Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 RESTORED KONIG B-ALKYS FROM THE 1950s

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default 2 RESTORED KONIG B-ALKYS FROM THE 1950s

These pictures of 2 wonderfully restored Konig B Alkys from the 1950s are a must show for the historical record contained on this site of some of the racing engines that made our sport so interesting in those early heady days where things we not only possible but were done.

Pictures are courtesy of restorer / enthusiast and collector Len Gullickson. (USA) Thanks Len. Like I mentioned to you, these pictures are framed and proudly so displayed on my rec room wall as testiment to your contributions to saving, restoring and displaying our outboard racing history in race engines. Now they are here too for others to see and appreciate.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default B-konigs - Picture Bach 2

Please see picture batch - 2 of these wonderfully restored B - Konig Alkys
    Attached Images Attached Images     

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default I Should Have Read The Backs Of The Pictures Sheets One Is a B & The Other Is A C!

SORRY ABOUT THAT! I didn't read the backs of the four part single pictue of each engine. Beautiful restorations no matter what.

The Konig with the pinched / joined in the middle cylinder head is a B - Alky Konig.

The Konig with what appears as two separate cylinder heads is the C - Alky.

Again, I am sorry about the oversight.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Interesting how those Mercury steering bars turn up all over the place and even here!

You have to hand it to Merc, everyone liked those steering bars and the ones on the Konig B and C Alkys are no different.

Post Thanks / Like

John, if you ever see a stock Konig steering bar from those days, you'll see why racers in the States used Merc bars (and Merc clamp brackets, too).
    I think maybe those are not period-correct restorations. I don't think Konig used 2-into-1 exhaust on those engines at that time. The FB came set up with the cylinders exhausting out opposite sides; with the cylinders set up as the pictured engine is, the combustion chamber ends up in the "wrong" place for one cylinder. It may not make a lot of difference, and for that matter, I'm not one who gets excited about period-correctness or factory-correctness or any other kind. Alky outboard engines were constantly altered by the racers, and our restorations standards should recognize this. I help owners of '50s Corvettes with their restorations, and we don't need that kind of anal-retentive obsession with "correctness." Your friend did a nice job.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default I see what you mean too.

I know what you mean about the Merc steering bars being the best for a whole host of engines. I have original steering bars for the Anzanis, the Crescent 500 but I use Mercury racing ones on all of them too without exception.

The other day I requested information on Quincy Flathead block serial number FD-40 it being a D class Alky. The number indicates it was an earlier made D due to its low number but this one sports all Quincy castings from front to back being no Mercury front crankcase cover as it should have. It was like this because of its being upgraded from time to time that made it current for each period it went through. Old engine but new look! Same pie just fresher fruit!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Konig Restoration

John...........Those are a beautiful site to see. It brings back memories of Hap Mulvany's FC Konig with Melvin Cooper driving and putting to shame just about everything that showed up. His C motor was dependable and he raced it for 4 or 5 seasons before he decided to pull it down to inspect it 'Just in case'. Len did a great job.
    Last edited by F-12; 06-14-2005 at 05:25 PM.
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Those 2 into 1 pipes might actually be Quincys! O.F. built them for the enemy, too!
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Is that a shadow of a hole in the side of a crankcase of one?

I keep looking at some of the pictures and I am asking myself if that is some kind of shadow I am seeing or is here an actual hole in the crankcase side of one of the engines in the picture?? I know that collectors will put even what is left over from an engine failure into a what is left display engine too because there is no way of getting the parts they need to get the display engine back to 100% until at later times when the parts are obtained by search circumstances that can take years to accomplish. Its an interesting observation to these two interesting display engines.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Restored Konigs.........

John, if you compare the two pictures where the dark spots are, they are in different positions in each photo. I would vote for a shadow.
    Charley Bradley

Thread Information