Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vote Fred Hauenstein for F1 Hall of Fame "Lap of Honor award"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vote Fred Hauenstein for F1 Hall of Fame "Lap of Honor award"

as posted here...http://www.f1h2o.com/hall_of_fame.php

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates - Saturday, April 10, 2010 - For the second straight year, the promoter of the UIM F1 H2O World Championship for powerboating Nicolo di San Germano will officially announce the four nominee's for the annual Hall of Fame “Lap of Honor” Award at the scheduled press conference and gala dinner this Saturday, April 10th in Abu Dhabi.

The evening event will begin by introducing the upcoming schedule for the 2010 World Championship. that salutes special person's over the 50 year history of the world's most recognized powerboat racing series followed by the candidates for the 2010 class for the Hall of Fame.

“Our series officially started in 1981, so this year marks the 30th year since the beginning of the championship which makes 2010 something special,” said San Germano. “We have elected two great people last December in our first class in Renato Molinari of Italy and Bill Seebold of America and now I see the 2010 candidates to be just as worthy of nomination.”

Again this year the choices of candidates were long and well deserving to be offered a place in the “Hall of Fame” and again this year the honoree's will be elected by a split vote between the media members from around the world who cover the UIM F1 H2O championship and the general public who go to the official website of the series www.f1h2o.com and cast their vote. The top two vote getters will be elected into the Hall of Fame and be introduced to the world at the final event of the season at the Grand Prix of Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates in December.

All candidates will get a two year window of opportunity to enter the “Hall”. So, if they fail to get voted in the first year, they will then be transferred to the ballots for 2011 as well. If they fail to get elected the second year, their name will be removed from consideration for the following year.

“We realize that this is a complex sport that has many talented and special people that make up this series that puts on the most exciting show on water anywhere on the planet,” said Nicolo. “It's time that we honor not just the drivers who were hero's but place in nomination people who behind the scenes were hero's as well that made a real difference in expanding this sport over the years to what it is today, that's what makes this award so special.”

The nominee's will be placed on the website for general fan voting in the near future.

Stay In The Know – With F1 H2O!

2010 “Lap of Honor” Candidates

SCOTT GILLMAN – (USA) – The 2nd winningest driver in UIM F1 history...Won 23 of 89 starts for a 25.8% winning percentage...Holds the all-time record of reaching the podium 91.6% of the races he finished (55 of 59)...won his first title his rookie season in 1997 taking 5 of 8 races including four straight...A three time North American Champion (1990, 1995 & 1996)...Won titles in the UIM F1 Championship also in 2000, 2002 & 2006...His 28 poles are 2nd all-time...Won the famous Lake Havasu event twice while also winning the Parker Enduro Classic...Started in powerboat racing late in life at 25 after racing factory motocross for Suzuki and off-road racing...lead the championship in 2007 before retiring mid-season because of medical problems. Lives in Abu Dhabi and North Carolina.

JONATHAN JONES – (UK) – A 2-time World Champion who captured titles in 1991 and again in 1998...Seven times he finished in the top-3 places in the championship...captured titles in the FONDA series in the 1980's and won the American NPA title in 1985...Won the Harmsworth Trophy for the UK in Nassau, Bahama's in December of 1985 out dueling Guido Cappellini and the Seebold family for the title...Won 14 career UIM F1 races...fifth best all-time...Has 27 career podium finishes...A boat builder that holds numerous UK titles since his racing start back in the 1970's. Lives in Cardigan, Wales

CEES VAN DER VELDEN – (NED) - The original “Flying Dutchman” he spent 40 years in the sport as both a driver and builder and designer of race boats. The native of Nistelrode, Holland started racing in 1966 at 23 years of age...In 24 years of racing he won seven World Championships including finishing in the top-three in the UIM F1 series in four of it's first six years of existence...Was both a teammate of Bill Seebold and Renato Molinari in the 1970's...Was part of the famous “Black Angels” with them during that time...He and Seebold won both the Paris Six Hours and the Parker Enduro in the summer of 1974...He was in his prime in the 1970's winning the Continental ON titles in 1974, 1976, 1978 and 1979. He also captured the Continental OZ title in 1977, 1978, 1980 and 1981...After his racing career ended Cees became a race director not only in North America but also for the UIM F1 series...He died of cancer in December of 2006.

FRED HAUENSTEIN – (USA) – A tireless ambassador of the sport, Fred is a true “builder” having been successfully involved in all levels of powerboat racing...An innovative engineer, who has helped develop the Mercury F1 engines that power this sport, while racing and earning 20 titles and records as a driver...He is a well respected UIM and APBA officer working with rules and safety improvements for all of the sport as well as being a true ambassador for the sport for over 20 years...First drove and then helped build OMC factory engines in the early 1970's before switching to Mercury helping develop the famous T-3 and T-4 power plants...Later he worked on the devolopment of engines for both offshore and unlimited hydroplane racing...More recently, Fred has been at the forefront in the conversion to low-emission outboard racing that has dominated at the 24 Hours of Rouen with the F2 and F4 (S) classes...Fred's 'political career” includes four years as APBA President; President of the UIM Sports Commission and continual membership in both the APBA and UIM Safety Committees...Together with his two sons, he continues to race small hydroplanes and is starting his 51st season of racing in 2010...He makes his home in the state of Wisconsin.

Post Thanks / Like

Fred is ahead by a hair, maybe 5 votes ... cast your votes!
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Too bad they omitted Hauenstein's involvement with the Wizard- the 4 liter Merc engine that was so fast that it was quickly banned. There is a big section on BRF about the OMC rotary motors and how they were effectively banned by Merc backers but the tables were turned when the Wizard was shown to be a real threat to OMC's V-8s and OMC nixed Hauenstein's magic motor. A bunch of us stock racers got to spend some time one day at Bill Chatfield's shop when the wind blew out our Dayton race. We pulled out the major pieces of the Wizard and were just amazed at the engineering that made it possible. Its unfortunate that more people didn't get to see it.

Post Thanks / Like

He's restoring it for show
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

One more for Fred. Like Sam says....it's close. Cees would have gotten my vote but I only drank a few beers with him at Linz, Austria. I've known Fred a long time and a couple of years ago had the pleasure of hosting Mike and Katy at our house. So vote for Fred. Cees will get in the next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Comparing Freddy Hauenstein to These Three...

http://www.f1h2o.com/hall_of_fame.php

Let's see Freddy went to work for Mercury right after he and I won Parker, 1978, with an Evinrude that Fred and Jim Nerstrom build at OMC without OMC's knowledge.

Freddy had pretty much become OMC's top "SHOE" before he switched to Mercury.

At Mercury Freddy probably over saw or built the 2.0 to what it was and the same for the 2.5

Fred worked for Mercury from '78-79 until 2009, 30 years. Who works for a company for 30 years anymore???

Cees, Gilman and Jones were all great drivers, powered by engine that Fred Hauesntein had a hand in. Cees ran quite a few OMC engines, sveral especially the 2.0's were Fred's doing.

Fred was too busy building Mercury Racing engines, being APBA President, lending a hand in the UIM to have time to race.

Fred was a great driver, but never really raced Formula One in Europe or the U.S.

In a way, these choices are really apples and oranges. But I voted for Freddy just like I voted for Crystal Bowersocks tonight!

Did anyone read what Fred did at the Mod Winter Nationals???

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Fred's got my vote. I met him with my dad when I was a kid but hardly remember. I know he is a great man and he did so much for the sport. It will be a well deserved honor.

I saw the Wizard when it was first built and saw it crash, I would love to see it again, once restored. Where will it be?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Hauenstein gets my vote.

I'm in, it's a no brainer. As a small guy mostly on the outside of the OMC OPC scene (thanks, Tommy I) I have nothing but the utmost respect for Fred. He's still out there racin' saw him at the APBA Mod nationals. With a bouy on his side fin!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MTECHMARINE; 05-12-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: add pic

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Wizard only crashed because it was raced on a Seebold boat due to political pressures at Merc headquarters. It was tested uneventfully on a Hodges boat as I remember but Seebold wanted some involvement after it looked like it might be successful. I heard the story told that Hauenstein's motor was stronger than Seebold's boat and the transom broke. I guess that is not surprising considering the added weight and power but the boat the testing and development was done on had no problem handling it.

I'm guessing that bstevenson201 must be Kenny Stevenson's son.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

yes Ken was my dad.

Thread Information