Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chryslers in OPC...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang View Post
    Wow Bill, sounds like a great project. Pse show us some photos as you go along. I want to fit a flex flywheel to a Force4, made up of a billet aluminium ring and utilizing the original hub and magnets. Any recommendations regarding the flexplate material??? rgds, W
    Material for the flexplate is going to be full hard, spring steel, I am just going to use a merc in-line service flywheel flex plate. Very common, any salvage barn is going to have stacks of them.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks Bill. What`s the diameter of these? Unfortunately we do not have salvage yards for boat engines here, hence before I order one or two, I`d better make sure to find something which will fit. The holes can be lasered or waterjetted (presumably better as this is a cold process).

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang View Post
    Wow Bill, sounds like a great project. Pse show us some photos as you go along. I want to fit a flex flywheel to a Force4, made up of a billet aluminium ring and utilizing the original hub and magnets. Any recommendations regarding the flexplate material??? rgds, W
    Just a note: there are some very interesting spreadsheets on outboardparts.com, Chrysler/Force section, showing whether con rods were top or bottom guided, no. of splines in crank bottoms, where the latest Force motors used Merc parts or even complete Merc engines, the bore variations, etc. Any help with testwheel dimensions?

Post Thanks / Like

My father racing SEA EAGLE III at Port Macquarie NSW Australia in 1975. The boat was powered by a Chrysler 150HP Stacker engine at the time.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SUPER STRANGLER View Post

My father racing SEA EAGLE III at Port Macquarie NSW Australia in 1975. The boat was powered by a Chrysler 150HP Stacker engine at the time.
    pity the photo doesn`t come with that great sound emanating from the two stacks!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chrysler 49 ci Mid....

Lends itself well to sectioning because it is very straight. I took 5 inches out of this one because it is easy, I could have taken more out of it but it would have required more effort tinkering around with the swivel and the tuner.

I have the adapter plate made for the Chrysler race unit. Final product will be a prototype "what if Chrysler built a MOD 50?".
    Attached Images Attached Images  

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Weight of chrysler?

Assuming they weighed the motors fully dressed, anybody else notice how much lighter the Chrysler 49ci is than its competition in its day, same thing with the 135-150 stacker?

They are like 50 pounds or maybe more less in weight than the comparable merc or omc.

Whats up with that?

Ronny

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, chryslers were always known for being light. It was one of the pleasure motor selling points.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well..some Chrysler models was also known for water in the lower unit..!!..
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here is another Chrysler

This is Johnny Johnson in a boat built by himself here in Houston. Photo was taken in about 1972 at one of the local races.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information