Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: 850CCMH / 850CCMR Drivers only - Rule Change Poll

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Support Rule to eliminate mods to front covers.

3 23.08%
  • Not Support Rule Change to mods on front covers

3 23.08%
  • Keep Rules the same

6 46.15%
  • Bring back rules from 5 -10 years ago.

1 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 850CCMH / 850CCMR Drivers Only -Vote

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

seem"s some people want to keep it a 1.95$ class it is NOT that.. i would hate to see form-e become a class with a lot of bs rules we knew what we where getting into whan we joined this class,,, so why a few trying to change it????.... if ya want stock fronts or what ever race nbra or aof,, as i will be doing both... just reminder went 106 mph stock front ,,, go figg

Post Thanks / Like

Default I have a block

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Pigott View Post
    This has all been done on the merc def. in the 50's so what is new, they ended up with a custom made Looper. Just let all OE OMC's run in FE, an the few who can find a M31 will say ,that is what the rules say, too bad you can't get one. Is this what you want, it would be fine with me i have one . the rules should have stayed ,no
    Mod 50 parts ,an stock on the outside. There is a lot more to this story I will tell later. You can spend a lot of money on stuff that is pretty on the outside but useless in the race.I don't know everything about this motor, but have been building them from when the 65 came out.
    I have a 49.7 block and am looking at the cost
    From what Ive seen the M50 rods and pistons help with reliability.

Anthony

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Enough

I will close this nonsense now. Obviously it turned bad. I fell right into the trap. My bad. I guess since Tim builds engines for other categories some can confuse if one engine is for Mod or SLT, or something else.

And Tim, you did not mention the one engine in particular i was talking about, sorry. I won't mention it.

Anthony, If I can ever understand what you are saying I will respond to in a Private Message. At this point, after you name called "Midget" I see no point to respond. Good luck in your adventures, lets hope it turns out lucartive for both you and the customer this time.

John P., thanks for the PM, I appreciate it. I was out in the shop all weekend building a new boat. As Tim says, making chips while all this nonsense was going on.

Sam is right, this internet Poll has basically said, let it remain. I will still ask around at the races for opinions, as I know there are more than the very few who actually voted on the Poll, and also were current drivers.

Should I hear more drivers are against allowing the mods in the gray areas of the rules, I will attempt to get a proposal in for the next National Meeting. If not, I won't.

Thanks for the phone calls guys, I have heard from a few drivers who elect to not use the internet.

Sorry this thread went the direction it did, It was meant to poll current drivers of the class and see what direction it needed to go. A lot of passionate people in boat racing. I guess being pro-active in the process is balked at. Anthony claims I don't know any process, maybe he is right. Lots of politics at work... and that is a shame.

Post Thanks / Like

Default sorry

Quote Originally Posted by David Mason View Post
    I will close this nonsense now. Obviously it turned bad. I fell right into the trap. My bad. I guess since Tim builds engines for other categories some can confuse if one engine is for Mod or SLT, or something else.

And Tim, you did not mention the one engine in particular i was talking about, sorry. I won't mention it.

Anthony, If I can ever understand what you are saying I will respond to in a Private Message. At this point, after you name called "Midget" I see no point to respond. Good luck in your adventures, lets hope it turns out lucartive for both you and the customer this time.

John P., thanks for the PM, I appreciate it. I was out in the shop all weekend building a new boat. As Tim says, making chips while all this nonsense was going on.

Sam is right, this internet Poll has basically said, let it remain. I will still ask around at the races for opinions, as I know there are more than the very few who actually voted on the Poll, and also were current drivers.

Should I hear more drivers are against allowing the mods in the gray areas of the rules, I will attempt to get a proposal in for the next National Meeting. If not, I won't.

Thanks for the phone calls guys, I have heard from a few drivers who elect to not use the internet.

Sorry this thread went the direction it did, It was meant to poll current drivers of the class and see what direction it needed to go. A lot of passionate people in boat racing. I guess being pro-active in the process is balked at. Anthony claims I don't know any process, maybe he is right. Lots of politics at work... and that is a shame.

i will take my posts down
    i just want an agreement based on rules, may not happen.
    i am getting ready.
    Last edited by OUTBOARDER; 05-03-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: i can

David_L6

Quote Originally Posted by OUTBOARDER View Post
    From what Ive seen the M50 rods and pistons help with reliability.

Anthony
    That's my understanding also. I am using Mod 50 pistons in the motor that I am building strictly due to that. As expensive as this thing has turned out to be I can't afford to build a motor that won't last more than a few races.

Personally, I would prefer if the rules for the 3 holer OMC powerhead allowed only porting (not added ports), the Mod 50 style pistons that Phil McDaniel had made due to the reason stated above, and balancing (stock everything else). I think it goes without saying that you need the correct rods to go with the McDaniel's pistons but I will mention them because someone else will if I don't.

I hope that the NBRA rules stay as they are and don't go the route the APBA rules have.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OMC Reliability

Actually, the longer Mod-50 rods were selected to improve rod angularity, but reliability improved because the crack prone cast "fishing" pistons were replaced with more durable forged types for racing. Most racers have heard the OMC triple breaks rods: No uh-uh! The reason they window cases (and occasionally blocks) is when the badly fatigued cast piston breaks, a chunk falls off and gets caught between the rod and case. Mystery solved.

BTW: FE rules have not changed substantially since I built my first OMC in 1993. I encourage you to go to www.apba-racing.com/Forms/2010/010MOtech.pdf and read the rules. You'll find quite specific, and better written than you might guess.

Then go to www.racenbra.com/nbrarulebook.htm and read their rules for comparison. You may find the NBRA make inspection simpler as bore and stroke are primary. Interestingly, these rules do not prohibit use of built for racing blocks. So, is an honest to God Mod-50 block is legal there?

Finally; enough of your come-ons David. I have no idea what "particular" engine you're referring to, so neither does anybody else. This is interesting as you have never set foot in my shop, have no clue as to what I build, and yet attack my work regardless - just because it poses a threat. Isn't it about time you stop the innuendo?

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I get a chuckle out of Tim Kurz saying that absolutely everything he does is completely within the printed rules. I won't argue with that at all but I certainly do remember when he was making a big stink about Jerry Wienandt's 650 Merc. Kurz maintained that it wasn't legal despite the fact that it met every printed rule just like Kurz's projects do now. So now the shoe is on the other foot and he sings a different tune. Wienandt's 650 Merc won a number of Nationals and was pretty much the class of the field at the time. It was so good that Jerry even let Chuck Petersen run it one year for another championship, yet Kurz was adamant about trying to get it thrown out despite it meeting all the rules. Oh how times change!

Post Thanks / Like

Default line them up

Quote Originally Posted by David_L6 View Post
    That's my understanding also. I am using Mod 50 pistons in the motor that I am building strictly due to that. As expensive as this thing has turned out to be I can't afford to build a motor that won't last more than a few races.

Personally, I would prefer if the rules for the 3 holer OMC powerhead allowed only porting (not added ports), the Mod 50 style pistons that Phil McDaniel had made due to the reason stated above, and balancing (stock everything else). I think it goes without saying that you need the correct rods to go with the McDaniel's pistons but I will mention them because someone else will if I don't.

I hope that the NBRA rules stay as they are and don't go the route the APBA rules have.

Really need to look at both sets of rules side by side to do anything productive.

When i started out there was confilicting views in many areas.
    I guess the internet has helped communication is some area's.

The pistons and rods make sense, I will go a step further and sleeve over the open transfer and boost port.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default End Of the Line

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kurcz View Post
    Finally; enough of your come-ons David. I have no idea what "particular" engine you're referring to, so neither does anybody else. This is interesting as you have never set foot in my shop, have no clue as to what I build, and yet attack my work regardless - just because it poses a threat. Isn't it about time you stop the innuendo?

Tim
    Tim, you are right in everything, I digress. It is not worth it to me anymore. You are a threat to be reckoned with, for sure.

One last point, go to the IOA website, look at the results of Hillsdale 2009 Sept. event. I think Rich was in the top 3 or 5.... I checked. I just want to make certain people know I speak the truth, and not assume the truth.

As for this thread, I can't believe how many people can't read the rules... Drivers of the class vote only... I imagine if they can't follow that simple rule, they might not be able to follow class rules without some guidence.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Step Up

Quote Originally Posted by David Mason View Post
    Tim, you are right in everything, I digress. It is not worth it to me anymore. You are a threat to be reckoned with, for sure.

One last point, go to the IOA website, look at the results of Hillsdale 2009 Sept. event. I think Rich was in the top 3 or 5.... I checked. I just want to make certain people know I speak the truth, and not assume the truth.

As for this thread, I can't believe how many people can't read the rules... Drivers of the class vote only... I imagine if they can't follow that simple rule, they might not be able to follow class rules without some guidence.
    David,
    I have decided to not reply any longer to your angry hurtful PM's so here is what I have to say for the whole world to see.

Step up be a example and give the guidance.

Do not try to tell me what not do to an engine until you can
    show pics of what you do to an engine.

If you need to get a point across a picture will work.
    I make pictures most of the day, they call them drawings and people called machinsts use the drawings to make parts.

I am sorry you do not understand what I am saying, the people at work do not have a problem understanding and if they do I make a pictre so they can understand.

One more thing Norfolk VA is 100 miles south of Richmond.
    Last edited by OUTBOARDER; 05-04-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: ANGRY PMs

Thread Information