Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: 850CCMH / 850CCMR Drivers only - Rule Change Poll

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Support Rule to eliminate mods to front covers.

3 23.08%
  • Not Support Rule Change to mods on front covers

3 23.08%
  • Keep Rules the same

6 46.15%
  • Bring back rules from 5 -10 years ago.

1 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 850CCMH / 850CCMR Drivers Only -Vote

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all! I wholeheartedly agree with and support the Dave Mason camp regarding the 850cc front cover modifications. I understand the points/counterpoints, but fail to see any upside for the FE class in terms of; 1) attracting new drivers to FE, 2) retaining present drivers, 3) minimizing our insurance costs, 4) overall costs to drivers to remain competitive, 5) safety, 6) competitive racing fields from a spectators' standpoint, 7) etc..etc... That said, I applaud the efforts of those in their quest for additional speed and competitive advantage. Personally, I believe this particular modification goes over the top and violates the spirit/intent of APBA Modified Outboard Racing rules. Clearly, this modification is based on a loophole within the technical rules. I cannot be critical of those who discovered and exploit the loophole, that is simply racing. Admittedly, I have not raced in APBA for a number of years. So, I don't have a vote or say in APBA rules. As an active NBRA SEH driver, however, I would never support this modification being adopted in our organization. Good luck to all in '10...John Kincaid 54-V

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default All

I did reply to Tim's post at hydroracer, he copy and pasted that one here or vica versa. I won't clog this site with all that, I don't plan to name call, I have not yet.

Thanks John, you made my point a little better than I could in a lot less words. I guess I should have paid more attention in school english class than racing or hunting.

The fact I don't write nearly as well as some does not mean I am any less passionate about boat racing than they are.

Flame away, I am still standing.

Post Thanks / Like

John made my point as well ... he named 2 races in 2 years ... not an indication of a healthy class outside of the special race events
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ex.

This is a FE ex sys. we made in the early 80's. It worked well, I ran it on a FEH an a 75 OMC Tunnel . We could have improved on it later, but it ran good like it was. I am going to put my old FE motor back together an have pic's soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dan

Water cool that puppy and you have the Mod 50 exhaust ! Great idea back then you had. Did that cost you $495.00 to make ?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Decided To Respond

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kurcz View Post
    [B]f. Proposal –
    Whichever path you choose, please stop these back door attempts to change rules just because you don't want to invest. If you spent half as much time on your engines as you do whining on HR and BRF, you'd be much more competitive. Which reminds me; I'm late for the shop. Got to finish up another nationals quality 850 - just in time for the 2010 season!

Tim
    Tim,

First, I don't backdoor. This is a public forum; I am asking the drivers to vote, not you. I see you voted to skew the results, but rest assured I am tracking the votes and will take that into consideration first. Perhaps it is you that needs a lesson in process. Don't attack my integrity because I am simply doing a Poll on a public forum. I am asking for opinions of the drivers. This is not a proposal to change anything, or to add ANY rules.

Let's see the results from the 850CCMh class in Hillsdale last year... I imagine you will find that I am very competitive in the class, and no, I did not see 100MPH on any GPS there like you have claimed Rich saw. I think I competed against at least two of your engines there ? Maybe not, I really don't care one way or the other. I am simply there to race and have fun, not parade around.

Once I have gathered enough information from the drivers of the class and what their opinions are, it should help the commission understand more fully what the drivers want, which is who they represent. Let’s not forget that part.

Does anyone else think I am back dooring something here ?

If that is the perception, it is not the intention. Information gathering to make a more detailed proposal to reword the rule that some have exploited the gray area in. It would not add a rule; it would simply change the wording so that it is more black and white than it is gray.

Tim explained what he is doing in the Mod 50 thread. I think this is basically what people will intend to do. From that thread spins this.

I will stand firmly my ground. I will also accept whatever the drivers opinions are, to eliminate this or not. I will not be influenced by bullying, personal attacks on my integrity, or engine builders. I simply want the drivers opinions.

Thank You to those that have voted what their opinion is, and are current drivers.

John P. - I hope this helps clarify my intentions, and the direction I want to head.

Post Thanks / Like

BRF is not a forum for personal attacks. Please stay on topic and communicate personal comments via PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Posses or possess

Possess is to have possession of and posses are groups of people called to aid a officer of the law to help enforce the law. What is your intention?
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Personal attacks?

Sam, I agree that the forum should be for constructive use, but must say I agree with Anthony 100%. Dave Mason began a smear campaign against my clearly legal APBA 850/FE engine - completely unchecked - since he first saw it at Hillsdale. So if you're going to censure Anthony, you'd best take Dave to task first.

I've been more than gracious tolerating his attacks and reminding him and all others we have a representative commission voted in by the drivers to review proposals and make decisions regarding the direction of our sport. Anthony went through the same discussion. The system works - there is no need for posturing on the internet or anywhere else - either write a proposal and submit it or shut up and go racing.

The fact that the Masons don't like me or my engines has been obvious for years. It began with my 45SS (1991), my first triple (1993), my twin cam 45SS (1998), my Merc 444 (2008) most recent triple (2009), and even my new 45SS mod due later this year. Most readers know the triple he's been talking about - images have been published for all to see. There are no secrets - all my engines have been inspected and foung legal by many APBA Mod inspectors. The shame here is that any threat to the Mason racing program comes under attack.

For the record, I've not personally raced since winning the IOA Indiana State Championships back-to-back 2003 and 2004 at Huntington. I miss the competition dearly, but decided to spend time raising my children and helping other racers instead. I worked feverishly to pickup where Bud Parker left off, spending an inordinate amount of time building exhaust systems, towers, powerheads, and many other components for Mod racers across the USA.

This winter alone, I built 2 complete engines, 7 powerheads, 9 towers, and 5exhaust systems for Mod customers. Owner/drivers all benefit from the education I received from Bud and Harry Brinkman. All get the best possible construction without bias at a fair price - my contribution to the sport. I often work 22-26 hours per weekend building engines for others - time away from family, friends, and my own projects.

My promise is continued development of Mod racing engines to the limit of the rules - all are legal - some offer great promise. I'll build that same technology for all racers interested in going faster. Attached is an image of my newest engine - completed this weekend while all this unproductive arguing was taking place. I rest my case.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Well said.

Dave Mason began a smear campaign against my clearly legal APBA 850/FE engine - completely unchecked - since he first saw it at Hillsdale.
    This differs from personal attacks I am warning against.

Thread Information