Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No more SST120's from Merc ?????

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation No more SST120's from Merc ?????

from Tim Seebold's website:

"We have bought the 2 last engines from Mercury, you better be quick if you want a complete engine" Says Tim Seebold

So email me on seebold@stlmo.com or call me on (636) 349 2316

Post Thanks / Like

Default Personally.....

I don't see a problem...but then again, I seldom see problems...If the "BRAIN TRUST" of OPC would open up STOCK BLOCKS...with Wiseso pistons, an average SST 120 driver could cut the cost of their engines by 75%.....

Right now, as I see it, you have to buy a 122 cubic inch 120 motor from Mercury RACING...I bought a 122 cubic inch Mercury V-6 last winter for the price of hauling it off...

I'm a carb size man and a CC/deck height man...let you do what you want between the carbs and heads...but then again, no one in our family ever ran SST 120.....

From what I hear about the "NEW" 2006 motors, is that they take about 10 seconds to built up pressure before they start, then saound like sewing machines.....So, they drop the starting flag, the starter says, "They're off." and 10 seconds later everyone takes off........hmmm..progress..

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sst 120

Isn't the Yamaha legal ?

Also, I do think you can get fishing blocks and convert them to raceing for SST120, I don't see the trouble there ? Already being done I thought. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I know of a lot of bass boats with 2.0 and 2.5's on them. I assume this is the same basic block used in racing.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sst120/2.0

As of now you cannot use a regular 2.0L for SST120, you must have a SST120 block. An SST120 block is actually a 2.5 casting with 2.0 Liners put into it. The ports between a 2.0 fishing motor and the 2.0 SST120 block are extremely different. As for my opinion on the motor rules of SST120, well the so called "STOCK" block has to have around 3-4,000 dollars in machine work before you can start putting parts in it. SST120 is not a "STOCK" class by any means. You can easily invest 20,000 "with labor" in SST120 for 1 "Good" powerhead Steve Tabara
    Last edited by TabaraRacing12; 06-23-2005 at 07:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

And now they are talking about downsizing CHAMP to not so STOCK 120 power?????
    DON’T LIKE THE IDEA AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.spnmotorsports.com

Go Fast - Turn Left!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TabaraRacing12
    As for my opinion on the motor rules of SST120, well the so called "STOCK" block has to have around 3-5,000 dollars in machine work before you can start putting parts in it. SST120 is not a "STOCK" class by any means. You can easily invest 20,000 in SST120 for 1 "Good" powerhead Steve Tabara

This is not true at all, if you are spending 3-5000K in machine work something is wrong.... If anything the rules are more restrictive than ever with the addition of the exhaust port template.... I can tell you the only problem with the 120 class is the upkeep on the engine not the "modification" of it.... Because of the rpm that we turn i am having to change pistons every 3 races and rod bolts every race.... Also if you would like i will sell any of my powerheads dressed ready to drop on for 15k since you are investing 20k

Shaun

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spn#43
    And now they are talking about downsizing CHAMP to not so STOCK 120 power?????
    DON’T LIKE THE IDEA AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!
    It is obvious the current champ package does not work... we are trying to come up with a positive economically viable solution, and when i say we i mean the drivers... Page do not knock it until we all sit down and discuss as a group in bay city...

See you there!
    Shaun

Post Thanks / Like

well geez Shaun, if you didn't drive so dang hard the pistons would last longer

LMAO

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not spending that and wasnt implying that I was, actually I need a powerhead but no money $$$$ ...but what I am saying is that there are people out there that do spend that kind of money in 120's trying to keep up with you Shaun Its great to see the numbers so far in 120's this year, we need some of that excitement about the sport to migrate north. Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fixes needed....YES...

Without going into names.....but will drop two, J. Christian Bush...And Madman Across the water Greg Foster......Foster has (Anytime he wants it...Sherman-Williams Paints as a sponsor)......Both of these TRUE GREATS OF OUR SPORt believe.......that Champboat/Formula One could have some changes...

Here are suggestions and reasons:

1. The course are layed out in such a way that passing is actually discouraged.....round courses...circle. wide corners....courses are set so driving skill becomes ZERO....

2. REV LIMITED 2.5 are expensive and the motors are so equal...and again, they have some much power that drving skill almost becomes ZERO...Fly them, they blow over...don't fly them, the go about the same speed.

3. 2 Liter motors, no rev limiters, are much like 125 motorcycles...a J. Christina Bush, Michael Seebold, Greg Foster....add others...will stand those mothers on the prop and rev them 2 liters about 9,500 and holy ****, scare the crap out of any true fan... Guido Capelli's DAC with a 2 liter, looks more like a flying space ship...If you ever saw Chris Bush "FLY" his Burgess on the prop a full lap at St. Louis....you'd know the SHOW was in 2 Liter FLYING MACHINES....2.5 were sold as a "CHEAP" replacement for a 2 liter...problem was, they weren't sheap and they didn't last as long as the two liter....CHEAP HELL, they were way more expensive....

Round courses, boring motors.....equal what we have...

The BUSCH GRAND NATIONAL CURCUIT got started as a Saturday "RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG" Race...

I suggest for Formula One, going back to two liter.....and then a "SECOND DIVISION"....Run What You Brung two liter....Allow the top five Run What You Brung to run the Champboat race SUNDAY....

SST 120??? 15 thousand dollar powerhead???? Change the rules to FISHING BLOCKS ONLY....How about limiting SST 120 Motors to a claiming price of $5,000???

I feel better...

Thread Information