Quote Originally Posted by ToneDef View Post
Thanks JohnsonM50, I've got a 1957 Whirlwind 16' runabout with a Johnson 60 Sea Horse as well that's currently in the water, she runs 40-45 MPH, but we've got the engine de-tuned a bit for longevity reasons. Also I forgot to add the engine is a 18" leg, and I've got a jackplate with 6+" of adjustment
The jackplate Im sure will be useful to determine best run height & the set back might be an advantage. One thing youll have to work out is the 'ride on the edge' but not porpoise [at speed] thing & I dont know what effect the plate will have on that. You would have to consider at some point beyond the height determination that to make the transome that height & eliminate the weight of the plate if its heavy. If it isnt heavy the setback will still effect weight distribution.. for better or not? What Id do is build the transome hi to begin with so when you get set up you have the option of direct mounting at a height close enuff to shim up to fine tune. In adjustments of the motor, the faster you go the more critical small increments will be. As far as racing "chine to chine" as Capnzee wrote theres several directions you can go, all of them cool stuff.