Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1988 classic fifty 4 cyl. rpm question

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1988 classic fifty 4 cyl. rpm question

i want to hear your guy's thoughts on the max rpm for this motor - it's the same block used for 44xs builds and the best year to use - my motor is bone stock and the rec. rpm range is 5000 - 5500 rpm - however this motor makes a great deal more power at 5600-5700 rpm and i dont see any lean conditions - i know you can push some motors more than others and want to know if this safe to do on this motor or how high one would go - i have pushed it to 5800 but that seems to be the end of the power curve - i use xd50 oil ( syn. blend ) anything i should consider if i want to run at these rpm's ? i only go short trips out to fishing ( 20 minutes ) . but i like the speed - LOL .

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by verado7 View Post
    i want to hear your guy's thoughts on the max rpm for this motor - it's the same block used for 44xs builds and the best year to use - my motor is bone stock and the rec. rpm range is 5000 - 5500 rpm - however this motor makes a great deal more power at 5600-5700 rpm and i dont see any lean conditions - i know you can push some motors more than others and want to know if this safe to do on this motor or how high one would go - i have pushed it to 5800 but that seems to be the end of the power curve - i use xd50 oil ( syn. blend ) anything i should consider if i want to run at these rpm's ? i only go short trips out to fishing ( 20 minutes ) . but i like the speed - LOL .
    The racing version easily turns over 7000 rpm. To do this, you need more oil than 50:1. In the ancient days of 55H and 30H Mercs we ran 2 quarts of oil to 5 gallons of gas. I would run at least 30:1. It might smoke a little but oil is cheaper than parts.

Tim

Jerry Wienandt
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mercury Classic 50

But to consistently run lots higher RPM, like a 44XS, the motors are NOT bone stock. They have plastic reeds and are generally set up looser than stock (all mine are, including the one I run on a shifting LU on a 16 1/2' Lund)

Having said that, with good fuel (no ethanol), good oil and plenty of it, any of these motors can run safely to 6000 rpm all day...

Hope this helps.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    But to consistently run lots higher RPM, like a 44XS, the motors are NOT bone stock. They have plastic reeds and are generally set up looser than stock (all mine are, including the one I run on a shifting LU on a 16 1/2' Lund)

Having said that, with good fuel (no ethanol), good oil and plenty of it, any of these motors can run safely to 6000 rpm all day...

Hope this helps.

Jerry

I agree
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks guy's i appreciate the info - it sure does run alot better at the higher rpm's - i will add some extra oil to my main tank - i use one tank for getting to and from fishing grounds and a second for trolling - i ditched the autoblend when i got the motor - i could never get myself to trust those things . i have to say this is the best merc. i have ever owned - they've all been good but this one stands out for sure - it's mounted on a 1972 15'5 sangster -
    again thanks for the info -i feel alot more confident running it higher now .

Thread Information