Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 107mph Kilo Record For 850/feh

Post Thanks / Like

Talking 107mph Kilo Record For 850/feh

They made over 60 passes at 100+ mph and only changed spark plugs twice!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjgsCuWI-qQ&NR=1

Post Thanks / Like

This record was set with alcohol, not gas ... it was the UIM X hydro record and US F hydro record. Later upped to 115 as US X hydro by a different driver & boat, but not registered as US F record, so the prior F hydro record still stood.

I do not know if they used any nitromethane, but it would have been legal.

There are some exaggerations and inaccuracies in the narration
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Say What???

There was a hydro that was practicing at 98 + several yrs ago3 cyl omc.so what!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    This record was set with alcohol, not gas ... it was the UIM X hydro record and US F hydro record. Later upped to 115 as US X hydro by a different driver & boat, but not registered as US F record, so the prior F hydro record still stood.

I do not know if they used any nitromethane, but it would have been legal.

There are some exaggerations and inaccuracies in the narration

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Testing

Ahh David L6, testing speeds are usually always a good 3 - 4 MPH slower than actual race speeds !

Chenny is gonna show us that 107 is possible with an OMC, I am sure. In the west on the salt water I think it is possible, in the kilo anyways. Put it on fresh water away from the salt water and it might not be possible. The water is a little heavier when there is no MSG added !

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

mmm thanks for the confidense dave ,,,but 107 as we all know is tough,,, as ia have found it only happens very slowly... as i prefer since i was already hurt once badly years ago in one of these.... when i just saw 100 mph was at 2400 feet about and fresh water lake of course... since then tried leaning down kawi-rude,,, ugg stuck more pistons had 067 jet size in and 17 degg timeing ,,,,ssoo go figgg... me going back to stock front case for now with some trick reeds i widdled on so hopefully we can see some speeds like i also saw in old days and keep pistons in it,,, sinse i did cruise threw kilos one way at 106.5 mph... but aslo working on comp stuff as welll gotto be tough at oriville nats,,,..lllll me and jw meyers hooked up with hugh enthrop when he was alive got plans for his boats and built some boats to test some things,, we use there style props for kilos stuff alot the d kilo when jw set it and my brother when we hammerd the 25 hydro record,,,,, and pat bryans/fushlins d-mod years ago when he saw 100mph.... till we lost gearcase...

Post Thanks / Like

chenney,what pistons you running? what clearance? what rpm?
    thermostat? poppet valves? oil mixture??? this would be the second boom?

@17 degress and 67 jet you shouldnt be sticking pistons?

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of today's outboards are capable of speeds in excess 100 MPH!

This includes the 250cc Pro Hydros, but let's not get too casual about Mr. Entrop's accomplishments.

"so what", indeed!

Do you really want to compare 850 cc speeds today with what was accomplished more than 50 years ago with a paltry additional 150 cc?

Remember Mr. Entrop had company in the quest for 100 MPH and he handily beat the twin powerhead "Flying Scott" with more than 2000 cc!

Mr. Entrop (I didn't know him well enough to call him Hu) and his associates were responsible for the greatest accomplishment in American boat racing PERIOD!!

So great was the respect in Quincy for Hubert Entrop that when we were at a race where he was present; Chris would say, "Boys we're running for second today".

If you never saw him run you missed something!
    Last edited by Gene East; 04-20-2010 at 02:39 AM. Reason: ommision

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

wiseco pistons,,, 16-1 oil mix app ie quart to 5 gallons v-rude oil.. think my clearence messed up running 5thousandths piston clearence,,,never stuck pistons before in my life with v-rude...spark plug digitron temp was about 180 degg,,,, plenty water

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post

This includes the 250cc Pro Hydros, but let's not get too casual about Mr. Entrop's accomplishments.

"so what", indeed!

Do you really want to compare 850 cc speeds today with what was accomplished more than 50 years ago with a paltry additional 150 cc?

Remember Mr. Entrop had company in the quest for 100 MPH and he handily beat the twin powerhead "Flying Scott" with more than 2000 cc!

Mr. Entrop (I didn't know him well enough to call him Hu) and his associates were responsible for the greatest accomplishment in American boat racing PERIOD!!

So great was the respect in Quincy for Hubert Entrop that when we were at a race where he was present; Chris would say, "Boys we're running for second today".

Gene,

Could not agree with you more, a lot of the Mod stuff run today will reach 100MPH if set up correctly and there is room. We are working with old stuff too, but we have had a lot of years to experiment.

Let's not forget what Quincy did with Merc's... I still think that was one of the greatest accomplishments. Heck, a lot of that technology is used today. And back then a true Quincy 6 would reach well into the 100MPH range..... even the 44 CI Quincy Loopers would reach into the 100MPH range given the space. Simply amazing stuff. And this was all done, what, 40 or 50 years ago as well ? I think Quincy and Mr. Entrop's accomplishments are on par for greatness.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post

"so what", indeed!

Yes Say it!

He went where no one else had gone! Half centry later the movie is still inspiring!

Thread Information