Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1970 Evinrude Starflite SS Ad.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=brichter;95027]....was nice because you could use the merc props, a little better and more of a selection.
    Here is the plate that is needed to switch the input and output shafts.[/QUOTE, ]

I raced one of these fabulous engines in the early 70's, had know idea this counter plate was available, wish I had, had to borrow left hand props and use them to cast new ones in bronze, had a trunk load of Merc props.
    Old Racer.
    Australia.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When I worked for the local Evinrude dealer here he bought a KC13R with the 14:23 gear case; ran it on a 16 Allison for a short time' then we built a 17ft tunnel and mounted the SS on it finally got the boat running fair. He made a pass turned come back turned and stopped at the catch boat and told us that the boat was so smooth that he wanted to step out just to see how fast he was going. That Monday he called a Evinrude engineer to see if he could give any pointers on getting any more speed; the engineer asked for the rpm's pitch of the prop height of the motor, the engineer told him that he was running about 115 to 120 and he wouldn't do a damn thing to it.
    Last edited by hitherm1; 06-13-2014 at 07:02 PM. Reason: did not proof read

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hitherm1 View Post
    When I worked for the local Evinrude dealer here he bought a KC13R with the 14:23 gear case; ran it on a 16 Allison for a short time' then we built a 17ft tunnel and mounted the SS on it finally got the boat running fair. He made a pass turned come back turned and stopped at the catch boat and told us that the boat was so smooth that he wanted to step out just to see how fast he was going. That Monday he called a Evinrude engineer to see if he could give any pointers on getting any more speed; the engineer asked for the rpm's pitch of the prop height of the motor, the engineer told him that he was running about 115 to 120 and he wouldn't do a damn thing to it.
    115 to 120 was not possible with the clubfoot.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brichter View Post
    115 to 120 was not possible with the clubfoot.
    I am unsure what model a kc13r is if we are talking OMC V4 here 8 barrel carb set up I will agree no way with a club foot and not easy with a 1 to 1?.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

KC13 only ran a four barrel carb set up, I had one a 15' pickle fork, ran an honest 103mph, with a club foot.

Post Thanks / Like

116 wasn't hardly possible with any gearcase on any v4! Barry woods ran the kilos at Modesto with a KR motor (or something resembling it!) at 116, i remember that.

I was able to achieve such speeds in F100 competition with a KR retrofitted with 4 throats on my MOD 50 boat!! Ran over the mile and 2/3 course, 3 lap 5 miles record at the last Seattle green lake race I think ever run, but not by enough to break it.
    I did break the 5 lap on BLACK lake tho! Good times - -

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Old Racer.What was your boat that ran 103mph with a KC V4.There were a few KR V4 here that went a bit over 100mph officially through the Kilo.Ian Purdon was the fastest tunnel,a Cougar at 105mph.Hines,Sorro,Rogers,Troy,Sheather all went 100 to 104 with KR and 1:1 gearbox on tunnel boats.English driver Bill Shakespere did go over 100mph with a tunnel and a KC.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Little tunnel built by Peter Freeman, I called it Drastic, bloody thing was quick in a straight line but didn't like to go round corners, went over the kilos at Paynesville, 103 mph , one way, wind blew up , didn't get a return, this is probably '72/73, maybe '74, sold the rig to Chris Twikler -Expressway, told me last week it was the quickest boat he'd ever driven, and with a 14/23 box!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OMC V4 stinger

Quote Originally Posted by stinger View Post
    Hey Old Racer.What was your boat that ran 103mph with a KC V4.There were a few KR V4 here that went a bit over 100mph officially through the Kilo.Ian Purdon was the fastest tunnel,a Cougar at 105mph.Hines,Sorro,Rogers,Troy,Sheather all went 100 to 104 with KR and 1:1 gearbox on tunnel boats.English driver Bill Shakespere did go over 100mph with a tunnel and a KC.
    . I can only add my experience to this going back to May 1970 the 1st Factory Johnson Stinger arrived in the UK it was for my good friend Bill Shakespeare and it came with power trim for the first time.James Beard of Cougar boats had a Factory Evinrude as well but had just installed his own power trim foot operated using a car brake master cylinder I have a photo of this and will post it later.At this time I ran with the Shakespeare team and had a new 15ft sprint boat on order I managed to buy a customer Johnson Stinger engine power trim was not available and it ran a much lower compression it was made to race for a full season!.The Factory stinger sounded much deeper and had a bark to it and when you turned it off it stopped dead and comparing the cylinder block and heads had at least 1 eighth of an inch skim or 250 thou.First race was the Paris 6 Hr race proved to be too rough for my 15ft boat it got holed after the first hour but Sanders won the race with a Factory Johnson on a Molinari but even better in third place was Dutch driver Ari De Boom using a Customer Johnson on a Molinari.2 weeks later was the Windemere powerboat speed attempts I was there with the Shakespeare team Bill had one of his grp 15ft cats but it ran 2inch steps Don Henrix had supplied a prop to run a 1 to 1 gearcase.The other outfits running were Freddi Miles with a Mercury Twister 1 and Bob Spalding Mercury Twister 1'also James Beard ran Evinrude the speeds recorded were from 89 to 93 mph with stock gearcases.Bill Shakespeare ran 89 mph one way and 118 mph the other mean average 104 mph so Bill got the record.We had some feedback sometime later from the prop man Don Henrix he said to do 118 mph with the prop he had supplied the V4 would have to be turning more than 7800 rpm?,

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1970 omc v4 speed records windemere uk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pinson View Post
    . I can only add my experience to this going back to May 1970 the 1st Factory Johnson Stinger arrived in the UK it was for my good friend Bill Shakespeare and it came with power trim for the first time.James Beard of Cougar boats had a Factory Evinrude as well but had just installed his own power trim foot operated using a car brake master cylinder I have a photo of this and will post it later.At this time I ran with the Shakespeare team and had a new 15ft sprint boat on order I managed to buy a customer Johnson Stinger engine power trim was not available and it ran a much lower compression it was made to race for a full season!.The Factory stinger sounded much deeper and had a bark to it and when you turned it off it stopped dead and comparing the cylinder block and heads had at least 1 eighth of an inch skim or 250 thou.First race was the Paris 6 Hr race proved to be too rough for my 15ft boat it got holed after the first hour but Sanders won the race with a Factory Johnson on a Molinari but even better in third place was Dutch driver Ari De Boom using a Customer Johnson on a Molinari.2 weeks later was the Windemere powerboat speed attempts I was there with the Shakespeare team Bill had one of his grp 15ft cats but it ran 2inch steps Don Henrix had supplied a prop to run a 1 to 1 gearcase.The other outfits running were Freddi Miles with a Mercury Twister 1 and Bob Spalding Mercury Twister 1'also James Beard ran Evinrude the speeds recorded were from 89 to 93 mph with stock gearcases.Bill Shakespeare ran 89 mph one way and 118 mph the other mean average 104 mph so Bill got the record.We had some feedback sometime later from the prop man Don Henrix he said to do 118 mph with the prop he had supplied the V4 would have to be turning more than 7800 rpm?,
    these pictures are from 1970 and 1971 Windemere speed attempts.the Couger manual powertrim is from Paris 1970.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thread Information