Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RaT build, nearly ready

Post Thanks / Like

Default RaT build, nearly ready

The boat its for..

Above's a shortened 31.8ci OMC with a 102 gearcase. It was limited to 3" because of the tilt pin location, the water pump & limited mostly by the lower mount. To get around this I decided to extend a plate that joins the upper & lower parts of the 'sectioned' tower to replace the lower soft mount with a hard one.

The gearcase is 1:1, the motor will be about 16 1/2" from clamp to prop shaft center & it will weigh about 70 lbs. Most any if not all 31.8 power heads would bolt on, up to 35hp. Its 5 1/2 " shorter at the tower, the gear case & sub foot is shorter than stock so it should fit the hydro at its transom without blocking it up saving yet more weight.
    Still hindsight kicked in & Id like to shorten one even more. If I had made a new extended upper steer pin plate & extended the gear case mount plate I could've used a full length steer pin. That would set the motor back about 2" more & when it turned, the side travel of the foot would be more per less turn radious. [good or bad?]. I made an assembly kit to hold it all centered & straight for welding, a steel rod from an old longshaft that fits, A ring to hold center where the drive shaft meets the motor 2 sleeves to hold centers along the middle that can be saved for next time. This motor will put like a fish-er & go like a racer.

A long way from my 1st RaT gearcase.

Post Thanks / Like

U R sick
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Mark75H;93519]U R sick Thanks Sam, It aint easy but is fun.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Whats Wrong!!

With makin a mid like the racers do from pipe, since you aren't going to shift any way?

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=bandit;93537]With makin a mid like the racers do from pipe, since you aren't going to shift any way?

My thinking is to make a mid that exhausts at the bottom [not too loud], drop the C of G, weight & run the stock water pump for the motor. The low pickup gear case sends water straight to the pump internally.
    Id like to go with a stack but it isnt something being made for sale that I know of. I have seen pics of one made with the 22ci type Beyer stack & a home made filler block. Ive also read the 31.8s dont do well with force fed cooling & can cook before getting on plane. I guess you could build a stick tower with a pump otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

Default ?

[QUOTE=JohnsonM50;93540]
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    With makin a mid like the racers do from pipe, since you aren't going to shift any way?

My thinking is to make a mid that exhausts at the bottom [not too loud], drop the C of G, weight & run the stock water pump for the motor. The low pickup gear case sends water straight to the pump internally.
    Id like to go with a stack but it isnt something being made for sale that I know of. I have seen pics of one made with the 22ci type Beyer stack & a home made filler block. Ive also read the 31.8s dont do well with force fed cooling & can cook before getting on plane. I guess you could build a stick tower with a pump otherwise.
    the guy that made hustler stacks had a mold for the omc 31.8

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=genea01;93559][QUOTE=JohnsonM50;93540]

the guy that made hustler stacks had a mold for the omc 31.8
    Thanks, 31.8's are legal C-mod power heads & would probably need that to compete.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the welding done today, Bob did a great job at a great price. I carefully prepped & jigged it, locked it together with threaded rod & held center with a driveshaft. I turned the driveshaft end to be a tight fit into a socket that fit tight where the the coupler rides & locked it all together on center. The expected distortion was minimal so it should be easy to fine align. Now to get a drive shaft squared & some bushings made up for the steering pin..That & a few odd$ & end$ should finish it.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=JohnsonM50;93770]I got the welding done today, Bob did a great job at a great price. I carefully prepped & jigged it, locked it together with threaded rod & held center with a driveshaft. I turned the driveshaft end to be a tight fit into a socket that fit tight where the the coupler rides & locked it all together on center. The expected distortion was minimal so it should be easy to fine align. Now to get a drive shaft squared & some bushings made up for the steering pin..That & a few odd$ & end$ should finish it.
    A couple pics..

One of the objectives being light, 35 hp at 70lb's? Maybe, It stands at 66.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    U R sick
    Yes, and he got that way hanging out with Glock

I know you know, but to avoid confusion that is not a Y102, but a Yamato horizontal split Hatchet.
    Ist I thought it was a Konig 'split-case' with a nose job.

You could have used a Konig 'LINKS' with the exhaust snout incorporated , and bolted it on higher, w/o the water pump.
    Most of the issues with force feed on start up can be alleviated by arranging the plumbing so that the block is full of water.
    I always did this on my '497', after cooking the #1.

Attached is a pic of a B-Z similar to yours. recently refinished,
    and from the same area. Also, one of a 'LINKS' adapted to a M20. Neat job, and quiet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information