Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The Harrison Racing Outboards - Legendary Birmingham Metal Products Alky Outboards

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Third batch of aluminum engine block pics.

Final HRP aluminum block pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Harrison aluminum blocks bolt right up to Anzani crankcases.

These Harrison A and B Alky aluminum crankcases nicely and cleanly mate right up to Anzani crankcases with perfect block to cranlcase bolting and meeting the Anzani rotary valve opening dead on in the format.

The Anzani crankcases pictured make the A or B class Harrison blocks in each case a single carb engine.

Enjoy the pictures.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Harrison 2 carb engine with Harrison Flywheel Ignition & Harrison Crankcase Assy.

The following pictorial features the transition of the Harrison from where it was a minor player parts in number wise it was earlier to where now the only part of the powerhead not Harrison is the Anzani split crankcase. This combination saw it use 1 smaller rotary valve related carb and a primary carb mounted on the alumimum engine block. This engine uses Harrison's own very heavy duty full circle piece together crankshaft with Konig rods with roller bearings on the small and big ends. The Anzani crankcase required top and bottom main bearing holders to be machined out larger to fit major caged roller bearings that would handle any power this class B block could develop. It is not presently known if these equipped engines which used open bell pipes ever saw later generation "bounce pipe" (expansion chamber) use and development.

At some point near after Harrison would soon have its own robust heavy duty aluminum crankcase making the powerhead nearing 100% Harrison built as in the picture of the Harrison racing engine topping an Anzani tower and gearcase that featured in the first pages of this thread. The late model Harrisons by then had 2 front mounted Tillotson HL self pumping Alky carbs on reed bodies on the front crankcase and a Konig type rotary barrel Alky carb on the block.

The last pictures of this batch feature the Harrison aluminum steel cored magnetic flywheel, Phelon magneto electrics equipped Harrison stator plate combo'd to the upper crankshaft roller bearing carrier with top crankcase seal and Harrison rope plate and water deflector cap for the Harrison stator body. The whole stator assembly took some fine machining and is rotatable to change ignition timing with a 4 bolt lock down system.

Enjoy the pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey! I have 2 of those carb adapters I thought they were paper weights ... I would have never known if you hadn't posted those pictures!
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Sam, Tom Moulder supplied a host of those up here.

Pardon me Sir Sam! Tom Moulder (Hot Rod Engines, Elk River, Minnesota) supplied a lot of similar and slightly different obsolete carb adapaters to this area back in the 1990s. They were out of main stream Hot Rod use when Lectron carbs came along for A and B Hot Rod racing engines. I sold a box load for cheap to other people here, where I live and to others in the USA where others live. Others here spread them around too. They are useful to those that know how to use them. They were made for Hot Rod engines and their carbs but saw uses on other 2, 4 and 6 cylinder engines. Ever seen Tillotson HRs snomo carbs on a Merc 40 or 44? You can use the carbs horizontally, one their sides 90 degrees or upside down, I sure have. If you would note there are only 4 mounting holes on your pictures, careful examination of the ones used on the Harrisons show many more Harrison mounting holes than the 4 in your pics. They are similar, they are not the same.

You know? Going on fishing expeditions makes you look questionable. Do you look before you leap? I suggest you remove your post and pics as it makes you look questionable with questionable motives. Your doing yourself a dis-service. I would also remove this post in reaction at the same time as if this whole thing of yours didn't happen. I am hoping you will do the right thing?

Post Thanks / Like

HR's bolt directly on to Mercs, I know because I have a set I plan on using next year

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Yes and they work good too but their legality for Modified Outboard is ?????

Of course they work good on British Anzanis, Harrisons, Merc 30Hs, 55Hs, Merc 44s and Mark 75s too but their legality is questioned already. They are not a service carb for Modified unless the rules have been loosened?

Post Thanks / Like

You have no idea what the rules are, do you?

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default I read APBA specs and use what I want to without violating them.

I like you and many others use sanctioning bodies specs governing all engines. I might try this and that too and even experiment a bit like putting 2 Mikuni carbs on curved and formed rubber mounts hose type clamps clamped on a Merc 44 out of the magnetos way to see if and how they would work and they did. Does not mean I would use them or could use them? They are very temperature temperamental. I prefer Tillotsons from KC1s, KC2s, KC6s KC14s, KC15s depending one what course length is going on. Different flywheels, ignitions, fuel pumps, connectiong rods and yatta yatta yatta other things too. There are the rules though in the end for you and for me and for everyone else too.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Two curious emails - Harrison Flywheel might have OMC origins?

Two recent emails seemed to pose the questions, if the Harrison alluminum flywheel without Harrison ropeplate could be a machined off model of an OMC flywheel? One asked if there was any indication of a starter ring of sorts and the other wanted a picture posted to see the outside profile as machined off as it is. Can anyone shed light on this topic any further?

Thread Information