Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SST 60 Gearcase Lubricant

Post Thanks / Like

Question SST 60 Gearcase Lubricant

I bought oner of these... the owner said he ran mercury hypoid in it, the same stuff the sst120 guys use.

Does anyone know what was the factory reccommended lubricant for the sst60 gearcase?

Can anyone tell me what is typically run in these today?
    Last edited by sheuninck; 04-19-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: clarification

Post Thanks / Like

Merc Hi Perf will be fine. The ol' Vixen has started a hell of a make over.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what 120 guys you've been talking to. Mark posted the right stuff in the above post.

Alisyn ProGear 21, Type 1 is in my 120 as well as my 60.

Here's a link to their website.

http://aerospacelubricants.thomasnet...ne/progear-21?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob77 View Post
    Not sure what 120 guys you've been talking to. Mark posted the right stuff in the above post.

Alisyn ProGear 21, Type 1 is in my 120 as well as my 60.

Here's a link to their website.

http://aerospacelubricants.thomasnet...ne/progear-21?
    Thanks for the feed back. The seller told me he used the hypoid stuff like the guys with the quickie gearcases... if is it good enough for them, it is good enough for the 60 case. I assumed he meant the 120 guys. At any rate, my limited experience tells me if you start using atf you can't go back or it will grenade. the same is true if you go synthethic, if you go back to petroleum base, it will blow. I have seen it happen in both cases (no pun intended).
    At any rate, i though it would be best to stay consistent with what he was running, but now I am intrigued about Alisyn ProGear 21, Type 1. I only have one gearcase and cannot affort for it to pop.

How many races is this stuff good for?

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had a problem changing back and forth between oils. It really shouldn't really cause any issues. I've tried lots of stuff.

When I was living in Minnesota and racing SST60 at the club races, I once ran out of Alisyn and picked up some Amsoil gear lube at a local store. I went out for testing and could immediately tell a difference in the acceleration. It took me a while to figure out what was going on. I went and borrowed some Alisyn from someone and the problem was gone. I've never raced without it since.

The fact that it's so thin scares a lot of people, but I've never ever had a gearcase failure. (Knock on wood!) I also have only ever owned 1 gearcase. 1 60 case and 1 120 case.

Most people change the oil once per race, some change it each day, some change it after every heat. I don't think that the oil breaking down is much of a problem, but it's nice to look and see that there's no water or metal in the oil.

The SST60 cases do have a habit of cracking the bearing carriers. You'll see that a lot of guys have screws holding the carrier to the housing, trying to limit it's flexing. Other people glue the bearing carrier in place with various types of epoxy.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

bolt the carrier down, do not glue it. get a dip stick ( wire tie) and take a dip from the top screw every time you put the boat in the water.

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Post Thanks / Like

And three different people will give you three different opinions. Personally, if someone bolted my bearing carrier in, I'd rip off their arm and beat them to death with it. But that's my opinion.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

on the hull he's runnin you want to bolt it, but, you don't have to do any

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

thanks all for the info. will get some of that progear stuff. with the hull i am running, if i see another can of glue or MEK, i may lose some more if my mind.

Thread Information