Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chryslers in OPC...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chryslers in OPC...

Looking for info, facts, pictures,stories related to Chryslers in OPC racing, particularly in the SG or SJ classes in the early 70s. I am looking mainly for info related to the service motors without stacks and racing gearcases (the 135 and 150 stuff is pretty well documented). Any info appreciated.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chryslers in racing ?

Chrysler had no motor suitable for "G" it would not be allowed in that class ,anyway, because the motor was a 3 cylinder w/72.39 cu. in. Making it eligible for "H" class. The 4 cylinder had 96.55 cubic inches - it would be eligible for

j class , but with that crummy lower unit gear case ,it's not gonna be competitive . the 3 &4 cylinders used same gear case with different ratios .The 3 cyl had 15-26 ratio -the 4 cyl had 16-25 ratio. in the mid 70's ,the 3 cylinder ratio was changed to 13-26 . I still have a brand new, in the box, 13-26 gearfoot ,if anyone needs to buy a replacement .
    Last edited by Roy Hodges; 08-30-2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: a correction

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not true......

Chrysler did build a legal SG motor, a special edition 85. It was a short stroke, short (17") shaft version of the standard 20" 85 horse, 69.81 cubes. See the attached scans for proof of this engine. (It was painted black interestingly.) There is a typo in the specs you will note, stroke in inches should be 2.7, millimeter dimension is correct.
    I remember seeing SG class run in region 8 and it fielded a good number of chryslers.

Yes the old 2 piece lowers were crappy but in 72 Chrysler had a 130, there were OMC 125s running in SJ also with a crappy lower....I would bet there were a few Chryslers out there at that time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chryslers -

You might think I didn't like Chryslers- ? I did like them , I had a 3 cylinder 70 horse on a pontoon boat . REAL good motor . They just had lousy lower units. (performance wise ).I happen to think, that, back then, if the 130 horse had a merc 150 X S lower , it would have given the 125 & maybe the 135 Mercs a tough way to go in F J & S J classes.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great info on the Chryslers in opc...tried to open the pics but failed would love to see them.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Great info on the Chryslers in opc...tried to open the pics but failed would love to see them.
    I can't open the attachments either for some reason..don't know why.
    I just tried to post them as jpegs and that doesn't work either

If you pm me your email I will send the scans that way.

Post Thanks / Like

The only one I knew of was Baker, he held a record with a Viper and a Chrysler, as well, they would come down from Minn with a few boats with Chryslers on them

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chrysler stuff

Yes, Ron kind of spearheaded a big Chrysler revival around '80. We went to a few of the region 8 races at that time. I remember him beating a whole field of Merc 150s in JP with a 135. Randy Pierson had a 4 carb Chrysler with a short tower he ran in Mod 100 that was fast. There was a strong GP class going with the special edition 85s at that time as well.

I found this picture on the Hydrostream registry, I remember this boat from some of the races I went to but can't remember the driver's name. Its an old Scotti with newer cowls....same type my dad put on his 'stream.....I think Simberger was selling them at the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know who that is but at the end of 100 classes there was also Roddy Foreman who ran with Force cowls

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pictures from above

These are Jpegs from above

Dan

Thread Information