Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old NOA Roostertails and IOA Propwash

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Old NOA Roostertails and IOA Propwash

An old freind was in town this weekend and he loves to go to second hand and antique stores so I took him around to a few places. We were in the basement of one store in the back corner and there in a display case I see the corner of of pile of small paper items, is something that looks like a propeller. I look closer and it appers to be a bunch of old NOA "The Rooster Tail" newsletters. I can't imagine what they are doing there and figure I probably know whose they were as the address was usually stamped on these with one of those old dog tag like stamping type address machines. I have them open the case and to my astonishment, there are 5 Rooster Tails from the late 60's and early 70's - and one IOA Prop Wash (Indiana Outboard Assn) all addressed to Leonard Keller. As some of you have seen from other posts on this forum, my brother and I worked for Leonard in the late 60's and early 70's so its possible my brother even brought these in from the mail box to him. Leonard always ran little ads in these club newsletters advertising hardware and speedos so he had a lot of them. What are the odds ? Someone must have found these at some garage or estate sale. Lots of cool old news, race results and records - British Anzani ads from Bill Tenney, Quincy Welding ads, Gentex life jacket ads, Seebold and Hopkins prop ads - just like old times.

I will take shots of these and post them this week.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Default Roster Tail

We all know Johnny Cash, (center). Jerry Peterson an his 6 banger Merc. and Marchetti (right). Who 1s 66. The IOA pic looks like Hedland but who? I would Love to have some pre 1970 Roster Tails even copies

Post Thanks / Like

Danny, I have a dozen or two issues. Some are scanned and I can post them when I get time. I have that one with Johnny Cash on the cover.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default F-66.........

Jimmy Aderholt.
    Charley Bradley

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

F-66 is indeed Jimmy Aderholdt of Jacksonville, Alabama - got his pic on the cover for going 100 mph at the North-South Championships in Burlington, NC June 17-18, 1972. The other cover photo of the June 1969 issue says Hales Boatel - Claytor Lake - site of the North-South Pleasure Boat Championshps. The IOA cover says its Floyd Leach from Owensboro, KY in action - looks like a Champ Hot Rod and a Hedlund-like copy. No year noted but it talks about running record race on Saturday May 15 - so would likely make it 1971.

The Johnny Cash issue is September 1969 and says its Marshall Grant and his fellow members of the Johnny Cash show that played the Governors Cup race in Lexington, TN.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Default Floyd

I did not read the fine print. I remember Floyd, from around 1971 he ran Hot Rod's, an if I remember right get this, He pulled his race boat trailer with a Pink Cadillac Hurst. If this was ever done before or after I have never seen it. I have pic of just part of the Hurst at Knoxville Tn somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Pigott View Post
    I did not read the fine print. I remember Floyd, from around 1971 he ran Hot Rod's, an if I remember right get this, He pulled his race boat trailer with a Pink Cadillac Hurst. If this was ever done before or after I have never seen it. I have pic of just part of the Hurst at Knoxville Tn somewhere.
    There's a picture in The Jan 2010, issue of The Antique Outboarder of someone running the 'Ring of Fire' runabout/Quincy 4 cyl. at an AOMCI meet.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Roostertail with Jimmy on the cover may the the very last one with a picture and more than just a couple of pages. They deleted the color to save money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
    There's a picture in The Jan 2010, issue of The Antique Outboarder of someone running the 'Ring of Fire' runabout/Quincy 4 cyl. at an AOMCI meet.
    That would be Artie Neadeck from Quincy, IL. Artie never worked at Quincy Welding, but he spent a lot of time there as the neighborhood kid with a dream of someday growing up to be a boat racer.

Artie was a successful MOD driver and he has some of the finest Quincy Welding history on display in his mobile museum.

Marshall Grant was very impressed when he saw the "Ring of Fire" replica that Artie built.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

He pulled his race boat trailer with a Pink Cadillac Hurst. If this was ever done before or after I have never seen it.
    We had a black hearse that we used to pull the Craig Craft trailer and boats with in the mid 1970's - we used it for most all of the local races. It had all of the curtains and decorum still in place - and in fact, first came with the cast aluminum funeral home name in the window. We got it from Morrie Shuman - whose kids ran J's and we did all of the work on their stuff - and he ran a chain of funeral homes at that time. He made us take the funeral home name out of the window - but we had a great time with that hearse. Sure raised a lot of eyebrows. Plus, it could double as a second ambulance in case the need arose - although, mercifully it never did.

Mark

Thread Information