a thorough shake of tank).
    I understand that it would only be a very tiny amount.
    Wondering if anyone else has had any Bad/good experiences with this, or if there is a better way of going about it??

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Bah nonsense. I've never had any seperation or non mixing problems using a quality oil with pump gas, race fuel, av gas or methanol. Considering the amount of physical movement a boat goes through on the trailer to the water, on the water and other wise. The only thing that should go in the tank is fuel, oil, and a stabilizer.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've run outboards on AV gas for years and never had a problem just pouring the oil in and running it.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see any problem at all as the synthetics were made to blend with gasoline. My Dad had manufactured an oil that at the time was superior to any petroleum products on the market as far as lubrication of moving parts goes. It had the lowest coefficient of friction tested at it's time in the mid sixties according to research by Southwest Institute. But...it did not mix with alcohol. We did not use it exclusively....only 1/4 th of the oil/gas mixture. The other 3/4ths was castor oil, but in order to make it blend, we had to first mix 8 oz's of toluene with the MX237 oil and castor oil plus one gallon of methanol, then shake the dickens out of it. Then blend the rest with 4 gallons of methanol and let it set overnight. That is what we had to do with the type of fuel WE raced. With gasoline....it mixed perfectly.

We had to find a different compound seal that could withstand the toluene and had to have a machined brass ring to press the correct ID seal in to fit the OD of the top of the block. All of this was a pain in the a$$, but we did it because the oil was nonflammable and the best upper cylinder lube at that time.

I go into the history because at that time synthetics were first being developed for 2 cycle use. We had info about people testing our oil at Mercury. They had developed a synthetic that equaled in most respects the organic oil my Dad made. Both mixed equally as well in any type of gasoline fuel, and Avgas was no different. Gasoline is gasoline. Avgas just has some different components for the atmosphere it has to spend itself into. Synthetic oils have progressed almost 40 years since the days I talked about, and they have always been wedded to gasoline. So the short anwer as Riverdragon already said..."Bah...nonsense!"

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I've used several different synthetics in AV gas and have never had trouble with simple mixing and never had to use any co-solvent. In fact, AV gas often has a little more toluene in it than street gas does ... that's what give it its distinctive odor. Adding a few more spoonfuls isn't going to change it.

Steer clear of those giving you such advice.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Mixing

Thanks for the great info guys.

Ill just stick to my hand mixing/ tank shaking methods i already use!

Thread Information