Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Chryslers in OPC...

Hybrid View

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chryslers in OPC...

Looking for info, facts, pictures,stories related to Chryslers in OPC racing, particularly in the SG or SJ classes in the early 70s. I am looking mainly for info related to the service motors without stacks and racing gearcases (the 135 and 150 stuff is pretty well documented). Any info appreciated.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chryslers in racing ?

Chrysler had no motor suitable for "G" it would not be allowed in that class ,anyway, because the motor was a 3 cylinder w/72.39 cu. in. Making it eligible for "H" class. The 4 cylinder had 96.55 cubic inches - it would be eligible for

j class , but with that crummy lower unit gear case ,it's not gonna be competitive . the 3 &4 cylinders used same gear case with different ratios .The 3 cyl had 15-26 ratio -the 4 cyl had 16-25 ratio. in the mid 70's ,the 3 cylinder ratio was changed to 13-26 . I still have a brand new, in the box, 13-26 gearfoot ,if anyone needs to buy a replacement .
    Last edited by Roy Hodges; 08-30-2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: a correction

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not true......

Chrysler did build a legal SG motor, a special edition 85. It was a short stroke, short (17") shaft version of the standard 20" 85 horse, 69.81 cubes. See the attached scans for proof of this engine. (It was painted black interestingly.) There is a typo in the specs you will note, stroke in inches should be 2.7, millimeter dimension is correct.
    I remember seeing SG class run in region 8 and it fielded a good number of chryslers.

Yes the old 2 piece lowers were crappy but in 72 Chrysler had a 130, there were OMC 125s running in SJ also with a crappy lower....I would bet there were a few Chryslers out there at that time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chryslers -

You might think I didn't like Chryslers- ? I did like them , I had a 3 cylinder 70 horse on a pontoon boat . REAL good motor . They just had lousy lower units. (performance wise ).I happen to think, that, back then, if the 130 horse had a merc 150 X S lower , it would have given the 125 & maybe the 135 Mercs a tough way to go in F J & S J classes.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great info on the Chryslers in opc...tried to open the pics but failed would love to see them.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Great info on the Chryslers in opc...tried to open the pics but failed would love to see them.
    I can't open the attachments either for some reason..don't know why.
    I just tried to post them as jpegs and that doesn't work either

If you pm me your email I will send the scans that way.

Thread Information