Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: More from EP Class 1977-1985

Post Thanks / Like

Default More from EP Class 1977-1985

1. Memorabilia from ca. 1977

2. My 1980 13' Allison. Jay Cox and I had widened the 5.5" pad to 8 " right after I'd picked up the boat in Louisville, and that was too much: the tail ran deeper in the water. However, I let George Laycock (130lb) drive it in the 1980 NOA 40-70V Class Nationals (NOA had no weight limits in any class) and he won, beating the 85 Mariners that had dominated the class all season.

3. With Joe Burgess leading in the GP Nationals at Eufaula in 1981. I finally passed him but we both were disqualified for jumping the gun, so Danny Critchfield won in spite of running far behind us. Jay Cox said to Danny as we were waiting to be weighted, 'It's better to be lucky than smart', but Joe and I weren't smart or lucky that day.

4. John Calley and me somewhere in Central Texas, ca. 1983.

5. John Calley (333), me (853), Terry Strack (353), Texas, ca. 1984. The gray 13' (7" pad) was my fastest EP boat. John's driving my old red/white 13' Allison, Terry's in John's old orange/white 14' Allison. I won, but after I got out of their way in 1985 both John and Terry won a whole string of EP National Championships!

6,7,8. I got on a Johnson poster without ever driving a Johnson-?

9. My garage workshop in 1981 after Havasu. Unordnung, but very effective .... . If you look hard you can see my Rundquist pitch gauge on the workbench. I did my own prop work, discovered a camber effect that no one else understood at the time. Louis Baumann had let me use his Houston prop shop in 1978, 1979.

10. 1977 ad.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1987

Here are some of the same guys in 1987 KKK
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Talking EP Class

Beautiful pictures, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by billy-jay View Post
    Here are some of the same guys in 1987 KKK

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Very cool!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Smokin Joe and Billy-Jay what speeds were your boats doing??

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 850cc racer View Post
    67 mph in closed course, marathon. Over 71 mph set up for record run, although the gray 1982 13' boat never had a chance for time trials. I ran before power trim was allowed, so I could have run upward of 69 mph in closed course with trim. However, I limited blowing over to once/year on the average.

Now, I've got a nutshell that will blaze along at 26 mph with a 1981 Evinrude 15! High winding little motor .... . I do admit to a hot head on the 15, but the APBA Evinrude 75 was stock.

Post Thanks / Like

thats cool as. i have a done 75mph with my mod 50 (still tuning majorly fat) 75mph with my single throat finger ported 70.

i do have a dead stock power head here thats been around the world a few thousand times.. is well run in and ill see what it does with that on.

its interesting reading your posts!! i love the 75's only motor to own

i wish i could have been racing way back then!!

thanks for your pics they tell more then a thousand words!!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

thats cool as. i have a done 75mph with my mod 50 (still tuning majorly fat) 75mph with my single throat finger ported 70.

i do have a dead stock power head here thats been around the world a few thousand times.. is well run in and ill see what it does with that on.

its interesting reading your posts!! i love the 75's only motor to own

i wish i could have been racing way back then!!

thanks for your pics they tell more then a thousand words!!

Your boat runs dry, nice shot of a surfacing prop in action. I just instigated a long discussion of surfacing props on

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/pro...cing-propeller

Good discussion with some naval architects and several well-informed laymen (no laywomen took part).

Post Thanks / Like

Im going to say 67+ at 840 lbs.with out power trim.That pic was 1987 KKK closed course nationals...#43 was Jeff Titus...Terry Strack# 353 won,Jeff Titus 2nd then me in # 302 finished 3rd. That was a great time...I remember my buddy Tim Toth said to give that thrust jack a couple more turns and I did... and me at 210 lbs...well it was all I could do to hold her down...after the race Tim said with a smile that he was only kidding... ps...#370 was Rocky Jordan

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by billy-jay View Post
    Im going to say 67+ at 840 lbs.with out power trim.That pic was 1987 KKK closed course nationals...#43 was Jeff Titus...Terry Strack# 353 won,Jeff Titus 2nd then me in # 302 finished 3rd. That was a great time...I remember my buddy Tim Toth said to give that thrust jack a couple more turns and I did... and me at 210 lbs...well it was all I could do to hold her down...after the race Tim said with a smile that he was only kidding... ps...#370 was Rocky Jordan
    My 67 was with a radar gun. Close to my Aquameter speedometer reading. Today we have GPS.

Thread Information