Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John R. Woods

Post Thanks / Like

Default John R. Woods

I just received a phone call from Johnny Dortch stating John Woods was killed in a motorcycle accident on his farm in Southern Missouri yesterday afternoon.

No other details available at this time.

Saddly, today would have been John's birthday.

Another name has been added to the registration at "Lake Paradise"

Rest in peace, John R. Woods

Last edited by Mark75H; 10-17-2008 at 04:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default John RIner Woods As He Called Himself

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...hn+riner+woods

John always called himself John Riner Woods for St. Louis, Missoura......

The only billionaire I ever knew......and one of the greatest guys I ever knew......

Johnny's job for the last 10-15 years has been helping people give their money away. He was the YOUNGEST SENIOR PARTNER of E.F. HUTTON and had a seat on the New York Stock Exchange when he was 21....About 12 years ago, Johnny called me out of the blue and wanted me to go to an Angel games. He explained he was in town to help Jackie Autrey give away some of her money and wanted to take me to a game with them...I told Johnny I'd be out of town, at a boat race, and could not make the game but why not take my brother....

Seems Johnny had half forgotten my brother...He called my brother and they all went to the game...Every summer since, I think, my brother and his wife, Carolyn, go to Michigan an vistit Johnny and Judy on John's island....

But, 12 years agao, I told John Riner Woods I could go to dinner with him and we met at a lcoal hotel near Disneyland...My youngest son, Broc, asked Johnny at dinner...."Johnny, he said, My daddy says you have lots of money. Is that true?" Johnny answered, "Son I have more money than your daddy thinks I have..."

Johnny always admitted to being born rich, and never really understood why...He enjoyed his wealth, when you were with John...He was just one of the boys....A FUN GUY. A NICE GUY....I always knew that if I ever needed something big or small I could call John and it would he would take care of it...or advise me on how to take care of it.

In 1966, at DePue, Johnny told me to be sure and chew that corn I was eating....We laughed like crazy people....Now, ...42 years later, I never eat corn without telling everyone to be sure and chew their corn....

Where you're at now John..You be sure an chew your corn.....

John bought the TED MAY plaque at DePue, my brother was bidding on it, until he saw John Riner Woods was too...Russ said, "If Johnny wants the plaque...I'm sure he will out bid me"

John once tried to give APBA a MILLION dollars, APBA couldn't figure out how to take it, so they never did...

John raced Outboards, OPC and Inboards...in great style..His boats were called Speculation...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 10-18-2008 at 09:04 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Passing of a Great Quincy Racing Legend

I just received word from my good friend, Johnny Dortch, that John Woods was killed yesterday in a tragic motorcycle accident.

John Riner Woods raced Quincy Welding engines for many years. I have many fond memories as a child of attending boat races with John. John was always a true gentleman to everyone he met. He lived in the St. Louis area.

More to follow.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Post Thanks / Like

Default John Woods

Enjoy the "JOURNEY'. It's way too short!

I'm glad I had him autograph a picture at the De Pue reunion.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Default John Riner Woods

Johnny Woods passed away last night. I have lost a good friend, and boat racing has lost one its best friends.

From what I’m able to obtain from the St. Louis newspaper and what I heard from the HR person at Stout, he crashed his motorcycle head on into a 18 wheeler.

The paper said, “at 1:08 p.m. today, [ October 16] John R. Woods, 68, of St. Louis, was seriously injured” He was medevaced to a St. Louis hospital, where he died during the night.

His 69th birthday is today (Oct 17)

That’s all I know, but his HR person has my phone # and will call me with any further information, when it’s known. I will post here.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...1?OpenDocument

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glad We Had Time With Johnny

I know everyone that atended the reunion in DePue are thankful for our time with Johnny. It was great to visit with him. You know how Johnny could make you feel like it was just a few years ago. Thanks for all the good times Johnny. RIP

Post Thanks / Like

sorry u guys lost a good friend.
    kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Default John Woods

I had the pleasure of seeing John after too many years in DePue last year. He will be missed and Lake Paradise has another friend to join the ones already there. Rest well John.........until the 3 minute gun.
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sam for adding John's picture eating an ear of corn at the 2007 Reunion.

Ron, don't you know he chewed that stuff well!

John and his brother Dave were loyal Quincy Welding customers for years. Their trailer was an exact copy of the QW trailer except it was painted BLUE.

John even drove Quincy Welding's boats during Jim Schoch's leave of absense.

While he was the wealthiest man most of us knew on a friend to freind basis, John never flaunted his wealth. We were all very comfortable being around him.

It was great seeing and talking with John at DePue. He knew my son was coming home from Iraq in a matter of days and he seemed as excited about that as I was.

While few if any of us BDOBR's were John's peer when comparing balance sheets, he accepted all of us as his peers as men and women.

John was fortunate that not all of his wealth was calculated in dollars and cents.

John was well respected by the racing family and he will be missed.

We'll all see you soon John!

Post Thanks / Like

John was a fierce competitor whose driving skills were matched only by his non-stop sense of humor and boundless enthusiasm. It was a pleasure to know him and to spend many hours in the pits with him.

Thread Information