Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Beginning a build thread ?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beginning a build thread ?

After years of mental debate, Iv'e finally taken the plunge into a build.
    Without a build section for posting I thought show the boat sec. may suffice.
    I recieved plans for the Smokin' Joes hydro two days ago and have already begun to alter them for a 12.5 ft. hydro. I'll be powering it with a rotax 800cc twinn. coupled to h20 via counter rotating props. should prove interesting to some. I intend to style it after a pwc in the belief that when in a turn, Ill be able to roll wieght further inside to assist with bite. Moveable occupant should also prove interesting on strait shot performance also. Any suggestions?

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by c-cat View Post
    After years of mental debate, Iv'e finally taken the plunge into a build.
    Without a build section for posting I thought show the boat sec. may suffice.
    I recieved plans for the Smokin' Joes hydro two days ago and have already begun to alter them for a 12.5 ft. hydro. I'll be powering it with a rotax 800cc twinn. coupled to h20 via counter rotating props. should prove interesting to some. I intend to style it after a pwc in the belief that when in a turn, Ill be able to roll wieght further inside to assist with bite. Moveable occupant should also prove interesting on strait shot performance also. Any suggestions?
    2 counter-rotating props is whats used on drag boats to make several K's of HP controllable in a straight line. Turning will be interesting.. Do you have a dual rudder plan as well? Someone posted a jet converted to a prop drive a couple years ago & had rudder questions & answers while in the testing phase, worth a search for some heads up info.

Post Thanks / Like

More to consider.. Old style inboard hydros tended to be sponson riders. The angle of the propshaft would cause lift at the rear some so would be very different than a 'tail dragger' outboard type hydro that fly-s the sponsons. Beyond that I have no idea how your handle characteristics will turn out.. 'cept to say "handle with care"

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

I've been mullen it over for awhile, and the props will spin out as viewed from the stern. A single wedge rudder between'm. propshafts will be level with running surface via c.v. joints at the rear of a center pod.

I have seen the "propski" ? and one like it locally and I believe they both suffer from the wheel torque. Counter rot. should all but eliminate that.

Finding nuetral lift wheels will be the challenge. Especially ones that will soak up 110 hp.

Thanks for the interest, should have some build picks up soon. Waiting on plascore for bulkhead material.

I'm sure this will be an arm-stretcher.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=c-cat;90882]I've been mullen it over for awhile, and the props will spin out as viewed from the stern. A single wedge rudder between'm. propshafts will be level with running surface via c.v. joints at the rear of a center pod.

I have seen the "propski" ? and one like it locally and I believe they both suffer from the wheel torque. Counter rot. should all but eliminate that.

Finding nuetral lift wheels will be the challenge. Especially ones that will soak up 110 hp.

Thanks for the interest, should have some build picks up soon. Waiting on plascore for bulkhead material.

I'm sure this will be an arm-stretcher. >>>>> No doubt it will Do you plan for adjustable prop shaft angle [since c.v. joints would allow for it]? Some fine tune ability could go a long way. This along with long arm capability will be very fast on top when you get the right [& left] props. Driver mobility goes a long way with less power but at 110hp?? Youll need it set well. Very cool plan.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes the struts will be adjustable, thank rc toy boats for that one. I am researching high output servo's to control the canard on the fly via gyro.
    Figure I'll have my hands full when on the loud lever. Might even venture to spoilers on the sponsen decks that open when turning. Sky's the limit on ideas.
    OK'd a cnc machine purchase through my company owner, so I can mirror the odd prop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by c-cat View Post
    Yes the struts will be adjustable, thank rc toy boats for that one. I am researching high output servo's to control the canard on the fly via gyro.
    Figure I'll have my hands full when on the loud lever. Might even venture to spoilers on the sponsen decks that open when turning. Sky's the limit on ideas.
    OK'd a cnc machine purchase through my company owner, so I can mirror the odd prop.
    sky's the limit! Ive heard of a cordless drill being adapted for canard control.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm jumpin the gun here, unloaded $500 on black chrome paint. (Innate.com)
    & WOW ! been pricing blanks of steel for props. Lots a dough. Think I may be millin down some freshly bought ski-boat wheels, their about a third of the price of blanks !

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the lack of posts, work has been brutal (65+hrs.) Will be cuttin and gluein this week and posing pics too boot.

Thread Information