Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C service Speeditwin racing motor photos

Post Thanks / Like

Default C service Speeditwin racing motor photos

Just finished up restoring this motor. it is a 1934 Evinrude speeditwin modified for C service.
    Originally owned and raced by Sid Sato in the Pacific Northwest.
    I embellished it some with an earlier gas tank with "Evinrude" stamped in and an abbreviated muffler can. Left the plugs out so as to not gig myself on one when walking by.

Thanks for the prop, Ron!!

It is set up to run on gas rather than fuel.
    You other C service collectors and racers, lets see your motors!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe how you collector guys can clean up those motors back to pristine so well. Can you tell us something about your avatar?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Baker's Dozen?

Beautiful workmanship, and the showroom where the motors are on display is Also fabulous. I am seeing more and more engine restorers keep their finished treasures in rooms like yours. Maybe if they "Baker Act" 13 of us at the same time, we can make a movie and call it "Racers That Really Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Too."

Regards,

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Default History of this motor, and the avatar

The picture is of yours truly about 1957 with a "Thunder Bay" 12 foot glass boat with a wood deck. I think it came from Canada. Motor is a KF-9. I had a MARK 40 too, it was 100% faster then the KF. Pine Lake, LaPorte Indiana. Mom wouldn't let me go racing, that had to wait until I moved out to Seattle in '61.

The motor has been in my collection for about 35 years. I hauled it to Hawaii when I moved there in '83. Sat around in the salt air, that didn't help it any. Moved back to Navarre FL in time to have everything messed up by Hurricane IVAN. this motor was in big chunks on the back shelves of the shop. Back wall blew out, dumping shelves and contents in the salty mud.

I oiled this up but it seized anyhow. So now 6 years later finally decided I'd better see if I could get it apart. Fortunately it was at BDC. Loosened the cylinders and was able to turn it and release the rods. AMAZINGLY, believe it or not all I had to replace was 1 roller set that was too oversize (blue) and 1 piston ring! No water damage to anything except the pistons had a little oxidation on the skirts.

Here's a couple more shots in work. I moly coated the pistons.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I'm continually amazed at what all you guys do restoring these motors, and am very pleased that you share your work with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump! I had this picture to post on the konig thread before I had to go to a location southwest of San Antonio, and wanted to do it before I lost it. But now back to this thread.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have a lead on where an Evinrude 1931 super C racer powerhead could be?I have the mid and gearcase, just need an original or as close as possile one to complete it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Racin'c

That will be a tall order. I had one once but foolishly let it go.

They are Speeditwin based but have a dual rotary valve and pressure oiling. Later models are the famous "hex head".

Watch this space for pics of my class "B" SR55, once owned by Mel Kirts. Once upon a time a 16 year old kid traded Mel a Johnson big twin 25 for it but mom wouldn't let him run it. Now after 54 YEARS it's almost ready to go!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Try this racer / collector.

Hi,

You might try contacting R. C. Hawie at 941-223-3860. He said he may consider thinning out some of his racing outboard collection.

Good luck.

Paul

Thread Information