Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wildflowers in Texas

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wildflowers in Texas

We have a bumper crop of wildflowers this year following and extended drought then good rains at the beginning of the year. I have only heard about the abundance of wildflowers in Texas, but not other states, with the exception of lots of blooms on cacti throughout the southwest. I know there must be such a show of flowers each spring in other states, but I have never seen photos, or know what kind of flowers there are.

When we went out of Texas to race it was to Lakeland too early for the flowers to bloom, or later for the North/South, Eastern or Western Divisionals or Nationals or Worlds long after the flowers had bloomed. So we never experienced what springtime wildflowers might look like along the roadsides in other states.

I took some today along the roadside where we live out to the entrance of Barbon Estates. I downloaded them on the computer in the boat racing room, but I can't get the internet there right now. When I can I will send the pics. In the near future....would some of you out there take some pics of the wildflowers near your place and post them?

Post Thanks / Like

I hope they go through this time. If not...it will be a couple of days later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Texas Flower

Great pictures Wayne...I am hearing the same about a bumper crop like no other. Wife an I will be site seeing around Fredericksburg and surrounding area for 3-days week of the 19th. I just hope they are still blooming. As for these pictures......of all places here in Pasadena. I have been watching these for a while so I went to take them and it started raining. I pulled up as close as I could, go the camera ready, covered my lens, rolled the window down, took these as it was rain in the car. Hope I have better luck in the hill country.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Poppys Gallardia, Cone Flowers ( Echinachia) Balloon flowers, Coreopisis...I love when landscape plants grow wild!
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

The unusually wet spring has produced a bumper crop of wildflowers in the midwest as well.

Cultivated flowers such as tulips, crocuses (croci)? and daffodils are in full bloom.

The Magnolias and the Bradford Pears are gorgeous and the Dogwwods should be perfect for Quincy's annual Dogwood Festival in a couple of weeks.

God has certainly been wielding HIS paint brush this spring!

Hopefully, the warm weather forecasted for the next few days will bring out the morel mushrooms.

Age and back problems have made trudging through the woods difficult and I refuse to pay $25.00 a pound to those fortunate enough to find these tasty morsels.

Perhaps my kids will find enough to share with " Dear Ol' Dad".

BTW Bill, are Wayne's poppies the good kind or the bad kind. I'm not trying to be a wise guy. Just want to know. Can opium be extracted from ALL poppies?

On second thought; don't answer that, we don't need something so beautiful eradicated in the name of healthcare.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're thinking that the purple flower with a bulb is a poppy Gene....it isn't. That's a thistle. And how did you learn how to tell a good mushroom from a bad one?

Beautiful flowers and fantastic pics David. Look forward to seeing the photos from Fredricksburg. Are you planning on stopping at the Wildflower Farm east of Fredricksburg. For those who don't know about it, that place is probably the largest seller of wildflower seeds in the country. You can buy all kinds of wildflower seeds by the packet or the pound, including all kinds of mixes. Check it out on the internet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    If you're thinking that the purple flower with a bulb is a poppy Gene....it isn't. That's a thistle. And how did you learn how to tell a good mushroom from a bad one?

Beautiful flowers and fantastic pics David. Look forward to seeing the photos from Fredricksburg. Are you planning on stopping at the Wildflower Farm east of Fredricksburg. For those who don't know about it, that place is probably the largest seller of wildflower seeds in the country. You can buy all kinds of wildflower seeds by the packet or the pound, including all kinds of mixes. Check it out on the internet.
    Wayne,

Morels are easy to ID. They are conical in shape and have an outer texture similar to a sponge.

I don't mess the the "toadstools" They are harder to distinquish good from bad.

We had a large number of "puffballs" in our yard. They are good to eat in the early stage before they dry out and become powdery. I picked them, sliced them and put them in the fridge to soak in salt water.

Norma threw a fit!

Even after I provided her with information from the Missouri Conservation Commission, the Illinois DNR and Wikipedia showing they were safe, she threw them out.

She did eat Charley's gator tail and liked it, but I'll bet I'll never get her to try mountain oysters!

City Girl!

Post Thanks / Like

Default You think???????????

Gene..........You won't get her to try mountain oysters if you tell her what they are first............
    Charley Bradley

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ithink i like that!!

If you're thinking that the purple flower with a bulb is a poppy. Wayne that is a good pic.
    Richard
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default We Got 'Em!!

Wayne, by the way we have them here also, in fact the farmers get fined if they don't eradicate.
    Glad i'm not a farmer.

Thread Information