Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A sad day in Aussie racing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moneypit View Post
    Jeff, I don't have an inside source to information, just what is bouncing sround at Oz website....

Mike still has the thread locked at PB, but it would seem word has gotten around to those that needed to know. Jezzes, was Dave's wife with him? I know Kenner was suppose to drive the "Liberty" boat in competition, and had, in fact, done some testing in it before the "Old driver" got in it for some legends, or other class, race. Wayne was also suppose to get some seat time before the Sunday race. It's weird, they are a day ahead of us, so I'm not sure which days they were talking about on "Ozboatracers.com".....Truly a sad day in International boat racing.....Ray, numb with disbelief....
    Got the call from Ty and Charlotte Newton Sat. night around 11pm which was around 1100am Sunday morning Aussie time. They were pretty broken up as they had gotten the call from Tony Scarlotta. RIP Dave...thanks for the guaranteed smile and laughs over the racing weekends.

Jeff Conant

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What an absolute tragedy this weekend has been. To lose one of Australia's and America's best drivers at the same event is catastrophic. Saw the video of Dave's accident and there was NOTHING he could have done to prevent it. I read that Brian's accident was almost identical. It is a very sad day for boat racing. My condolences go out to both families and friends of these two great drivers.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Two legends taken from us to soon, I just hope i don't ever have to attend another meet like this one that is if i ever go back to one.
    RIP BRIAN & DAVE

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hang in there

Hang in there mate, unbelievably sad, I can not believe what I saw...

Wayne.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

it is hard to believe the people we dream to be taken away in front of your own eyes I'm still waiting to wake up from this f**ked up nightmare

Post Thanks / Like

Default You Know.........

I had a depressing Sunday, but then I said, "Well everyone know capsule have worked and they are cheaper than $100,000 motor."

Freddy Hauenstein passed OPC Capsule rules after the death of my old student Teddy Whalen. I wonder how many outboarder's lives have been saved by Freddy "Stepping Up" on safety rules.

Their is a game called "Russian Roulette", I'm never played it. Driving a K-Boat, GN, Super Stock or Pro Comp without a capsule is "Russian Roulette".

Don Ermshar died in a capsule, (BLow Alcohol Flat) but he was 67 years old....and may have had a stroke before the accident!

Deaths are SO BAD for any sport!!!! Look what NASCAR did after Dale Ernhardt's death.. These type of boat shuld not be allowed on the water without capsules!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Video In Memory

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I had a depressing Sunday, but then I said, "Well everyone know capsule have worked and they are cheaper than $100,000 motor."

Freddy Hauenstein passed OPC Capsule rules after the death of my old student Teddy Whalen. I wonder how many outboarder's lives have been saved by Freddy "Stepping Up" on safety rules.

Their is a game called "Russian Roulette", I'm never played it. Driving a K-Boat, GN, Super Stock or Pro Comp without a capsule is "Russian Roulette".

Don Ermshar died in a capsule, (BLow Alcohol Flat) but he was 67 years old....and may have had a stroke before the accident!

Deaths are SO BAD for any sport!!!! Look what NASCAR did after Dale Ernhardt's death.. These type of boat shuld not be allowed on the water without capsules!
    To keep all things in perspective either one could just as easily have been killed on the way to the airport in a traffic collision. A quick look in the paper on any given day will show that.

In the entire history of K-Boats there are a total of two fatalities. SuperStock, ProStock and Grand National have a track record of about one fatality every 10 years.
    As much as I would love to have met Gordon Jennings Sr, and to see Tom Conant and Paul Brocheuser in the pits and God knows I would love to chat with Lance Faulkner still on a daily basis and hang out with him I believe, that taking in to account any activity that takes place, that is outstanding in regards to crash statistics.

You can actually find a fair amount of crashes in capsules which have resulted in deaths. You can also fine a fair amount of crashes without capsules which have resulted in deaths.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe we need to slow down the K's and PS boats, restrict the size course, or put a lid on them cause they are only getting faster. Doing the same thing (nothing) is getting us nowhere every 10 years, when the technology is available and utilized successfully in other forms of boat racing. It's time to waive the costs associated in implementing capsules with boats that now compete well over 100mph entering a turn.

do the math since 2001....Faulkner, Hoban, Brocheuser, Schade, Rawleigh, and Bryant from Region 12 alone...time to look toward a safer future

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Capsules save lives, period. We should use the tools that we have to help save lives and not doing so is tragic, period.

Thread Information