Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1987 tunnel / pickle fork eliminator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swra311 View Post
    i have tried several different pitched props (all aluminum). i agree a better prop would help, but probably not enough. currently, the boat cavitates very easily so i think if i raised the motor this problem would only get worse. as for performance upgrades i have not been able to find much info for the tohatsu. i am sure this is a standard fishing / run of the mill motor. At wot rpms are at 5100 to 5400
    Sometimes theres a wire to snip that eliminates a limiter but Im not familiar with it. The aluminum props are part of the problem, A surfacing prop is what that needs but even then it would cavitate unless you got a drag race prop. By the time you spent that $$$ a trade out for more hp would be better. Either way to meet potential you'll need to test prop[s] & set up. Aluminum's performance prohibitive because the thickness the blades need to be to be strong enough is a problem. Stainless at about 5X stronger, can be thinner so is all kinds of improved for the same prop for that alone. Good Luck

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a 10 spline, i think my best bet is to buy a new motor. Anyone have one for sale in southern california?

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have a 12' mirage tomcat with a 25 nisan never gpsed it but it turned 7200 with a 9 3/4x17 clever with a little cup.......at least thats what the tac read

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont think this motor would ever see those type of rpms. plus the planing out issue is not very fun, i have to crawl up on the front of the boat to get it to plane.

Post Thanks / Like

i dont think this motor would ever see those type of rpms. plus the planing out issue is not very fun, i have to crawl up on the front of the boat to get it to plane.
    Hopefully a better prop will help but you can probably expect that to be the way it is if you want it to go like its meant to. You should look into drag race props for whatever motor you choose if you want hole-shot capability, race props arent likely to do that.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

we take it to the river and cruise around so i would rather a whole shot prop vs more speed. What i really need is a bigger motor.

Post Thanks / Like

we take it to the river and cruise around so i would rather a whole shot prop vs more speed. What i really need is a bigger motor.
    It would likely help & more hp could spin more prop but if you go with fishing props youll see much better acceleration & a little more speed. I hitched a ride on a speedboat with a couple girls driving it long ago. The owner was a hot-shot driver for sure- . This was a deep V bullet type boat with a Merc 150 inline 6 & had on the fly jack & trim. It would take off & scream to the mid 50s down then jacked up & trimmed would do 65+ A heck of a ride. The water was ruff in places so she would slow at the last second, smash thru the ruff then right back up. I guess that kept it from launching.. but I had the other girl in mind LoLs. Something like that Ive seen in Overtons catalogue & might be useful. [the jack plate ] Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpmLtxJUax0 Here is what I have on mine and runs 72mph.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

does anyone have a prop that would fit the nissan / tohatsu 30 hp for sale? it is a 10 spline.

Post Thanks / Like

jackson had one a while back he was sellin i think it was a hopkins
    http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=9747

Thread Information