Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 50cc World Speed Record - 144.891 mph!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 50cc World Speed Record - 144.891 mph!

I came across this last night at the following link: http://buddfab.net/

BUDDFAB STREAMLINER
    50cc Landspeed motorcycle
    BUILT BY
    John Buddenbaum Metal Fabricator And Eric Noyes Engineer
    MOTOR
    2002 Arpilia rs50, water cooled, six speed, Metrakit performance parts
    FRAME
    1&1/4 " x .095" mild steel tubing, full rollcage head to feet, stressed aluminum paneling
    BODY
    Fiberglass, hand layup over a male mold, polyester resin, 60lbs, 13 feet long
    GOAL
    Our goal has been achieved, the BUDDFAB STREAMLINER is the worlds fastest 50cc motorcycle

This is a remarkable accomplishment with only a 50cc engine. I think it goes to show boat racers that set up is extremely important and can be highly rewarding in terms of speeds achieved.

That's only 3.0506406 cubic inches. WOW!

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Post Thanks / Like

All things considered a light vehicle with low drag, little friction & a 6 speed will only get ya so far on 3 cube's right?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I think it's great!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonM50 View Post
    All things considered a light vehicle with low drag, little friction & a 6 speed will only get ya so far on 3 cube's right?
    The 2 cycle engine always amazing in hp , i knew a fellow that worked on 671 DETROIT DIESEL ENGINES 2cycle repeat 2cycle 600+ hp and they lived.!!!

88V RiverRacer
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Amazing What A little work and ingenuity does"

Paul this is awesome,now just imagine if we took this and applied it to outboards. I've posted pics of the engine and the dyno sheet also for those who choose to view. And if you go to the website Paul has listed there is also a video. Makes me wonder what the Quincy "M" would do. Not to get into it to much but come on,we haven't even reached the speeds these outboards are capable of because of restrictions. I know you don't have to say it, if it wasn't for the restictions it wouldn't be racing. Then why do we keep looking for the ultimate speeds we all so dearly want to reach. Heres a start a 50cc engine going 144.891 mph. Thanks Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I think this engine would be illegal for outboard racing

The engine seems to have a turbocharger on the outlet end of the expansion chamber. Under present rules, I believe that would make it illegal for outboard racing unless the rules have been changed recently, but very interesting and just shows what untapped potential there still is in two strokes for power output. Porting arrangement/timing would have to be different from what we have now it would seem, to keep the turbo from overcoming the advantage of the expansion chamber.

Back in the mid 80's I saw a Merc V-6 turbocharged at a kilo in Moorehaven, Florida on an Allison type boat. They did not have all the bugs worked out at that time and were not very successful. The modification was done by Land & Sea, who also had another engine there with expansion chambers but no turbo.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to take anything away from this feat but, Today's turbo knowledge and with modern computer controls this has nothing to do with outboard racing. Land speed stuff is missing one important thing that we have..... Water. Is this a amazing accomplishment? you bet, but comparing this motor to waht we do is like comparing apples to a nice glass of Jack Daniels.... I see no comparison but can greatly appreciate what was done and these guy's need a real stand up " Atta Boy and Well done"

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Litzell View Post
    Not to take anything away from this feat but, Today's turbo knowledge and with modern computer controls this has nothing to do with outboard racing. Land speed stuff is missing one important thing that we have..... Water. Is this a amazing accomplishment? you bet, but comparing this motor to waht we do is like comparing apples to a nice glass of Jack Daniels.... I see no comparison but can greatly appreciate what was done and these guy's need a real stand up " Atta Boy and Well done"
    True, water is like going uphill, even if your flying a hydro its still in a constant state of climb & it needs to start out, then theres no gears. Besides a few mini bikes the 1st 'real' motorcycle I rode was a friends Honda 50. It was surprising how well it would go. Later on a Suzuki 750 GT.. it would have to have been pushed real hard to go that fast. The 144.891's amazing- no joke about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Any links to the prices of those components?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Free Spirit Racing Team wboxell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonM50 View Post
    True, water is like going uphill, even if your flying a hydro its still in a constant state of climb & it needs to start out, then theres no gears. :
    Didn't someone in the late 70s or so try a kart engine/clutch setup in M or 125cc pro class. Seems this would get peaky critter out of pits and on plane with clutch locked up when at speed. Bill

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default To answer Bill Boxell's question

Stanley Leavendusky Sr. built a 100CC Komet Go-Kart engine for Eileen in the early 70's, using the slipper clutch and chain drive arrangement that was standard on the Kart's of the time and mounting it on a tower housing he built with Merc clamp brackets. The most difficult part of the whole project was starting the motor, as it did not have anything but a nut on the end of the crank shaft that accepted the normal electric starting motor used by Kart racers of the time. We took an automotive starter, reversed the rotation of it by changing the internal wiring so it would turn the opposite direction, as the Komet ran the opposite direction as the automobile engine the starter was designed for. I have some video somewhere of starting it in the water and Eileen reving it up and then the clutch engaging, prop turning and throwing a rooster tail, and then going out and on plane. We had different sprocket sizes to change gearing but were giving up 25CC to the common "M's" of the day, so that and a lack of other motors to compete against worked against it as a successful project. It started and ran well but the biggest problem was carrying the heavy automotive battery and starter out in the water. Best I remember the starter was 6 volts so the battery was heavy. We had previously tried to start it with a rope, but with the high porting it had by being designed from the start to be started with an electric starter, no requirement for low end because of the slipper clutch arrangement it was designed with, and also the not so great ignition system on it at the time, that would not work, so we were stuck with an electric starter if we were going to make it work.

One of the most interesting things was since it was chain drive, we had to rig up an oiling system so as to keep the chain lubricated. We used an aftermarket windshield washer/pump system that had a rubber type bag that held the lube and a diaphram type pump that was designed to mount on the floor board of the car and then be pumped by your foot. I mounted it in the middle of the keeling pad and Eileen pumped it a couple of times each lap with her knee and the open end of the hose from the bag was located over the chain and dripped on it. If you oiled too much you came in with the back of your jacket oiled up, as the chain was running without any type guard, so she learned to use it sparingly. We used a similar type system on another 125 built from Honda parts that had a gear driven balance shaft and necessitated the gears having to be oiled. On this motor we used a small amount of oil in a container that was pressurized by crankcase compression to force the oil thru a carb jet and onto the gears, enough to do the job but not enough to cause a mess.

Thread Information