Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old NOA Roostertails and IOA Propwash

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
    We had a black hearse that we used to pull the Craig Craft trailer and boats with in the mid 1970's - we used it for most all of the local races. It had all of the curtains and decorum still in place - and in fact, first came with the cast aluminum funeral home name in the window. We got it from Morrie Shuman - whose kids ran J's and we did all of the work on their stuff - and he ran a chain of funeral homes at that time. He made us take the funeral home name out of the window - but we had a great time with that hearse. Sure raised a lot of eyebrows. Plus, it could double as a second ambulance in case the need arose - although, mercifully it never did.

Mark
    Louis Williams from Beaumont, TX was the fastest mortician I ever knew.

Don't know if he ever drove his hearse to a race or not, but it's rumored he used to visit friends in the hearse.

He was considerate enough not to back into the driveway.

Louis was very competitive in A-B Runabout during the 60's and 70's. He is still living in the Beaumont area.

Joe Rome occasionally posts updates on Louis here on BRF

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Louis was competitive from the 50's to the 80's Gene. Now that you mention the story of Louis visiting friends in the hearse Gene...I will tell one that Joe Rome told me that is posted somewhere else, but deserves retelling.

Papa Smith made Louis' props and one day Louis called R. Allen to tell him he would be coming to Shreveport. I don't remember whether he was bringing props to be reworked, picking up a prop, or both of the above. Anyway....Mama Smith got on the line and asked..."Could you bring your hearse and park it in the driveway? I want the old biddies to have something to talk about."

Post Thanks / Like

Default mama smith

Wayne told the story right ,SHE ALWAYS TOLD LOUIS TO BACK IT IN. She loved for him to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

I stand corrected. That is too funny!

Thanks Wayne and Joe. You've just listed three TRUE "Legends of Boat Racing" in one short posting

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt if anyone who is a regular reader or contributor to this web site knows Louis Williams better than Joe Rome.

Perhaps he will share some of his favorite stories with us.

Louis is retired now, but I never thought him to be typical of the perceived undertaker personna.

I'm sure he was very professional in his dealings with his clients, but Louis loved to have fun.

I remember a weekend race near Beaumont, Louis invited Chris to have the QW team check out of the hotel before coming to the race site on Sunday and after the race come to his ambulance service facility to take a shower before heading back to Quincy.

In those days it was common for funeral homes to also provide ambulance service and Williams Ambulance Service was top notch.

Louis had a separate 24/7 facility for his ambulance drivers with all the amenities of a fire department with kitchen, bunk room, rec room, showers etc.

After we had showered and changed clothes, Louis gave us a tour of the funeral home including the embalming room.

After the tour Louis said, "Almost makes you want to die doesn't it"?

No, Louis not quite.

Joe, next time you talk to Louis, say hi from all his old boat racing friends.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Louis Williams Jr.

One of the greatest runabout drivers. Wayne, I thought he had a converted hearse as the ambulance at a Beaumont race? Hey Joe, how about some stories about Louis's frugality? He is legend. You used to tell a pretty funny one about spark plugs? Hope Louis is in good spirits? Please tell him that we all miss him!

Thread Information