Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No more SST120's from Merc ?????

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Future ?

If a person wanted to get into SST120, with the talk of Merc not making anything, what should a newbie do ? Is SST120 going to four stroke or will there still be Two Strokes for sale ?

Just would like some light shed in the matter.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

If I remember correctly, they will be going to 2.0 carb motors for that class (PLEASE don't quote me on that) at least that is being discussed, right now things are kinda up in the air, as Shaun said, the drivers are holding discussions on the matter.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Once Discussed...

Well Once discusssed if someone like Shaun or someone that was in on the talks, has an idea of which direction APBA is going to go this next season, please drop me a line, or post here.

Dave

david.mason@kellogg.com

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I know about the situation it sounds like they still will make blocks/parts but they just wont sell complete drop on powerheads. Now maybe someone else can confirm this, but from I have been told thats the way it will go. I wouldnt worry about SST120 changing all that much. The numbers are finally going up again and remember with classes like SST60/SST45 omc before they went out of buisness quit making those motors long time ago, how many years has it been since a new motor was made by OMC? I think u can now get new stuff from SeaWay marine but the classes survived many years without ever having new stuff available. I also believe SST60 OMC only made 800 motors ever!, and that class is still surviving. Now considering the possible place of a 4 stroke, why?? 2 stroke motors rock versus a 4 stroke, considering the power they put out versus the weight to power ratio design, I am not saying 4 strokes shouldnt be part of boat motors on fishing boats, but a race boat is not a fishing boat. If you are going to say well the EPA says this..... well I can tell you those engines that are being ran at every nascar race, every F1, IRL, CHAMP race, those babies do not meet any epa standard. You stand in a closed room with one of those for 30 seconds and you are about ready to die... Now lets look at our one class with 4 strokes Super Sport. Not to knock any SuperSport guys I like the idea (sort of ModVP) but the motor doesnt get it done. First time I saw them in Kankakee a few years back I think I took a nap during the race, its not that the racing was bad because it wasn't, its that people need to hear the HP and they need to hear the roar of the engines. Put a 2.5 200 fishing block on it or even 150 block that is a 2 stroke. What makes F1 cars so awesome? The sound they produce is like no other! A champ car when it shifts creates almost like a small sonic boom, that alone is worth your ticket price. If you have never heard a TRUE CHAMP BOAT hit 10,500 RPM's with a 2.0L BP, there isnt any better racing and noise then the old 2.0L's.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I also agree, Two Stroke rock. The noise a Four Storke puts out makes me think of a lawn mower gone bad.

Post Thanks / Like

David, the minute I know something concrete I'll let everyone know, but until then it's just a guessing game. I've heard alot of specualtion that I'm not EVEN going to get into All I can say is, everything I've heard so far makes sense from the drivers' standpoint. (& they are thinking about the FANS)

Post Thanks / Like

Default SST120 Obsolete

Well I see some things never change. APBA and manfactures always oboslete all your equipment. And they wonder why OPC doesnt have any boat racers! I raced SST120 in the 80s. Great class great engine. Ran for 2 years with no engine problems. Then they wanted to go to SST140. Changed all the rules. Obsoleted my 4 powerheads, 3 superspeed master right hand units( they wanted only left units) all my props. I bought all SST140 stuff, first race I smoked a new SST140 power head I just got from Mercury. That was it, I quit. Over the years I raced 15 different classes most of the rules and motors changed . And they wonder why!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand where you are coming from. OPC is in a world of hurt right now. Champ is struggeling with only 14 boats showing up as being scored with only 3-4 maybe at most 5 boats on the lead lap. I raced Sport C then SST-70 for 5+ years and then sold out to go car racing, nobody wanted to step up and race with me in 70's, I finally had it when I had to beg the 60 guys to step up and run, when only 2 others said they would leaving me a field of 3 70's while there were another 5-7 60 boats there, that finally boiled the pot and within a month my stuff was gone. Spent 2 years racing dirt track and realized I loved boat racing to much to just give up on it. I have a 120 boat now, sits in the garage, waiting for a motor to bolt onto my mid, but at the current costs of racing, it will be a while before it gets out of the garage. I could go on and on and list things that arent helping the sport, but it doesnt do any good to complain on here. I think there are many changes that could be made in Champ/SST120/OPC to help out in the rising costs of boat racing but in the end it comes down to trying to save a sport. We need numbers but its hard to get numbers when it costs so much to race competitively in most classes.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Engine freeze

I was OPC region 4 chairman for about 5 years. I got an engine freeze voted in by the drivers in some classes. Theses class grew because the drivers knew that their engine was going to be good for 5 years. Not everyone is rich and can buy new stuff every year! What kind of boat do you have? I have a 1990 SST120 engine. I quess its obsolete now. I enjoy just looking at it and remembering. I would like to find a good tunnel for it and take one more ride.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Pugh and my brother has 2 older Grand Prix's. Depending on what was done to your 120 it still might be legal, and even if it isnt legal you could run it in F150's. The 120 engine is the exact same except for a new lighter piston available from mercury. Well the rods you have in it might be illegal also, but for the most part the rules havent changed a whole lot over the years, well ok, not as much as the other classes.

Thread Information