Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Padding a 44 cube merc-

Post Thanks / Like

Art he wants one that will run on 93 octane gas ... that was one of the requirements. That would probably be about 19-20 cc's ... I bet yours is closer to 15
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by formeone View Post
    squishing the heads uggggg havent seen that for years since it seemed they all blew up when done ,,, at least around this neck of woods..
    i have seen it done and it worked i ran the motor i do agree that it is very hard and it is a art so get the right person to do it

Post Thanks / Like

Default been there, done that............it works.........

Quote Originally Posted by genea01 View Post
    i have seen it done and it worked i ran the motor i do agree that it is very hard and it is a art so get the right person to do it

Jim Ruck is the man to "smash it"............
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Rumrunner
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeff55vDSH View Post
    How much H.P. do you hope to get from these mods? Without a set of open megaphones, I would guess maybe 5hp. And you'll lose a lot of bottom end power.
    If it were me, I'd try slipping a 65hp Merc under a 50hp cover or decals.
    But that's just me.
    "But thats just Me".....Every one has an opinion. Thats your prerogative. >5 HP?< - for a big bore, big carb, worked tuner, high compression, ports worked, timing tweeked and plastic reed mota? 5 HP?? Is that what your engine builder tells you? (HEHEHEHEHEHE) Sheeesh.....I could give a bat's poot less how many HP this thing puts out. The GPS tells the tale. I ain't got no class rule book to follow. And...BTW...if I was gonna "slip something under the cover" - It would be a big inch 40 yammy or 'hatsu powerhead (ain't no problem..we can do that..) with a Merc cowl wrap. But I love the old skool Mercs. This is my personal mota. The composit head/block skeers the heck out of everybody. I AM gonna "pad" it. I'm gonna punch it. I'm gonna put the big carbs on it. I'm gonna work the tuner. I'm gonna polish the crankcase and internals. I'm gonna run it and play with the timing. Then it's going to the river. For fun. If it don't ring the GPS - I'll build a 'nuther 'un. If it pukes, read last sentence. If I don't get but five horsepower with all this work it might take a while, and if it pukes, look up a few lines......how much diff on the GPS do you think? If it pukes, skip up a few lines, I said sumpthin' about building another one.Its runnin' about 52 now. Fishin bote. Totally wore out. Seals ain't been broke. 1979 model. I'm bettin "my way" close to 60. I'm thinking new prop..... Now if I can git me one uv them thar racin' boats ya'll run.....YEEEEEEEHAWWWWWW......and if it pukes, you know what I'll do, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Keep us up to date on your progress
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Wish

I wish I could understand 50% of what he said. Must be getting old.
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Thread Information