Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Orange Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunnelboat View Post
    I really think your time can be spent more positively than speculating or commenting on what happened...
    We all race to win and we all sometimes make poor judgements or mistakes...I dont believe this forum is meant for personal attacks...

Mike Beegle
    There is no personal attack. I watched the boat run and made an observation.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Shep;97726]I talked to Jimmi (69) he was in the corner at slow speeds. had to cross a wake from inside to outside as he was going out the boat in front slide out too causing Jimmi to ride up the rooster tail. The blue boat was apparently moving at a very slow pace ( not up to racing speeds ) and they collided.

this information is incorrect???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RForeman View Post
    Merleau never saw the slower blue boat as he went through the rooster tail. So, I would say BOTH drivers need to think about what happened on Saturday which could have killed someone. Glad everyone is OK! -Roddy
    Come on now.....are you talking about Glyn here ? He was safely working his way through the field of boats, accidents happen out on the race course, sometimes they end up bad, sometimes they end up looking really bad, in this case the drivers were extremely lucky and it looked really bad ! But as a driver if your leading all you should do is drive within your skill set and abide by the apba's rules on lanes and overlap, the person trying to catch you should not risk everything on the race course to make a pass.

As far as the optimax in the 120 class goes, i personally think it has nothing to do with the accident, although in a perfect world it would be cool to see everyone running an opti

Post Thanks / Like

What is the history of the blue boat? It seems kinda odd that the upper part of a cell would tear out from the deck with such clean lines. Has the boat been in an accident previously and repaired?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a video from a spectator,the quality is pretty bad but maybe it will help determine what happened. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n73j0Mii0Fk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hebert51 View Post
    Come on now.....are you talking about Glyn here ? He was safely working his way through the field of boats, accidents happen out on the race course, sometimes they end up bad, sometimes they end up looking really bad, in this case the drivers were extremely lucky and it looked really bad !
    I didn't say either driver was driving unsafe nor did I say they were not driving by the APBA rules. Glyn was driving the way I or most drivers would drive when a faster (top end) boat is behind you trying to pass. I just said everyone needs to think about what happened for future races. Obviously, there is one driver that made a mistake but given the timing and the situation am not sure he could have done anything differently. Hard to avoid hitting a much slower boat that you can not see...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Glyn mathews;97768]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    I talked to Jimmi (69) he was in the corner at slow speeds. had to cross a wake from inside to outside as he was going out the boat in front slide out too causing Jimmi to ride up the rooster tail. The blue boat was apparently moving at a very slow pace ( not up to racing speeds ) and they collided.

this information is incorrect???
    That was the version Jimmi told me. He did not blame anyone.
    Shep

Post Thanks / Like

Default fault

this was a tragic accident for
    ruben,jimmy, and sst120 opc

1st off ruben was on the same pace trailing the leader boat 3 boats back only
    was not a slow boat ,,,,,,,,period,,,,,,,,,,,dont go there
    leader boat was tracy hawkins and he won a heat last weekend
    so these boats were not slow boats

2nd is glyn mathews is the most consistant precise driver and boat set up on the water in 120,,,,,,,,,,,
    and for being the fastest boat in the class across the nation is the most courtious driver on the course
    so dont go there either,,,,,,,,,,,,there is not a 120 driver out there that will say any different
    that has ever raced with him.........

this was a bad trailing boat driver error in judgement,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    as a driver we have all made them,,,,,,,,,,
    last yr same style sinerio on 1st lap after a start i moved into in 2nd,,,,i had overlap on 3 place boat boat and dove into the bouy,,,,,trailing boat went through my rooster and almost hit another boat to his right ,,,,,,,,
    yes i had clearance,,,,,,,but bad judgement on my part to dive in like that,,,,,
    cause same accident could have happened
    i was thinking of getting to the inside of leader boat more than domino effect
    that cold happen of me diving in

as a driver and with a radio man,,,,,,,,trailing boat sees the boats immediately in front of him while on the course,,,,,,,,just because ruben was hidden with spray through 2nd corner ,,,,trailing boat and radio man HAD to see and know ruben was in lane 2 down previous straight and HAD to see glyn move in to lane 1 beside him BEFORE the 1st bouy,,,,,,,,,,,,,and inbetween the 2 bouys
    driver error not to move to the outside on turn 1,,,,or between bouys
    and not be on the inside of leading boat thats in lane 1 to drive through 2 roosters at a turn
    this is a triangle shaped course,,,between the 2 bouys is a lot of distance,,,not a u shaped corner,,,,,,,,,turn,,,straight,,, turn ,,,,,type corner
    just a bad judgement call on driver,,,,,,,,,,,,thats all

as far as the boat it was an older gran prix capsule
    pre 2005 so would be a 2,000 newton capsule
    as a uim certified builder for 4,000
    can tell u with jimmy being airboat upon impact,,,,,
    since there is no sctatches on the left top deck at all,,,,,,,,
    angle was jimmys right sponsom went across motor at angle and pickle fork hit back wall off capsule where cowling fits in,,,,there is pices of pickle in back wall,,,,,,,,,,

yes the top of capsule sheered off as a faster moving object with more rigid end cap hit the opening of the back capsule wall,,,,,thats like a sledge hammer hitting the back of a bottle,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    being a gran prix they are built with a curved back walll for deflection
    and thank god it did its job
    the capsule top did sheere as jimmys boat went across the top of it
    but the back wall stayed and ruben the driver was till held in the seat when rest was missing,,,,,,,,,,,,
    so dont be blaming a capsule that did its job of saving a life cause of its age,,,,,,
    in bay city a few yrs ago there was an accident where the impact location was in the
    same location,,,,,,and that back wall collapsed and driver was injured,,,,,,,,,

this was a bad accident,,,both driver came out ok,,,,,,,,,
    walked away from it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    no reson for any1 to bash any1 ,,,,,,,
    just a bad driver error,,,,and driver feels bad enough for what happened
    john

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

John
    Go read the start of this thread again. I only relayed what I was told by one of the drivers involved and The ONLY reason for that is the Optimax motor was wrongly being blamed for causing the accident. No One has or is assigning blame for the accident. I would and have raced deck to deck with all of them (even Tracy).

Jimmi Never said it was anything more than a racing accident to me.

Shep

Post Thanks / Like

Default all good

hey shep
    its all good,,,didnt state off of any1s quotes
    just wanting to let any1 not there know the facts of each boat
    i like u have raced deck to deck with them all,,,,,,,
    i just stepped in to add my 2 cents that
    ruben was not off the course pace,,,,
    and that an innocent driver or boat does not get blamed for anything
    when he was riding deck to deck with glyn through the turns
    glyns and jimmys boats are the 2 most dialed in boats
    and its up to drivers to respect the rest of the field
    just because they are not as fast as them 2 ,,,by no means says they are slow
    and i bit my tongue not to say how i feel about
    TODAYS OPTI running with ther 120s,,,,,,,,,,,

but was getting point across that there is more boats on the course to respect
    than the 1 boat your trying to catch,,,,,,,,,,,

Thread Information