Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chysler Racing Outboards

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chysler Racing Outboards

Does anyone have good technical data on the Chrysler racing outboards? I've picked up a 105 and am getting some later 150 stuff as well. What class did these run in? Any comments about reliability and durability? Are there any copies of the tech manuals floating around?

Thanks

Steve Roskowski

Post Thanks / Like

I think they would have been S, T, U and or UJ/UJJ

I have parts lists, but have never seen technical manuals for them.

Durable? Yes
    Reliable? Yes

True competition for Merc and OMC in OPC racing?
    Not really

Where they really did well was drag racing. Many times Chryslers held the drag record for singles and twins .... up to 127mph I think
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1971 Chrysler Outboard: Gary Ferguson with 3 Motors

Gary built this boat for a kilo run, not sure he ever raced it with Chryslers. He was running "X" Class at Havasu, 1968...or so with three Evinrude X-115s. This is a four poijtn tunnel. Gary drove with the late Gary Gabelich(Funny Car driver)...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default chrysler 135

Quote Originally Posted by Modhydro Steve View Post
    Does anyone have good technical data on the Chrysler racing outboards? I've picked up a 105 and am getting some later 150 stuff as well. What class did these run in? Any comments about reliability and durability? Are there any copies of the tech manuals floating around?

Thanks

Steve Roskowski
    Not sure about the 105 but here is a couple of pics of the 135 we had for a short period. We did a lot of testing in the "Off Season" to see if it had potential. My dad had to keep records of everything we tried and turn in to Chrysler. We raced it once and placed a 3rd. Bottom line (for us) - it couldn't match Mercury or OMC. Lower unit problems, three shaft and props at the bottom of Clear Lake. When we had it running it seemed strong. I think if they would have produced another (at that time) to keep up and solve the lower unit issue it could have been extremely competitive. We gave it back. (Dig that power trim my father came up with)

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  crew.JPG
Views: 1773
Size:  24.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

David, that 2nd pic has GOT to be at Pier 7 on Nasa Rd. 1, was Aunt Dorothy running it then? Those apt.s across the street are history now for the most part

Post Thanks / Like

Default Your Right!

Quote Originally Posted by WharfRat View Post
    David, that 2nd pic has GOT to be at Pier 7 on Nasa Rd. 1, was Aunt Dorothy running it then? Those apt.s across the street are history now for the most part
    Scott,

You are absolutly right! Pier 7, a fine place to grow up at that time. I downed many great hamburgers. On the picture taker side was the Gulf station where Fred would fill up the rich and famous. I learned a lot of life lessons there. From happy to sad, rich to poor, sober to drunk, bosterous to humble, missed steps and wet wallets, the calm the cool, quite and pieceful, loud and crazy, don't want to forget and give thanks to all the good looking - pretty - and down right gorgeous gals. It was a memorable education!

One pic is the entry coming in with Pier 7 out of the picture. I was coming back in to load up. The other is Gus Knight, his son Carl, Flo and Buck Allen.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Scott and David....are those the apartments that sunk? I am not sure where pier 7 is but on NASA road 1 was a set of apartments that my Dad and I watched sink into the ground. Actually it looked like the water got higher and higher depending upon the tide. Just a little further north in a left hand turn was a boat dealership on the right with a very tall building and a Chinese Junk with a yellow sail on the showroom floor. Is that the area of the pics?

Post Thanks / Like

utterly amazing, this is what makes this site so great, the history. I'm just wondering why we didn't know each other better back then. FYI, I spoke to Flo about a year ago, her & Tommy are (were) living in Nassau Bay, without giviing me many details, she said Tommy was not doing too well. They are avid NASCAR fans nowadays & go (went) to many races in their RV. As for Fred, I pumped more gallons at his dock than I can count. Worked for cokes & tips, broke my heart when he retired, for a small man he was a GIANT. John Wayne came there when they were filming Hellfighters about Red.I remember Gus as well, he was a hoot, I have been struggling with Buck's last name forever, THANK YOU! Those were the days.........

Wayne, not sure what happened to the apts., I do know they were condemned before I moved away. (LONG story there )

Boots Hanson (Red Adair's partner at the time) had a house down there as well on the point of that land

edit, that pic of Flo in the tunnel was taken from the Landing Apts. which I lived in 1971

David, where are you living now a days?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Space in Time

Quote Originally Posted by WharfRat View Post
    utterly amazing, this is what makes this site so great, the history. I'm just wondering why we didn't know each other better back then. FYI, I spoke to Flo about a year ago, her & Tommy are (were) living in Nassau Bay, without giviing me many details, she said Tommy was not doing too well. They are avid NASCAR fans nowadays & go (went) to many races in their RV. As for Fred, I pumped more gallons at his dock than I can count. Worked for cokes & tips, broke my heart when he retired, for a small man he was a GIANT. John Wayne came there when they were filming Hellfighters about Red.I remember Gus as well, he was a hoot, I have been struggling with Buck's last name forever, THANK YOU! Those were the days.........

Wayne, not sure what happened to the apts., I do know they were condemned before I moved away. (LONG story there )

Boots Hanson (Red Adair's partner at the time) had a house down there as well on the point of that land

edit, that pic of Flo in the tunnel was taken from the Landing Apts. which I lived in 1971

David, where are you living now a days?
    I think we were too busy looking at the pudding and not the box. We had to have crossed paths at one time. Sure we weren't fighting over who was going to fill up the yachts? Really liked Fred, always tried to visit with him when I was there. During the summer days he had more time to talk and I enjoyed listening.

Tommy & Flo, sure would like to visit with them. I too am a Nascar fan and would like to trade paint. I live at work, no just kidding. I have lived in Pasadena since we moved here in the early 60's. My last girl is out of the house and now we are tearing up the place. Pulling carpet and my back is killing me.

As you go under the bridge toward Taylor Lake and just before you get in the open, Boots had a home on the left (corner). Also if you pass Taylor Lake and go under Red Bluff to the left was a great skiing spot. On the right was a little joint where we unloaded. We used to ski in the dead of winter.

The orginal seven astronauts all had identical boats and skied there because of the privacy. Dad worked with them at Nasa so I got to meet them - interesting. Another astronaut I liked was Frank Borman. At Port Haven Marine I was watching the unloading event. I didn't realize who I was standing beside until my dad walked up and started talking with him. Heck, he wasn't any taller than I was, small guy. Oh, the event was Gordon Cooper being unloaded in an inboard flat bottom. Wish I still had those pictures but they were part of a flood loss. I better stop before I run out of ink. Take Care

Thread Information