Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OMC tilt assembly ID ???

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default lift

Quote Originally Posted by tim respess View Post
    I owned this motor years ago and just got it back in my possession. I took it partially apart to inspect it. It is a running motor with good pistons rings and ZERO carbon build up. It has the original high compression heads, flex plate flywheel and a V-6 starter. When I owned it originally I sent the gearcase to OMC to have it resealed. When I got it back they had installed this pointed nose cone rather than the blunt one it had before. It has about 10 hours run time on the case and the last P/H rebuild. I plan on polishing it back out and restore it and rig it on a suitable tunnel. One thing I thing I think might be unique about this engine is that it has a hydraulic lift built into the swivel bracket which has 1" of up and down travel.
    All of the 70's OMC race engines had the power lift, including the rotary. It was powered by a Merc power trim unit(pump, motor and resivor). They also had a second Merc unit for power trim. The gearcase appears to be the 14/27 used on the V-4 and early V-6 race engines.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Heads

Your right about the sand cast heads. When I got it they were on it and had very high compression. After I stuck a piston I put this set on. This set of heads were still available in 1977. The power lift is done using an OMC tilt motor and pump, which I have.The motor isn't quite as rough as it looks in the pictures. Sorry about the size, I'm having trouble resizing right now.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The heads in the picture are the standard KC heads for the 1/8" deck pistons. I thought the pistons would hit on a zero deck motor...are you sure they aren't hitting?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    All of the 70's OMC race engines had the power lift, including the rotary. It was powered by a Merc power trim unit(pump, motor and resivor). They also had a second Merc unit for power trim. The gearcase appears to be the 14/27 used on the V-4 and early V-6 race engines.
    The early KCs were like the GTs were, thrust jack motors without any trim or vertical lift.
    The updated ones had factory installed trim and lift.

Thread Information