Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tune pipe ajustment for Kneeler

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tune pipe ajustment for Kneeler

Hi can any body help I have a Kneel down Tunnel boat in Australia with a yamato 302 which i run in the 550cc super sport class, I have been running a Lee Titzel tune pipe for about 6 month now with no ajustment & i am now looking for more performance out of it can any body tell how the Kneelers ajust the pipe "I know the laydown guys use their foot " their must be some sort of hand ajustment that you guys use any ideas or pic would be appreciated
    Thanks Darren

Post Thanks / Like

Kneel down boats use a pipe puller that is located forward of your throttle and uses the same cable that the deadmans throttle uses ..

All you need to do is make a cable clamp on your header manifold forward of the pipe, when its all the way closed weld a small pin on the pipe to attach the cable to we used old shear pins ... Just keep things in a straight line on the manifold and pipe and it will slide easy...

When you get mid way down the straight you can just reach forward with a finger or two and pull it ... When you get to the turn you just need to let go of the lever and the back pressure from the engine slides the pipe back...

I dont know any one who makes one.. I wish I did cause I want one.. It would be easy to make out of a piece of aluminum plate.. They look like a backwards question mark ?.. The one I had was a desliva and it was a cast piece..

I forgot to add i also had a boat that the throttle was mounted on a slide mechanism and to pull the pipe you slid the whole throttle forward and then back thu the turns... I didnt like it... The lever was much easier for me..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not that hard to do

Kneelers move the pipes in one of three ways. Hand throttle is mounted to a pivot, or throttle is mounted to horizontal slide. Either way the pipes are pulled into position and the exhaust pressure is used to return pipes to extended length. Most applications are home made. Many applications only use a simple cable to attach from throttle to pipes. The third way is to use a foot lever to do the same thing. Use a stop on either the pipe or cable to prevent the pipe from flying off the engine!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=ProHydroRacer;97873 Use a stop on either the pipe or cable to prevent the pipe from flying off the engine![/QUOTE]

Good point..

I forgot about that its been a while since i messed with my Bmod.. We welded a long stud on the manifold facing backwards with a hitch pin in the end... We welded a large fender washer a thick one if you can find it on the pipe..

So basicaly the stud worked as a guide for the pipe kept it from twisting and comming off .. I also used a piece of steering cable mounted to the pipe hanger and to the stinger end of the pipe.. I remember I kept the cable adjusted so when the pipe slid out from the back pressure the cable would adsorb the impact and kept me from breaking the manifold ....

If your using a lee tietz set up the stud should already be on the manifold... and the washer should already be on the pipe.. My buddy was runnning that set up on a 302 and i remember us not having to much to make it work...

Question... Prohydro.. Do know any one who may have some of those old pro elbows or manifold for a single pipe set up yamato 80 I think they used them in the RB class... they may have been used for something else...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have what you are looking for. Cast aluminum manifold that bolts on block that will accept either a "Y" fabricated manifold that one pipe slides on, or two header pipes for a two pipe set up, and the expansion chambers themselves. Also have the support brackets for the two pipe setup.

Expansion chambers probably would not work for MOD as these pipes were made for the higher RPM range that my RB engines ran in.

All the above fabricated by ZAK. If you are interested PM me and we can discuss price.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys for all the advice have set up a hand ajustment on the steering wheel with a bike brake lever just waiting on a cable to be made then off to test it fingers crossed, Already had the ajustments on the manifold "as Tunnelboat said" again thanks for all the advice.

Thread Information