Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tom Doidge,

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tom Doidge,

It is with a great deal of sadness that I received news of TOM DOIDGE passing over the bridge today. Chuck, his oldest son, called me and I immediately sensed the sadness in his voice. It had to be bad news, or is it happy news? Tom had a large and very close family, not only his immediate family but his boat racing family. He was literally an icon in our sport. Tom has been building boats for more years than most of us can remember. He not only built boats, he built winners. He built hydros, he built flats and he built Crackerboxes. His favorites seemed to be the Wickens design boats. When I met Tom, he had a 225 cu. in. conventional hydro and it seemed we tangled in one way or another at every turn. He then built his first 225 cabover design and it was fast; built for the stadium but a threat on any course with his son Danny at the wheel. Chuck and family crewing, it was not only a team effort but a family program, everyone in support, bringing them ever so much closer together. He turned ninety a year or so ago and was still building boats. His last completion, a copy of a Wickens which turned out to be very fast. He was building still another "cracker" for his eldest son Chuck. This boat should be on the water in a month or so--it will be a tribute to Tom and a great racing family. Just a short few weeks ago Tom called me about a small outboard hydro he had just gotten for one of his grand kids--they were about to join the Doidge racing team. I had offered to find a little outboard for them as soon as Tom was able; time ran out on us! This is just the beginning for that great family of Tom's. His wife Ernie, surrounded by friends and family will carry on this great tradition of family racing the way it used to be! Grand kids get ready, DO IT FOR GRANPA--LONG LIVE THE DOIDGE RACING TEAM! With both joy and sympathy to the entire family, including all of his extended boat racing family, I am sincere and very sorry on this day, Rod Zapf

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default sorry for you loss

Cap, I`m sorry to hear of your loss. I didn`t know of Tom, but as far as I`m concerned, anyone that can build competitive race boats and can do it for as long as Tom did, into his 90`s led an envious life. He must have had alot of friends and admirers. Unfortunately all good things come to an end sometime. I`m sure he has been well received, in his new place.
    Rich

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default So Sorryfor the loss

I used to watch Dan on Mission Bay in S.D. Ca. in the 225 class . And you also at times.

Thread Information