Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Collectables

Post Thanks / Like

Default Collectables

Digging through some old stuff I am finally getting to organize, I found one of my dads jewelry boxes and in it, the his and my service tech patches from the mid seventies and cuff links. I personally dont think they need to be making shirts without buttons but these things are pretty cool. As you can see they came frm the 50's, the engine featured is the 36 cubic inch big twin. In that era, Evinrude covers were split down the middle from front to back, and hinged open. Johnson covers had the lsplit in the middle but it ran from right to left. Johnsons were far easier to remove. Anyhow, these items are pretty cool, there is atie clasp I has that I'll have to shoot and post
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That is some cool stuff ya got there, I like the cuflinks. Years ago I had the matching tie clasp. I don`t think that stuff is in style any more. I picked up a `57 Evinrude 30 hp big twin a few months ago, took the cover off, and still can`t figure how to get it back on. Had a `56 Johnson 30 when I was a kid, and your right the side to side cover was alot easier to operate.
    rich

Post Thanks / Like

The tie clasp is around here somewhere too. It has a working propeller and a handle that folds up and down. The easiest way to get the evinrude covers off and on, are to remove the shifter handle...I dont know what they were ever thinnking when they made those, but then think of all the other bad ideas manufacturers had, like engine blocks without cylinder heads.....
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    The tie clasp is around here somewhere too. It has a working propeller and a handle that folds up and down. The easiest way to get the evinrude covers off and on, are to remove the shifter handle...I dont know what they were ever thinnking when they made those, but then think of all the other bad ideas manufacturers had, like engine blocks without cylinder heads.....
    Bill, be nice!

I made my living for a few years welding pads in the domes of those engines that didn't have removable heads.

Thank you Mercury for helping feed my kids! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Kidding Gene, Kidding....I would love to brung up the old Merc vs OMC rivalry days again, that was some of the best freindly arguing money could not buy!
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Show!!

I don't look at pic's that i think i've seen , since i only have dialup.
    Skoontz , i hate to be the the bearer of bad news but that kg7 i had would run circles around that watercop in the hood. He only had a 25 h.p. 36 c.i. in those days , so i guess it was pretty even.

Post Thanks / Like

Bandit:

That was only because Mercury focused on racing...Once OMC entered back, with the limited amounts of money and races alloted, they kicked Mercury's rear end back to where it belonged....
    The question remains to answer is, how many old "water cops" are still running vs the KG-7....
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

Not true Bill ... they only made it appear they were kicking Merc's butt ... but it is more important to look good than to feel good ... and ju look Mavalous!
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

I figured you would weigh in with more acurate stats Sam. It sure looked good on posters!

Here are a few more trunkets from memorabilia. Enjoy!

The first picture was a certificate from 1972, as dated. The one on the bottom with the snowmobile certificate I beelive was earlier, as the graphics were similar to the Stinger race jackets that came out in 1969. The tie clasp witht he propeller cuff links were the graphics used on the motor hoods in the mid seventies. If anyone knows different please fire away.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Thread Information