Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steering cable setup

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ToneDef View Post
    Rigged the steering up direct today using 1/4" SS flat bar for a motor bar. Even though the hub is very small (it's an old helm I had laying around) it still steers with more response and in a tighter radius than I will ever need to go while at speed. Need to find some SS cable though, all I was able to get my hands on is plastic coated steel zinc plated cable, but I am only in fresh water for now so it will suffice for a short time.
    Brown Tool & machine has SS cable & rope for steering. Forgot to mention another way to adjust steer ratio to a small degree is steer bar length.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention: we don't use any springs in our steering systems. Shape and/or postion the steering arms so that the ends -- where the cable attaches -- are in line with the engine's tilt tube. This way, when engine tilt changes, cable tension stays the same.

Tunnelboat and V-bottom Plans for 15-35 hp, 40-60 hp, 60-80 hp

Dillon-Racing.com also on YouTube, on Facebook, on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman View Post
    I forgot to mention: we don't use any springs in our steering systems. Shape and/or postion the steering arms so that the ends -- where the cable attaches -- are in line with the engine's tilt tube. This way, when engine tilt changes, cable tension stays the same.

Ive been doing it different, also w/o springs. Aligning the pulley pivot with the steer pin center line instead. This does make the tilt up tight for a second till over center but theres enough flex. On most motors you cant align both tilt & steer exactly. I wonder if in between would be good. On the OMC shown thats about a 4" to 5" difference to split.

Thread Information