Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Omc 3 cylinder comparison

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe on a fishing boat. Not much difference on tunnels, mainly punch.

phillnjack

wouldnt have a clue about tunel hulls, ive always prefered a proper boats.ha ha
    dont fancy the idea of a tunnel, they seem like 2 canoes and a seat with engine strapped on doing crazy speeds.
    I like to watch them run , love they way the drivers get them to float on a cushion of air right at the limit.
    But i dont think i would be any good at driving one of those, i think they are way out of my driving skill ability.
    The guys who drive those tunnels are very good at what they do.

phill....

Post Thanks / Like

Default "club foot"

There was a time when people had a disability and walked with a limp, that they were said to have a "CLUB FOOT" because their foot was disfigured and gnarly to look at, people began calling a "STOCK PRODUCTION GEARCASE" a "CLUB FOOT" because it didn't have a point and was
    UGLY". . Racing motors had sleek, pointed "lower units" (No gearcase in the old days, they were Lower units, and that is where the prop went on). When Mercury Outboards first started racing, there were no "QUICKSILVER" lower units. When Mercury made the QUICKSILVER" (Lower unit) they called it a foot. (A Quickie Foot). Mercury Racers didn't want to be associated with the OLD Johnson and Evinrude (Alky) Racers. But neither did the Johnson and Evinrude OUTBOARD RACERS want to be associated with those "DAMN MERCURIES".....They were never Mercuries in the eyes of the old "ALKY BURNER" Racers, they were "DAMN MERCURIES".

So, when the guys started switching over to the "QUICKIE FOOT" the old gearcase (lower unit) got the name "CLUB FOOT" because it looked like a person with a handicapped foot. Some people tried to say the "CLUB FOOT" was for Yacht Club Racing...and was for "CLUB" racing, but that was never the truth.

A "CLUB FOOT" is any gearcase that isn't built for racing...

I do think, that now days with bottom water pick ups, a "CLUB FOOT" can be made to go very fast with the right prop, which is usually much larger in DIAMETER and in BIGGER in PITCH than a Stock prop.

For the OMC three bangers, there is the Nitro Case, which is like 3 1/4 in diameter and the "REGULAR "CLUB FOOT" (Nitro is a "CLUB FOOT, too). Regular gearcase has a diameter of 4".
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-05-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My good friend Ron, may i disagree somewhat?! I'd say that the Nito gearcase is not a clubfoot. The 1960 Mercury gearcase
    is not a clubfoot. The fat, low geared Mercury 1957-60 60-80 hp 2:1 gearcases were clubfoots, so were the fat, low geared
    (2:1 and less) OMC 60, 70, 75 longshaft gearcases of the 1970s and 1980s. The Nitro and Sportsmaster gearcases 'ran',
    they were streamlined, relatively small and relatively high geared.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    There was a time when people had a disability and walked with a limp, that they were said to have a "CLUB FOOT" because their foot was disfigured and gnarly to look at, people began calling a "STOCK PRODUCTION GEARCASE". Racing motors had sleek, pointed "lower units" (No gearcase in the old days Lower unit is where the prop went on). When Mercury Outboards first started racing, there were no "QUICSILVER" lower units. When Mercury made the QUICKSILVER" (Lower unit) they called it a foot. (A Quickie Foot). Mercury Racers didn't want to be associated with the OLD Johnson and Evinrude Racers. But neither did the Johnson and Evinrude OUTBOARD RACERS want to be associated with those "DAMN MERCURIES".....They were never Mercuries in the eyes of the old "ALKY BURNER" Racers. They were "DAMN MERCURIES".

So, when the guys started switching over to the "QUICKIE FOOT" the old gearcase (lower unit) got the name "CLUB FOOT" because it looked like a person with a handicapped foot. Some people tried to say the "CLUB FOOT" was for Yacht Club Racing...and Was for "CLUB" racing, but that was never the truth.

A "CLUB FOOT" is any gearcase that isn't built for racing...

I do think, that now days with bottom water pick ups, a "CLUB FOOT" can be made to go very fast with the right prop, which is usually much larger in DIAMETER and in BIGGER in PITCH than a Stock prop.

For the OMC three bangers, there is the Nitro Case, which is like 3 1/4 in diameter and the "REGULAR "CLUB FOOT" (Nitro is a "CLUB FOOT, too). Regular gearcase has a diameter of 4".

phillnjack

well i i think ill stick with my stronger club foot gearbox.
    smaller gearcase i can understand is quickerthrough the water though.

but atleast i now know ive got a big club foot ha ha

phill

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

if you only use twin pinion lowers then I guess everything else is a club foot?

Post Thanks / Like

Default So, Is A 150 XS A "CLUB FOOT"???

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
    My good friend Ron, may i disagree somewhat?! I'd say that the Nitro gearcase is not a clubfoot. The 1960 Mercury gearcase
    is not a clubfoot. The fat, low geared Mercury 1957-60 60-80 hp 2:1 gearcases were clubfoots, so were the fat, low geared
    (2:1 and less) OMC 60, 70, 75 longshaft gearcases of the 1970s and 1980s. The Nitro and Sportsmaster gearcases 'ran',
    they were streamlined, relatively small and relatively high geared.
    Most "Alky" burning outboards and Modified Stock racers use a "HATCHET" gearcase anymore..........and they don't have a point. They are made for racing. A Yamato Motor was made for racing, and it doesn't have a point......So???Usually, I refer to any gearcase that shifts as a "CLUB FOOT". I figure "Race" gearcases don't shift!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-13-2012 at 12:11 PM.

phillnjack

is a 1995 omc triple considered a strong engine to work on for making a touch more power ?
    is the gearbox a strong box ?
    ratio's i wouldnt think make much difference as the prop is the real ratio decider surely ?

phill

Post Thanks / Like

Wrong about gear ratio. A big dia. high pitch prop always creates
    more drag than a small dia. low pitched one. Ditto for
    a big, fat gearcase.

Quote Originally Posted by phillnjack View Post
    is a 1995 omc triple considered a strong engine to work on for making a touch more power ?
    is the gearbox a strong box ?
    ratio's i wouldnt think make much difference as the prop is the real ratio decider surely ?

phill

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Don'ty Think So...

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
    Wrong about gear ratio. A big dia. high pitch prop always creates
    more drag than a small dia. low pitched one. Ditto for
    a big, fat gearcase.
    In theory maybe, but a 1:1 Mark 20-H compared to a 13:19 20-H, Big prop goes faster than the 1:1 and out accelerated it also. In the PRO Division we never ran 1:1 and the 15:16 was quicker and just as fast. A big prop turning slow moves a lot more water. On our COR Boats the 2:1 is quicker than the 1;86 and close to the same top speed, but around the short course, the 2:1 is best....

You are telling me a 10 X 20 will be better on a Sport C that an 11 X 18??? Or a 9 X 22 would be better yet?

Thread Information