Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compression variables

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are the OMC specs

Minimum combustion chamber at T.D.C to top of spark plug hole 13.5 cm cubed. I do not know the volume of the spark plug hole.

cylinder bore .030 over at 2.218 in.

Crank stroke is 1.760 inch +/- .008
    effective cylinder travel above exhaust port to top of stroke 1.203 in.

I have documented cold and after run compression but have found cold tests to be easier and more frequent to do and record.

How can one lap rings to pistons where there are pins in the ring lands, do you just clean out the ring lands with a broken/filed ring or do you just let it be?

Also there is a discussion about minimum oil vs more oil in the gas. Minimum gets you more fuel for combustion; more oil gives a better seal? Is this logic correct? What have your tests shown? I have heard of fuel rations ranging from 20:1 to 50:1.

Also, what is the ideal mix ratio of say 110 racing fuel to standard marine pump gas? Does higher octane provide a longer power stroke duration? Is this beneficial? What is the overiding factors to shoot for? I know that OMCs are very low on torque so energy management in the turns is critical.

Bob Smiley

Post Thanks / Like

Default Compression OMC

Quote Originally Posted by smiley View Post
    Here are the OMC specs

Minimum combustion chamber at T.D.C to top of spark plug hole 13.5 cm cubed. I do not know the volume of the spark plug hole.

cylinder bore .030 over at 2.218 in.

Crank stroke is 1.760 inch +/- .008
    effective cylinder travel above exhaust port to top of stroke 1.203 in.

I have documented cold and after run compression but have found cold tests to be easier and more frequent to do and record.

How can one lap rings to pistons where there are pins in the ring lands, do you just clean out the ring lands with a broken/filed ring or do you just let it be?

Also there is a discussion about minimum oil vs more oil in the gas. Minimum gets you more fuel for combustion; more oil gives a better seal? Is this logic correct? What have your tests shown? I have heard of fuel rations ranging from 20:1 to 50:1.

Also, what is the ideal mix ratio of say 110 racing fuel to standard marine pump gas? Does higher octane provide a longer power stroke duration? Is this beneficial? What is the overiding factors to shoot for? I know that OMCs are very low on torque so energy management in the turns is critical.

Bob Smiley
    Based on your numbers for the full stroke cylindere volume:

pi = 3 142 ....

Cyl vol = 1.76 x [pi (2.218)^2} / 4 = 6.8 cubic inches ,this is a small engine at 13.6 c.i.

Combustion chamber vol = 13.5 / 16.387 = 0.824 c.i.

Compression ratio = (6.8 + 0.824) / 0.824 = 9.25 : 1

Cold crank expected max pressure = 14.7 (9.25 - 1) = 121 psi

--------------------------------------------------
    Exhaust port cyl volume = 6.8 x 1.203/1.76 = 4.65 c.i.

Exhaust port compression ratio = (4.65 + 0.824) / 0.824 = 6.64 : 1 This is 72% of full stroke ratio. Typ stock engines have a exhaust port compression ratio about of 65 to 75%of full stroke value

Cold crank pressure at 1st pull = 14.7(6.64 - 1) = 83 psi

Check my math, All numbers are approx but you should read similiar values from your compression gage. If you don't have a good gage get one and protect it.

When you do a cold crank compression test squirt a gas oil mix the engine will run on into cylinderes and hand pull 6 or so times to get cylindere walls coated then do compression test. Keep sparkies out of the plug wires and pull the plug wires away from the open plug holes or .
    I always use more oil to get the seal as less oil lhan recommended ratio is bad for the rings, cyl walls and bearings. I never noticed a performance drop with more oil.

I mix at 20:1 for revs at 7000+ for my 25ss and Yamato Y80. What is recommended for your OMC as a fishing engine ? What ever it is just double the oil should be ok.

These are low compression engines and IMO in stock trim they really don't benifit from 110 av gas. just use regular non ethanol and you will be fine. That's what I use. Of course do your own tests with a tach and gps and see results.

Pay attention to the mag timing for each cylindere and spark plugs that's where good performance can be gained. And each cylindere needs to fire at exactly 180 degrees apart at the assigned pistion position BTDC. I do not know what BTDC inches works for your engine. You need to ask other racers. But in the final analysis Test, Test ....... and learn how to read spark plugs. Always start with the colder plug and move toward hotter plug if needed. Do you have a dial indicator and a buzz box?

Just carefully clean the ring grooves of all carbon with a chemical decarbonizer no scraping, and lap both sides of each ring on a glass surface with 600 grit wet or dry paper with light machine oil or marvel mystery oil. I use a circular motion. Hold each ring with a flat shape (like a wood block that will not mar the surface ) that covers the ring to keep it flat to the glass. Don't overdo the lap you just want to get a finish that is clean.

Check the reed settings and adjust as needed.

Carburation and jetting also needs attention.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree on all points, good advice
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought hi octane fuel would not benefit these motors much. No I do not have a buzz box nor a dial indicator to check timing. The flywheel is marked so that is good.I need to get a depth guage, I agree.

Since these are electronic ignition can you set the timing without running the engine. There are no points to open. I haven't tried it. The manual says you need a timing light and run it. Need to look at that closer. I do have a test barrell but the test wheel in the barrell gives erattic tach readings.

50:1 oil is recommended for fishing motors. 25:1 sounds about right. Some guys do 32:1. I like the idea of a better seal. I will check the plugs after a heat and see if they are clean at that ratio.

There is more to do. I will find out more about timing from other racers as you suggested.

Bob Smiley

Post Thanks / Like

Default compression

Quote Originally Posted by smiley View Post
    I thought hi octane fuel would not benefit these motors much. No I do not have a buzz box nor a dial indicator to check timing. The flywheel is marked so that is good.I need to get a depth guage, I agree.

Since these are electronic ignition can you set the timing without running the engine. There are no points to open. I haven't tried it. The manual says you need a timing light and run it. Need to look at that closer. I do have a test barrell but the test wheel in the barrell gives erattic tach readings.

50:1 oil is recommended for fishing motors. 25:1 sounds about right. Some guys do 32:1. I like the idea of a better seal. I will check the plugs after a heat and see if they are clean at that ratio.

There is more to do. I will find out more about timing from other racers as you suggested.

Bob Smiley
    On CDI systems (no points) a timing light is needed with engine running. If you lock the mag at full advance timing can be set at idle rpm.Get an inductive type light that clamps around the spark plug wire for the signal and is powered by 12v battery. This way it can be used for other things like autos, cycles, etc.

The dial indicator can be helpful to check the factory marks on the flywheel for TDC and max timing by piston position. I did this on my 25ss which is CDI system and made a series of timing marks on the flywheel rim and a stationary index pointer to set timing.

Don't understand erratic tach readings, if tach properly hooked up barrel running should not make a didderence. What type of tach?

Post Thanks / Like

Default on my advice

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    I agree on all points, good advice
    2nds are appreciated. Thank you

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you will need a timing light and hence set up a timing mark with a piston stop.
    I would also degree your flywheel and check the timing of both cylinders.
    Cross flows can have a wide range of advance from runs fine but is gutless to instant detonate.
    110 or avgas just makes life safe.
    Remeber timing at idle will be differetn at wot

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I made a dial indicator for my antique KG4 and KG7s and a battery with a light bulb for breaking points. I will obtrain a timing light and get a depth guage. my problem is the spark plugs are angled into the holes. A depth guage may not work. UGH So it is important to use the degree plate and mark the flywheel.

Regards to erratic tach readings. The tach is fine. I have two. The Tiny Tach and the Aim Data acquisition system. What I meant is that at full throttle the water in the barrel sloshes around and presents an uneven work load on the motor. If I understand you correctly; obtain a tach reading at a certain timing setting at Idle. That will work in the barrell. Go out and test the boat and performance at that setting and use the idle tach reading as your base. Is that what you mean?

Can you define cross flows for me? I have not heard that term before.

I did goof when I assembled the engine. I put in new postions, rings, gaskets, seals and one bearing but forgot to lap the rings. Oh well. next time.

This is a very informative discussion for me. Thanks for you input.

Bob Smiley

ps 6 days to Lake Lawrence.

Thread Information